The hundreds of Waterfronts of Rotterdam

Ronald

"... my opinion of Rotterdam as a photographher has nothing to do with chauvinism. I am referring to the enormous variety that Rotterdam offers a photographer. In the reconstruction that followed the bombing, there are so many different styles. You don't come across such a rich variety of architecture anywhere else. In Rotterdam, you can make great photographs with your eyes closed. The result is always good." (D. Sellenraad, Dutch professional photographer)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the next pictures were taken in the 'Kop van Zuid' neighbourhood. All of this used to be a harbour/ industrial area a few decades ago. It has gone through a phase of restructuring, with a lot of construction still pending or coming in the near future.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

This type of residence is gaining ground lately.

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Streets named after architects are not uncommon here.

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

Question for you, Ronald. Is that cable-stayed bridge a swing bridge, or was someone pulling my leg?

Nice pics. I recognize many of those places, as I spent 2 days on the river working on a ship (one of the yellow work-boats). I wish I could've taken more pics, but that whole 'work' thing got in the way ;-)

The last ones:

Inside the court of justice.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

More harbour areas that might await restructuring in the future?

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

This is my first attempt at making a pano. I'm content with the left half, but I dislike the right half, it could have been better, if I had included the full hight of the skyscrapers downtown. Anyway, enjoy!

pano1xe0.jpg

Matt, I assume you are referring to the tall, blue-colored Erasmus bridge?

It's had some problems directly after it's opening in 1996. There was a storm, and the bridge started swinging due to the heavy wind.

Everything was fixed shortly after that, and the bridge is stable now when it's storming really hard.

So that person wasn't pulling your leg ;)

Matt, I assume you are referring to the tall, blue-colored Erasmus bridge?

It's had some problems directly after it's opening in 1996. There was a storm, and the bridge started swinging due to the heavy wind.

Everything was fixed shortly after that, and the bridge is stable now when it's storming really hard.

So that person wasn't pulling your leg ;)

Matt, that's the bridge I was talking about too. It is a drawbridge :)

GR8Scott, there aren't many detached houses in Rotterdam. The majority of the housing stock consists of rowhousing, appartments, or residential highrises. In a few suburban neighbourhoods, detached housing can be found, but it's relatively expensive.

Matt, that's the bridge I was talking about too. It is a drawbridge :)

GR8Scott, there aren't many detached houses in Rotterdam. The majority of the housing stock consists of rowhousing, appartments, or residential highrises. In a few suburban neighbourhoods, detached housing can be found, but it's relatively expensive.

Archived