Abandoned structures photographs

seicer

Michigan Central Station

Michigan Central Station, located in the Corktown district of Detroit, Michigan, was constructed in mid-1913 for the Michigan Central Railroad at a cost of $15 million. It replaced an earlier passenger rail depot that had burned.

full_3_307.jpg

At the time of its construction, it was the tallest railroad structure in the world at eighteen floors, and was began earlier as part of a much larger project that involved the Michigan Central Railway Tunnel under the Detroit River. It was designed in the Beaux-Arts Classical style, and was designed by the same firm who had designed New York City's Grand Central Terminal. The depot opened before the building was even completed, due to a fire at the older depot.

2 Waiting room

full_3_1356.jpg

The eighteen-story tower was rumored to have been designed for a hotel, although it was only used as offices for the Michigan Central. It was underused, for the most part, and the uppermost floor was not even fitted for occupancy.

3 Uppermost floor

full_3_323.jpg

The main waiting room was modeled after an ancient Roman bathhouse, and contained walls of marble that was adorned with Guastavino archies and Corinthian columns. The concourse featured brick walls and a large copper skylight. From the concourse, passengers would walk down a ramp to the departing train platforms, which contained eleven tracks.

4 Waiting room

full_3_9.jpg

It's location, two miles southwest of downtown, was important because it was hoped that the station would serve as a catalyst for major development. An edge city, if you will. Had it been successful, it would have beaten New Center by a decade. The boom never came.

The majority of the passengers would leave or arrive from the station via interurban or streetcar service, and not as pedestrians, when the station was in its early years. However, in 1938, interurban and streetcar service was discontinued in Detroit. The station was effectively isolated.

full_3_2967.jpg

During World War II, the station saw heavy military usage. Like most railroad depots, however, passenger declined post-war as automobile ownership increased. Lines to Chicago were reduced, and other routes were eliminated as cars were more frequently used for shorter trips to outlying cities and communities. The station was put up for sale in 1956 for a third of the original building cost, and again in 1963.

6 Waiting room in 1921

full_3_980.jpg

In 1967, the restaurant, arcade shops and the main entrance were closed. Passengers now entered through the rear, and huddled in the concourse; the central waiting room had also been marked off-limits.

Four years later, Amtrak took over the United State's passenger rail service. The main waiting room and entrance were reopened in 1975, which was followed by inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places. The depot was given a $1.25 million renovation three years later that added a bus terminal. In 1984, Michigan Central Station was sold for a transportation center project that never materialized. Finally, on January 6, 1988, the last train departed from the station. In 2000, the passenger platforms were demolished for an intermodal freight yard.

full_3_1425.jpg

full_3_2454.jpg

Check out my article at Abandoned for more history and trivia, and of course, photographs. Thanks to Hayward for the tour of the station and to ColDayMan for the drive! It was well worth the trip to see this in person.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the only remaining theatre of Detroit's original Theatre District.

Nice pics, Zach, but what do you mean by "original"? The Fox, State (now the Fillmore) and Capital (now the Opera House) are all still open in the Grand Circus Park Area, where several other theatres used to also be around. Was there an older theatre district somewhere?

^ That's incredibly sad!!! :(

--

Many updates to Abandoned. Be sure to click through to find more photographs and text!

Ammunitions Depot

1 We followed the tracks from the newer black powder manufacturing plant that was constructed beginning in 1978 and was debugged until 1979. In 1980, inert material was processed through the plant during proveout, and numerous process modifications continued through August 1982. During February and March 1983, 2,200 pounds of live black powder were produced.

full_3_1723.jpg

2 The new black powder plant, which replaced World War II-era facilities, was never put into operation.

full_3_2196.jpg

3 It was demolished in 2008. The photo below shows trackage with idled cars. The line was completed in 1975 in preparation for the new expansion. The rail stub to the right was to continue to the rear, but it was never completed.

full_3_1094.jpg

4 Standby? More like, abandoned.

full_3_2111.jpg

5 Various companies store cars on the disused lines, although these have not been operated in over five years. Trees block many of the tracks.

full_3_2898.jpg

6 Built: 1967.

full_3_819.jpg

full_3_1043.jpg

full_3_814.jpg

Here are more photographs of the black powder manufacturing plant prior to its demolition.

9 Building 736: Chlorinator Bldg.

full_3_1590.jpg

full_3_1463.jpg

full_3_1582.jpg

More coming soon...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cincinnati, a cornucopia of abandonments

Authored by Sherman Cahal on June 9, 2009 at Abandoned

On a warm but delightful day, I gathered on the rooftop deck of my apartment unit with the authors of Cincinnati Discovery and Local.Architecture:Cincinnati, enjoying several delicious, locally-produced beers while basking in the warmth of the sun's rays.

