U.S. National Whitewater Center

monsoon

• 7 months later...

I wish it were being built in its origional proposal which was uptown Charlotte. That would have been a unique project for any center-city. Having that in close proximity to the new arena would have allowed for olympic events to happen there as well. It would have given uptown Charlotte a more "World Class" image by having the world's best atheletes compete in uptown Charlotte. They could have built an "olympic sports village" where atheletes can practice as well as for hosting national competitions. Something like that would help Charlotte attract the World Olympics one day. Nevertheless, I'm glad this project is moving forward for our Queen City.

Mecklenburg Co Commisioners will get their first look at the proposed lease for Charlotte Whitewater Park on Tuesday. They will vote in May to approve/deny the lease.

Under the Lease agreement, Mecklenburg Co will own the land and call it Historic Tuckaseege Ford Park. Charlotte Whitewater will develop the $25M park using private funds and call its section of the park US National Whitewater Center. It is anticipated that the park will open in 2007.

From today's Charlotte Observer:::

Whitewater plan gets county's OK

Construction of a whitewater river complex along the Catawba River is moving closer to reality.Tuesday, Mecklenburg County commissioners unanimously approved a revised site master plan for a complex in western Mecklenburg. The park is expected to cost between $23 million and $25 million to design and build. Construction is slated to begin this summer and the park is scheduled for a March 2006 opening.

The proposal is to build an artificial whitewater course and outdoor adventure park with mountain biking trails on 270 acres. Park backers predict the project will generate tens of millions of dollars for Mecklenburg and Gaston counties, create hundreds of new tourism-related jobs, draw more than 300,000 visitors a year and attract world-class athletes and international competitions.

In August, Mecklenburg joined Charlotte and other municipalities in agreeing to provide money -- $7 million in Mecklenburg's case -- if the project stumbles. -- EARNEST WINSTON

• 10 months later...

I thought I would dig this one up for an update. The Catawba Riverfront Park (Historic Tuckaseege Ford Park) is closing on March 20 so constrution can begin on the U.S. National Whitewater Center. In addition to the worlds first multi-channel whitewater course, the park will feature 13 miles of mountain bike trails, hiking trails, launch point for canoe's / kayak's on the catawba river, indoor and outdoor climbing walls, and ropes course. Other future possibilities that I have heard discussed are a connection with Mecklenburg County greenway system and a connection with a future Gaston County riverfront greenway via a footbridge over the Catawba, but of course those ever happen they are way down the line.

The U.S. National Whitewater Center is scheduled to open in the spring of 2006.

charlotte_topo.jpg

I just talked to the architect who designed the channels yesterday, and he informed me that some preliminary site prep and clearing had begun, and that construction will be starting soon.......this is one of the best projects going for the city that people rarely mention.

While having closer into town would have been nice, the location that it is allows it to be much larger, and therefore attract more professional athletes as well as sanctioned events. I believe over 200,000 out of town guests are expected to use the facility which will contribute tremendously to local hotel, and other businesses. And with uptown adding more attractions, it is likely that many of these visitos will chose to stay in uptown or at least spend several hours exploring it.

I was disapointed when it was announced that it wouldn't work out uptown, but I really think it worked out for the best. Now it's going to be much more than a water park. From what I've seen just on there website, the place looks great. It will be a huge tourist draw that will benefit the whole region.