U.S. National Whitewater Center

monsoon

The Mount Holly City Council announced they are have approved the final design for the 33 acre expansion of Tuckaseege Park, which is directly across the Catawba River from the U.S. National Whitewater Center. Anybody know the status of the pedestrian/bike bridge or is that also part of this expansion?

The latest that I have heard is that the bridge is still planned, but they are trying to determine how to fund it.

Sunday, July 15th, I spent the good part of the day at the incredible Whitewater Center. I met people from Australia, and Finland who said they specifically added this stop on their itinerary of American tourist attractions.

I decided to take my little Canon G5 (nuthin' fancy here) and create a "Faces of Whitewater" theme. I wanted to capture facial expressions as best I could although sometimes I just had to zoom and shoot and hope for the best since I couldn't see the display screen clear enough to center the photo. I added a couple non face shots to the mix.

This is the starting point where you board your raft.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

In the photo below, they are actually going backwards and attempting to right the raft.

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

This girl fell out when the raft hit a wave.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

You actually climb the conveyer lift twice during a single circuit

IMG_0029.jpg

Cresting the top of the conveyer lift. OMG a 200 ft drop!!!

IMG_0085.jpg

Edited by swampfox43

Discovery Channel is airing a special on the USNWC right now titled "Really Big Things." It also was on earlier tonight at 8:00pm EST and will be on again August 7th at 7:00pm with the title of "Cirque Du Soleil Big Top." The episode description is: Matt Rogers joins the circus to put up Cirque Du Soleil's big top, takes on the rapids at the U.S. National Whitewater Center to train Olympic kayakers, and joins the Navy to help them move a fleet of Hummers via one hovercraft. They give the USNWC about 15-20 minutes of coverage.

Edited by Raintree21

• 4 weeks later...

The Charlotte Weekly did a nice editorial on the Whitewater Park this week. The focus was on the restaurant instead of the park itself. They gave good reviews to the selection and quality of the food available noting that everything (except the desserts) was made from scratch, often organic, and fresh.

The Observer and their sensationalism is freaking out because the whitewater center didn't make a profit this first year and actually lost more money than they predicted in their estimates. They just barely mention that they haven't been open a full fiscal year yet which just might explain some of the profit loss. They do acknowledge that this is the first year and they're still working out the kinks and that advertising has been a little lacking both of which would probably help out a ton.

The Observer and their sensationalism is freaking out because the whitewater center didn't make a profit this first year and actually lost more money than they predicted in their estimates. They just barely mention that they haven't been open a full fiscal year yet which just might explain some of the profit loss. They do acknowledge that this is the first year and they're still working out the kinks and that advertising has been a little lacking both of which would probably help out a ton.

They (The Observer) need to read almost any book you can buy about starting a new business. Almost any of them will tell you to have enough reserves to make it 2 - 3 years before turning a profit. Guess that wouldn't make good headlines though. The fact that the center is packed, is now bringing in more money from mountain biking and the restaurant should be good news. The amount that the shortfall is for profit isn't something that can't be overcome considering they are still in process of feeling out their first year. Add a bit of cost to a rafting trip (they are only $33 per person), build the childrens programs they have discussed, keep getting national press, and build the other programs, I'd say the Observer actually missed the point - there is a good chance for this to turn around somewhat quickly.

Edited by Charlotte_native

^ I went this weekend and they have just raised the price of a rafting trip from $33 to $39. It was packed on Sunday - perhaps a bit too busy on the water, but fun none the less. Our guide said the weekday numbers will drop off severely now that the kiddos are going back to school.

I didn't get a chance to check out the trails or the ropes course but everything else was very nice.

I think they should try all other avenues before raising prices on the rafting. Once you start getting $40+ people are going to say it isn't worth it. I'd say that maybe increase it to $35 and hold there if they insist on an increase. $33 seems like a weird number anyways.

Also, the Observer harps on salaries being more than expected but a few paragraphs later, they mention that the manager had to change The Eddy Restaurant from a part-time cafe to a full-time restaurant because demand was so great. Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe going from a part-time cafe to a full-time restaurant might cause some labor increases. Not sure if that's all of the salary overruns but I'm sure that would account for a big chunk.