But alas, there were several abandonments to be had in the fair city of Cincinnati. It's not that there is an overabundance, but a rather careful arrangement and selection of disused and derelict structures. Shuttered factories, a reminder of the region's once booming industrial past, line Mill Creek Valley. Furthermore, destitute churches litter the city's most stressed neighborhoods, a reminder of the population shifts of the prior fourty years. For this lazy Sunday, we photographed two of Cincinnati's prized abandoned gems: Some Random Church and back again Hudepohl Brewing Company.

I've also added several links to web-sites that I frequently visit. The first is 360icon, an exploration of rural and urban decay through low-light photography and HDR. I also added Cincinnati Traction History, dedicated to showcasing the history of the Cincinnati area's streetcar, interurban, and railroad lines. Lastly, a friend just began Craig Moyer Photography as a method to showcase his works of art.

Click on the respective links for more photographs and history behind the locations, and be sure to subscribe to Abandoned's RSS feed!

Church in Cincinnati

1 Many of the stained glass windows are beyond repair.

full_3_2542.jpg

full_3_989.jpg

full_3_1989.jpg

full_3_743.jpg

full_3_813.jpg

Hudepohl Brewing Company

full_3_2703.jpg

full_3_2951.jpg

full_3_1018.jpg

full_3_1208.jpg

full_3_50.jpg

full_3_1992.jpg

full_3_2398.jpg

Be sure to click through onto the Abandoned blog for more photographs from the church and brewery!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to really see a lot of abandonments, go to Youngstown, OH....of course the one that I'd love to see b/c my great great uncle and my great uncle and my one uncle all worked in it was the Jeanette "Sweet Jenny" Blast furnace for Youngstown Sheet and Tube, but they imploded a good portion of that around 1997 after it had been abandoned for 19 yrs or so...it was a sad day for me to see my uncle and great uncle (2 guys that were very tough hardened steel workers cry) as I was only 19.

• 1 month later...

Indiana Army Ammunition Plant and World War II

This is one part of a series on the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant. Part one covers the history of the plant pre-World War II, and the components of the plant through World War II. Click the link above for the original blog post or click through for more historical photographs.

The Indiana Army Ammunition Plant (IAAP) was spurred by the passage of the first National Defense Appropriations Act. Four days later, the Munitions Program was passed, in which the U.S. Ordinance Department sponsored private manufacturing corporations to design and produce ammunitions factories, producing smokeless gunpowder and other ordinances.

Speculation led up to the selection of the Indiana site as the potential home of an ammunitions factory. The Louisville Courier-Journal announced in July 1940 that the world's largest smokeless powder plant would be constructed on the site of pioneer cemeteries, historic houses, homesteads and churches, and the former Rose Island Amusement Park that featured little resistance from those affected. The owners of the land accepted that the loss of their properties was a sacrifice to the foreseeable cost of war. The facility would be the largest plant in the Industrial Operations Command, containing 1,401 structures on 9,790 acres, although the figure would total much larger.

3_167_900.jpg

A laboratory (Building 706-3) stands in front of a power plant (Building 401-2) in what was known as IOW2.

Constructed on 19,200 acres, INAAP included the Indiana Ordnance Works Plant 1 (IOW1) that produced smokeless powder, the Hoosier Ordnance Plant (HOP), also referred to as the "bag plant," and the Indiana Ordnance Works Plant 2 (IOW2) that was referred to as the "rocket plant."

Construction began on August 26, 1940 under E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., and just three months later, over 10,000 workers had been employed in the building of IOW1. At the height of construction in May 1941, there were 27,520 workers employed in the building of the plant. IOW1 was completed in May 1942.

full_3_578.jpg

Shift change at INAAP was always extremely busy.

IOW1 contained 800 buildings that were divided into four main areas. The administration area included a main administration building, telephone exchange, hospital, repair ship, cafeteria, guard headquarters and office space. The smokeless powder manufacturing area included six parallel, nearly identical manufacturing lines that included two power plants, blending towers, two Ammonium Oxidation plants, and two Nitric and Sulfuric Acid Concentration plants. Further south was the storage and shipping area that included approximately 100 above ground magazines, road ship houses and road storage and shipping houses. Towards the Ohio River was River Ridge, a collection of 19, two-story, wood-frame houses.

full_3_467.jpg

Houses at River Ridge.

