SouthPark vs Downtown Charlotte

monsoon

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be good if a department store would locate in and around the office buildings, as they have opposite peak times and could share a deck or two. That would allow for free parking and valet service.

I sure hope some department store retailer recognizes the value of downtown retail. Just like SouthPark doesn't serve the population within its square mile area, downtown retail wouldn't either. 12k is just the critical mass of people in walking distance. Downtown also has the office workers, and after 2009, significantly more tourists with the arts projects and the Nascar museum. I still don't know if downtown could support it yet, but I could see how it could. Especially in the 2009/2010 timeframe when many of the current boom of projects are completed and populated.

I don't even want a full-fledged mall downtown. We already have problems with clich

12k is just the critical mass of people in walking distance. Downtown also has the office workers, and after 2009, significantly more tourists with the arts projects and the Nascar museum. I still don't know if downtown could support it yet, but I could see how it could. Especially in the 2009/2010 timeframe when many of the current boom of projects are completed and populated.

There will always be those who don't want downtown, just like there will always be those that shun the mall. I haven't seen a deserted downtown in quite some time.

I don't know about these, but look for a big announcement this or next month. A big tower, office and residential, with 2 whole floors of retail on the ground and second floor...possibly anchored by a bookseller...

ooooooh oooooh did someone say the magic word? Bookstore :wub::wub: . I know it will be a long time coming and I don't know if I have the patience to wait, but hopefully one day Uptown will be a place where you can spend a nice day wandering like other cities have. We seem to be somewhat lurching in that direction. Hopefully :)

:lol:

I seem to think that we are going to get what we all know is coming (at least in a small dose) pretty soon. The soil sample I witnessed the other day really leads me to believe 300 South is "a go". (Retail included). I think between the WB project, Twelve, and the Vue, 300 South Tryon will be in me Top five for favorite projects proposed or u/c in Uptown.

A2

Archived