U.S. National Whitewater Center

monsoon

The area is definately getting some really cool additions.

I found out about one project, set to be announced soon. I can't go into many details but the area will most likely see a new BMX, mountain biking, track racing, crit racing, climbing, and whitewater course all combined into a single facility..... and it WON'T be the Whitewater Center that this thread has information about.....

I wish I could say more but I am not allowed. :(

oh wow

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard there is a fundraiser for the Whitewater Center tomorrow afternoon at Latta Park.

Considering this project has more private funding than most others, and will be a serious draw to this region in the way of tourism, I'd recommend supporting them.

• 3 weeks later...

The Whitewater Center has withdrawn its plans to use Charlie Hipp Rd as an entrance to the park. They are still working on finding a road that will be suitable.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/loc...=116974&SecID=3

Since plans for using Charlie Hipp Road as an entrance fell through, the developers of the Whitewater Center had focused on using Hawfield Road, just north of Charlie Hipp. They'd been using the road as a construction access road until today. The six homeowners on Hawfield installed a gate and put up 'No Trespassing' signs, citing documents that show that their road is private and that it can't be used as entrance to the park or as construction access without their permission. As of today, construction has stalled, and will likely remain at a halt until an agreement is reached between the homeowners and the developers. According to the article on WCNC.com (link) and the story I saw on News 14, the opening date has been pushed back indefinitely from the original planned opening of June 15. If no agreement is reached with the homeowners, a new road will have to be built to serve as the entrance, which will add at least several weeks to the timetable for when they can conceivably open the park.

It's not even clear those people own that road, as Charlotte is claiming it is city property according to one of the news broadcasts. Something doesn't exactly add up with that story but I chalk this to general lame reporting. Typical of most reporting here, its going to take them several days to get it right.

I think it is TOTAL BS! I think Eminent Domain could easily be exercised here by the county, JMHO. If these so called neighbors have rights and claims on the road, they had better offer up some legal documantation or deeds, or else it is just blowing smoke, and their little fense could just be torn right down.

A2

PS---please tell me I am reading this qoute right? I think this lady is contradicting herself, totally.

http://www.news14charlotte.com/content/loc...=116974&SecID=3

"I haven't heard anybody say that they were opposed to the Whitewater Center,

Edited by A2

Possibly an excuse to delay the opening because they are behind on construction.

If I get time this week I'll see if I can make up an excuse to visit the site again. Since its now June, I'm curious to see how close to completion they are.

I still think Charlie Hipp would have been fine as a temp road. Hawfield is another story.

It think it has to do with coordinating the rescheduling of work. It's not like all of those contractors and deliveries can simply happen exactly as they were originally planned plus three. If one can't come until 4 days later, and that is a prerequisite for another piece of work that can't be done until day 7, and so on.

Construction management is not that simple.

• 3 weeks later...

This project is really unique and although there have been some political ramifications, I think everyone will really enjoy this project. I am also excited to see Carowinds hopefully go through a transformation as well. This project will slightly improve Charlotte tourism.

Too bad there is a stronghold on the Charlotte airport and airfare blows..You can find deals at times but overall it's way too expensive to fly to Charlotte.

This project is really unique and although there have been some political ramifications, I think everyone will really enjoy this project. I am also excited to see Carowinds hopefully go through a transformation as well. This project will slightly improve Charlotte tourism.

Too bad there is a stronghold on the Charlotte airport and airfare blows..You can find deals at times but overall it's way too expensive to fly to Charlotte.

Actually, recently I have found there to be better deals coming out of Charlotte than places like Raleigh and Greensboro. I think they are improving drastically.

Actually, recently I have found there to be better deals coming out of Charlotte than places like Raleigh and Greensboro. I think they are improving drastically.

I fly a lot (just got into San Bernardino, CA a couple hours ago), and I have to agree. Lately, even if GSO is less expensive, it's only by $20 or so. That doesn't even make up for gas to get there. I used to drive to Greensboro on a regular basis to save money for my company on fares. Now, the only time that it seems to make a reasonable difference is if it's last minute. GSO is cheaper if you are booking a flight less than a week in advance from what I've found. But then again, not many tourists would plan their trip less than a week in advance. Usually if you book far enough in advance CLT is the same, and sometimes cheaper.

I fly a lot (just got into San Bernardino, CA a couple hours ago), and I have to agree. Lately, even if GSO is less expensive, it's only by $20 or so. That doesn't even make up for gas to get there. I used to drive to Greensboro on a regular basis to save money for my company on fares. Now, the only time that it seems to make a reasonable difference is if it's last minute. GSO is cheaper if you are booking a flight less than a week in advance from what I've found. But then again, not many tourists would plan their trip less than a week in advance. Usually if you book far enough in advance CLT is the same, and sometimes cheaper.

Hours into California and you already are checkin up on Urban Planet. And I thought I was the only person addicted to catching all the latest updates.

Hopefully the NHOF and the USNWC will draw enough extra tourism in to boost the airport that little extra it needs to get back on its feet (when comparing pricing, that is.)

Why not go to Concord Regional? I thought it was one of the major business hubs in NC.

Why not go to Concord Regional? I thought it was one of the major business hubs in NC.
There is no commerical air service from Concord Regional.

To browngeo's comment, I would tend to think that CLT's status as a large air hub (with more daily non-stop flights than any city of its size IN THE WORLD) would be a boost to the new Whitewater Center, as it would be far more accessible to travellers.

Edited by Miesian Corners

The pricing has been set for the whitewater center.

For a 90 minute session, it will cost:

$33 per person

$31 per person for groups of 12-40 in size

$29 per person for groups larger than 40

$15 for kayakers who bring their own equipment

There is also an age limit of 12 years old.

The climbing center at the usnwc is also taking shape. It is being designed and built by Entre Prises USA and should be completed this fall.

The climbing wall

• 2 weeks later...