Of course, if you read the reader comments section on the online article, all of the anti-spend any government money on projects crowd are beating their war drums saying this is another example of wasteful spending by the government on a project not needed or wanted by the taxpayers.

Edited by Raintree21

Of course, if you read the reader comments section on the online article, all of the anti-spend any government money on projects crowd are beating their war drums saying this is another example of wasteful spending by the government on a project not needed or wanted by the taxpayers.

After reading those comments (some of which were fairly insightful), it seems that lowering, not raising, the prices would be in the center's best interests. $40 is quite pricey, especially when you consider how close we are to the lower rates at Nantahala and Ocoee. Also, several people there indicated that the staff is not exactly "selling" the place to visitors, and that the marketing has fallen far short of where it needs to be -- I'd especially agree with that last point, as I've never seen a paid advertisement for the place.

But really, I'd agree with the previous comment that we're really looking at the standard losses that any new business will take. That's especially the case with the Whitewater Center, which is going to be heavily dependent on return business and long-term contracts with corporations, leadership groups, schools, etc. Not to mention that this is the kind of place that many people will have to make vacation plans and arrangements to visit, so expecting immediate profits is a little unrealistic. I'd wait for a full seasonal cycle to pass, then take another look at how it's doing.

Their new rates:

Weekdays

Individual- $35

Private Raft- $210

Rodeo Raft (4 man boat)- $198

(Monday - Thursday

Weekends (Friday - Sunday)

Individual- $39

Private Raft (up to 6 rafters)- $234

Evenings After 6pm

Individual- $33

Private Raft (up to 6 rafters)- n/a

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the USNWC. Great fun! And luch at the Eddy was great. The whole place was packed. The river was full, mountain bikes were everywhere, people waiting in line to use the climbing wall, people along the banks getting sun, families walking the trails, and the best part--the new entrance is under construction!! The 2nd Annual Whitewater Festival is the weekend of the 15th.

• 1 month later...

The 20th Annual Partners BBQ, hosted by Partners for Parks and Mecklenburg County Parks and Recreation, will be held on Wednesday, October 10 from 5pm-8pm. $15 (or $40 for a family) will get you food and rafting (or rock climbing). Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Registration can be found here and the Partners website is http://www.partnersforparks.org/.

• 2 months later...

I've heard more grumbling from some Charlotte friends that this project is not pulling in the returns that one would expect. Anybody know if there are plans afoot to make it more financially soluble or to raise its public profile?

They are tweaking the business to rev up revenues or at least try. I've heard the same and read plenty about the fact that they are not turning a profit -- almost no business, certainly not one this large with such a large initial investment -- is expected to be profiable in a year (or even less than a year from when the first complaints began). To be as close to a profit as they have been is quite a feat for a new large venture. Most businesses anticipate no real profit for at least two years.

This is only complicated because of public funds being involved. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't real profit for at least another year, but eventually it will right itself and break even or turn profits.

Probably the best thing they could do is increase their advertising. I hardly ever see any advertising on TV, the radio, or on paper. For the most part, I just see their logo on the rear of an occasional car and the occasional Observer article about a competition there. If they would do a little more to make people aware, I'm sure their numbers would jump. As has been said before, they are tucked in where they are at and there is not very good signage directing visitors to the facility. I'm sure once Whitewater Parkway is finally built next year things will get better too.

Edited by Raintree21

Probably the best thing they could do is increase their advertising. I hardly ever see any advertising on TV, the radio, or on paper. For the most part, I just see their logo on the rear of an occasional car and the occasional Observer article about a competition there. If they would do a little more to make people aware, I'm sure their numbers would jump. As has been said before, they are tucked in where they are at and there is not very good signage directing visitors to the facility. I'm sure once Whitewater Parkway is finally built next year things will get better too.

They have started to do a little advertising recently by putting up a kiosk center in front of Sun and Ski Sports at Concord Mills. They have some souveniers and brochures of the center. I am just wondering though, if this is a permanent fixture or just temporary.