U.S. National Whitewater Center

monsoon

I went to the trials on Sat. to check it out. I haven't been to the Center since theres been water running. Man, was I impressed. If anyone has time Sunday(4-29) I would recommend you take a couple hours and check the place out, its free this weekend. Anyway here are some pics, I have alot more on my site here.

4-28-07

77888622.jpg

77888809.jpg

77888401.jpg

77888392.jpg

77888398.jpg

77888400.jpg

77888610.jpg

77888621.jpg

77888788.jpg

77888807.jpg

77888813.jpg

Mo and Eastsider, you both probably passed me a bunch of times this past Saturday. I volunteered there and was assigned "bridge security" duty. In Eastsider's 3rd pic down, I think that's me on the far left side with my back turned just inside the bridge gate. This event was unbelievably cool. And... I just got a gift certificate to kayak there. I can't wait!!!

Mo and Eastsider, you both probably passed me a bunch of times this past Saturday. I volunteered there and was assigned "bridge security" duty. In Eastsider's 3rd pic down, I think that's me on the far left side with my back turned just inside the bridge gate. This event was unbelievably cool. And... I just got a gift certificate to kayak there. I can't wait!!!

Well, I got a "media" wristband as a UP photographer, lol :whistling: So I'm sure I spoke to you since I went over the bridge a couple times.

Edited by Mobuchu

According to the USA Canoe/Kayak website, about 14,000 people attended the Nation Team Trials over the weekend.

Cool, must have passed by you several times on Sat. I was actually next to the bridge, behind the guy selling drinks, for the last few runs of the day.

The Observer is making a big deal about the Whitewater Park costing the city $1 million for losing money their first year. I think comparative to othe projects, this is nothing especially when looking at how this place looks and the appeal and attraction it creates for Charlotte. Add in to it all of the obstacles that they have had to overcome like the neighbors blocking the access road to the park and you could ask, who could make a profit in just one year. I think next year with a full season, they will make money and continue to be the newest jewel in the crown of Charlotte.

I really think the city should have stepped up and helped out with the problems with the access road a year ago. I can't really understand why we let 5 families hijack the access to this project when they want to protect a way of life suited for a rural environment. This is Mecklenburg Co. If you want to live on a dead end country road, might I suggest Hallifax Co?

I really think the city should have stepped up and helped out with the problems with the access road a year ago. I can't really understand why we let 5 families hijack the access to this project when they want to protect a way of life suited for a rural environment. This is Mecklenburg Co. If you want to live on a dead end country road, might I suggest Hallifax Co?

Completely agree. NIMBYs are incapable of removing themselves from their own little bubbles.

I recommend you familiarize yourself with what happened. This situation happened because the Whitewater people screwed up, not the people who owned the land who were only looking out to protect their homes and investment.

I recommend you familiarize yourself with what happened. This situation happened because the Whitewater people screwed up, not the people who owned the land who were only looking out to protect their homes and investment.

Oh, I'm familiar with what happened. I read the paper everyday. I'm just not concerned with keeping Meck. Co. rural for the sake of a few people.

Please reread my original post. It says the city should have stepped up and helped out with the problems with the access road a year ago. I didn't assign blame for the problem with the planned permanent road, I simply stated what I thought the solution should have been.

Edited by NCN8ive

Well I don't think the city has any legal authority beyond zoning control on land outside the city limits. They were in no position to force these people to do anything and even if they did, there are procedures that are to be followed to take and condemn land for highway use, and these procedures were not followed.

It's not a question of keeping Mecklenburg rural or not.

Well I don't think the city has any legal authority beyond zoning control on land outside the city limits. They were in no position to force these people to do anything and even if they did, there are procedures that are to be followed to take and condemn land for highway use, and these procedures were not followed.

It's not a question of keeping Mecklenburg rural or not.

It was to the people they continually interviewed on the news and in the paper. I distinctly remember them saying over and over "this is a quiet, gravel road where our children play". They were basically upset because their dead end road now went somewhere and they could no longer expect 3-4 cars/day to pass by while they let their children play unsupervised.

Just stopped by the Whitewater Center for the first time and I was impressed! While the channels were a bit narrower than I expected, the entire thing was much larger than I expected. Even with the rain, there were at least a 100 cars in the parking lot. I definitely want to come back to use the facilities at some point. I also like how they tried to keep as many trees as they could around the facility. I think they should put up better directional signs to help people find the place and get out. I think I recall only one sign and that was at the Hawfield Road and Moores Chapel Road intersection. They should have no problem being successful this year.

• 1 month later...

The Mount Holly City Council announced they are have approved the final design for the 33 acre expansion of Tuckaseege Park, which is directly across the Catawba River from the U.S. National Whitewater Center. Anybody know the status of the pedestrian/bike bridge or is that also part of this expansion?

^ I don't know any more information, but I did go to the USNWC a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing! We had such a good time and the main building is pretty cool. They also have a tower with a zip line and you climb up a cargo net to get up there. The rock climbing wall is evidently the tallest in NC. I've never seen so many outdoor lovers in one location in Charlotte ever!

I've been out there a couple of times now, but I went hiking out there for the first time today. We did the Northern Loop which ended up being about 3.5 miles (we skipped the Figure 8 Trail that would have extended that to 4.5 mi.). There is also a Southern Look which is another 6 mi. That's over 10 mi. of trails...pretty amazing. It also doesn't feel like you're in Meck. Co. when you're out in the woods. It's really amazing we have this in our community now. I can't wait to go out there and try rafting or if I can get up the nerve to learn to kaiyak (sp?), I want to try that too.

It's kayak btw since you asked ;) . Wonder if they'll ever add any camping areas to the park. Kind of give you the full outdoors effect while still being in the city. Only place I can think of off the top of my head is down at McDowell Nature Preserve where for something like $20, the Parks and Rec staff will set up a tent for you at their "camping sites."

^ I don't know any more information, but I did go to the USNWC a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing! We had such a good time and the main building is pretty cool. They also have a tower with a zip line and you climb up a cargo net to get up there. The rock climbing wall is evidently the tallest in NC. I've never seen so many outdoor lovers in one location in Charlotte ever!

Actually the rock climbing facility is the largest outdoor of it's type in the United States.

It's kayak btw since you asked ;) . Wonder if they'll ever add any camping areas to the park. Kind of give you the full outdoors effect while still being in the city. Only place I can think of off the top of my head is down at McDowell Nature Preserve where for something like $20, the Parks and Rec staff will set up a tent for you at their "camping sites."

Thanks for the spelling help! :rolleyes: I'm not much of a speller and I was in a hurry when I typed that a while ago. (I really didn't have time to even be reading the board, but I was going through withdrawl since the board has been down!)

Adding camping sites would be a nice addition to this park I think. As "wild" as the park feels out on those trails, I think camping would be a big hit there as well.