Rolls Royce in Charlotte?

monsoon

The Observer has finally gotten around to reporting the story that Rolls Royce is considering an expansion into the Carolinas. This story has popped up all over UP in other regions and in most cases, someone makes the mistake of thinking that Rolls Royce the aerospace maker, is Rolls Royce Motors (which doesn't exist anymore) that makes the famous cars. While this is an understandable mistake by the common person, we get this from the newspaper.

The company, legendary for its cars, is considering the Carolinas for expansion. But before you tell your chauffeur to drive home a new Silver Shadow, be forewarned: The facilities would focus on aerospace and other areas -- but not cars.

The only problem with is of course is that Rolls Royce the aerospace maker, and Rolls Royce the car maker were split apart 33 years ago and BMW owns the right to build the cars now. No word on when and where. Maybe this is the bad rumor column.

Wonder when this story will disappear?

4hu8v8g.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not realize just how uninformed journalism could be until I found this site. I was never naive, but I didn't know how bad it could be. I guess the rule of 3 sources for printing "news" (or whatever it is) does not apply to knowing something about the topics one writes about. Then again, Mr. Elder may have just assumed the average person doesn't care, or would just be confused..

The ties to the cars are probably just so the average charlotte observer reader would 'get' the story. BMW owns the name and does a lot of the engineering. The cars are still built in England, just with lots of German parts.

Rolls/Royce aircraft engines (and the attendant spare parts) are still huge business for them, and having a manufacturing/tech facility in the US, and apparently near a major airport, sounds like a good idea.

Even if it was the automobile maker, it wouldn't be the first store in the Carolinas because Raleigh got the Rolls Royce store when it and the Bentley store split in High Point.

But anyways this is about the aerospace manufacturer.......

My chips are on N.Carolina for a few reasons.

GOODRICH.

+

Decent Incentives from the State.

It makes good business to be close to those who supply to you and buy from you. Goodrich is one of the larger firms in the aerospace industry and conveniently HQ in CLT.

Goodrich offers an extensive range of products, systems and services for aircraft and engine manufacturers, airlines and defense forces around the world.

http://www.goodrich.com/AboutGoodrich

If it is not CLT, then I would bet Charleston area.

A2

Archived