U.S. National Whitewater Center

monsoon

WOW, that is very impressive. Only artificial whitewater competition park in the world?? Why are we not hearing more about this. I haven't heard anything on the news or read anything in the paper, but maybe I missed it.

Glad its going to be right here in our little town of Charlotte :D

The nice thing about this one though is that it is the mildest climate of all of these places, allowing a couple of extra months of training for people around the world. I really hope this attracts foreign competitors to come trains during late fall and early spring as it is predicted.

http://www.whitewaterpark.canoe-kayak.org/...0whitewater.pdf

In what may become the most extravagant project, the Charlotte, N.C., area has proposed a $25-million artificial white-water course, with movable boulders and rapids that can be changed to suit various levels of experience. Meant to emulate the 2000 Olympics run in Sydney, Australia, the waterway would anchor an outdoor adventure park with climbing walls, a ropes course, meeting rooms and a restaurant on 307 acres just a 10-minute drive from downtown.

An economics professor at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte predicts that the park could generate $37 million annually.

For its part, Reno is selling itself in outdoor magazines and on big banners downtown as America's Adventure Place, and its 10- month-old Truckee River Park at Wingfield is the linchpin. A University of Nevada, Reno economist predicts the park will draw several thousand fans to paddling events, while enticing locals and out-of-towners alike to spend at least $1.9 million a year at riverside eateries, shops and hotels.

--------------------------------------------------

I wonder if the City is planning any sort of transit system to get people to the park. There are not any hotels right there unless they plan on using the ones that will probably be built when 485 is finished a mile away from it. What about restaurants to feed all the people that will be there? Going to a whitewater park is a day long trip, you don't get all suited up and lug your equipment just to go for a dip.

You gotta read closer. It is the only multi-channel whitewater park in the world. There are quite a few others already in existance. And that statement itself is quite misleading because there are other multi-channel whitewater parks.

Thanks for the correction, thats why I put the ? mark at the end. Sounded like a bit much...

Anybody know someone who's working with this project? I'd love to see some more updates on their website. Seems like they do like 2 updates a year. Perhaps a little more advertising to get people hyped up about it too. Anyone have some pictures of the site since it's supposedly being cleared?

WOW, that is very impressive.  Only artificial whitewater competition park in the world??  Why are we not hearing more about this.  I haven't heard anything on the news or read anything in the paper, but maybe I missed it.

Glad its going to be right here in our little town of Charlotte :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that nothing has been heard because much of the U.S. still refuses to recognize that Charlotte is a major city. Many insist that southern cities remain small and insignificant. I suppose Charlotte has beaten odds that it would remain a Mayberry?

I think that nothing has been heard because much of the U.S. still refuses to recognize that Charlotte is a major city.  Many insist that southern cities  remain small and insignificant.  I suppose Charlotte has beaten odds that it would remain a Mayberry?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not quite sure where you're going on this one. There has been no national exposure because construction hasn't even started. I think next year when it opens, there will be alot of factors working for it. The biggest being that the US Canoe and Kayak organization moved there headquarters to Charlotte a couple years ago. There will be a host of national competions including possible trials for the olympics, pan-am games, goodwill games, etc... The Charlotte Sports Commission will also be working to bring events here as they do for other sports. There will be a huge regional draw with the whitewater center and the outfitters who work on whitewater rivers in the mountains. Plus, the whitewater course will be used as a swiftwater rescue training center for fire departments from all over the country.

As mentioned earier, this is going to be a top notch facility that will add +200 million dollars a year to local economies.

^The current park is located on Heavy Equipment School Road just off Moore's Chapel after crossing I-85 bridge. The easiest way to get there is I-85 exit onto Sam Wilson Rd and follow small signs to Tuckaseegee Ford Park. There is a parking lot at the end of Heavy Equipment School Rd. The road will have to be extended to get to the site of the whitewater course. The only way to get the site currently is to park and walk the trail.

Here was an article in today's Observer. Looks like official construction begins Monday. It also mentions that Gaston county wants to develop a huge greenway on their side of the river and that their will be a water taxiway to connect them until a pedestrian bridge solution is found......this sounds like a great vision.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...rs/11177457.htm

Pretty impressive, another 400 arce preserve across the river from the 300 acre wwpark. Plus 100 miles of mountain bike trails . Sounds like Mount Holly's getting their act together for outdoor recreation possibilities. Maybe in the future they could expand on this, maybe a large soccer complex like the one in Cary?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is an article from the Huntersville Herald about the impact of the park on the area. It goes into some detail about Mount Holly's efforts to attract the "creative class" by revitalizing the downtown area, and building of greenways and biking trails. It also talks about what the "creative class" could mean to the area.

The term "creative class" was coined by Richard Florida, a professor of economic development at Carnegie Mellon University, to characterize a certain segment of the U.S. population that seems to act like fertilizer wherever it chooses to live. The communities in which the creative class decides to live and grow usually become vibrant socially and economically. The members of this class have higher incomes than the working classes that typically fill the old mill towns of the south. They are well educated and value diversity. Mount Holly itself plans to attract this newly defined class of citizens with linked greenways to the park, biking trails and the revitalization of the downtown area in addition to the city's support of the whitewater park. It is a bid for new blood. "Our citizens will benefit because we will draw the kind of people who bring economic growth," says Mount Holly Mayor Brian Hough, a U.S. National Whitewater Park board member.

USA Canoe and Kayak have a construction update on their website. Not alot of info, but the main points are:

> site clearing already underway

> construction of the river channels starts this spring

> construction of the buildings starts this summer

> still on schedule for spring 2006 opening

> new website for usnwc in a few weeks

Full update here. *pdf file

• 1 month later...