On January 10, 1941, construction began on the Hoosier Ordnance Plant (HOP) and was partially in operation by September; construction was finished on February 2, 1942. The load, assembly and pack facility was used to prepare cannon, artillery and mortar projectiles and integrated five distinct areas. The administration area included a main administration building, a main change house and a hospital, and the production, maintenance and storage area contained a bag manufacturing building, inert stores warehouse, a repair shop, a fire station and a heating plant. A charging area contained 8 load lines for bag loading smokeless powder and 4 igniter lines for bag loading black powder, whereas the powder magazine area contained 177 earth-covered, steel-reinforced concrete igloos. At River Ridge, an additional 17 two-story wood-frame houses were constructed.

Construction on Indiana Ordnance Works Plant 2 (IOW2), a rocket propellant plant, did not begin until late 1944. Although production did take place for approximately five weeks, the plant was never completed before the surrender of Japan in August 1945. Construction stopped on August 13.

In total, the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant contained 19,200 acres, 1,700 buildings, 84-miles of railroad track, 190 miles of road and 30 miles of fence and cost $133.4 million to complete.

IOW1 began producing smokeless powder and black powder to HOP and other load, assembly and pack operations on April 11, 1941. Single-base smokeless powder was used as a propellant for a projectile, while black powder was used to ignite the smokeless powder. By July, IOW1 had produced twice as much powder as the entire nation had the previous year.

Below are photographs depicting some of the history of INAAP and of the HOP and IOW2.

full_3_2201.jpg

River Ridge housing along 'Main Street'. These houses no longer exist.

full_3_540.jpg

Taken 1947. Not sure on the location.

full_3_2144.jpg

Shift change.

full_3_1577.jpg

full_3_506.jpg

Box store houses in the shipping area.

full_3_732.jpg

Mixing tank adjacent to a power plant. I actually grabbed a near-identical shot a few years back (before I had access to this historical scan).

full_3_470.jpg

Building 237-10 before scraping and penta treatment, October 25, 1963.

full_3_1052.jpg

And after.

full_3_827.jpg

Equipment carefully stored after World War II for potential use later. The plant went into standby status between World War II and the Korean War.

full_3_1142.jpg

This was taken inside a Pulping House (Building 109-).

full_3_815.jpg

There is what the machine looks like today, in Building 109-1.

full_3_1169.jpg

full_3_2502.jpg

Packed powder ready to be shipped from HOW.

You can find more of these under historical photographs. Be sure to click through to read more about the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant.

You can also become a fan of Abandoned's Facebook page, where I post up articles of interest and upcoming galleries and posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Cincinnati, a cornucopia of abandonments

Authored by Sherman Cahal on June 9, 2009 at Abandoned

On a warm but delightful day, I gathered on the rooftop deck of my apartment unit with the authors of Cincinnati Discovery and Local.Architecture:Cincinnati, enjoying several delicious, locally-produced beers while basking in the warmth of the sun's rays.

But alas, there were several abandonments to be had in the fair city of Cincinnati. It's not that there is an overabundance, but a rather careful arrangement and selection of disused and derelict structures. Shuttered factories, a reminder of the region's once booming industrial past, line Mill Creek Valley. Furthermore, destitute churches litter the city's most stressed neighborhoods, a reminder of the population shifts of the prior fourty years. For this lazy Sunday, we photographed two of Cincinnati's prized abandoned gems: Some Random Church and back again Hudepohl Brewing Company.

I've also added several links to web-sites that I frequently visit. The first is 360icon, an exploration of rural and urban decay through low-light photography and HDR. I also added Cincinnati Traction History, dedicated to showcasing the history of the Cincinnati area's streetcar, interurban, and railroad lines. Lastly, a friend just began Craig Moyer Photography as a method to showcase his works of art.

Click on the respective links for more photographs and history behind the locations, and be sure to subscribe to Abandoned's RSS feed!

The church is very majestic and ancient. Good photos! It is the part of the history! :camera:

• 4 weeks later...

Summer 2009 at the Ammunition Plant

This is part two of a series on the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant. Part one covers the history of the plant pre-World War II, and the components of the plant through World War II. The following covers many of my recent trips into the complex.

Knife Grinding & Die Shop (Building 217-2)

full_3_2393.jpg

full_3_344.jpg

full_3_2849.jpg

full_3_2589.jpg

Comfort Station (727-)

full_3_2227.jpg

full_3_1757.jpg

Poacher House (Building 112)

full_3_2098.jpg

Power Pack House (Building 221-)

One after another.

full_3_138.jpg

full_3_2575.jpg

full_3_2577.jpg

These were used to transport black powder from massive copper funnels.

full_3_2705.jpg

Emergency slides for quick escape. These were used after an explosion in one pack house that resulted in several fatalities -- but thankfully, more were not injured thanks to these.

full_3_318.jpg

full_3_2405.jpg

full_3_2220.jpg

Click through to read more of Summer 2009 at the Ammunition Plant, which contains more photograph galleries from other buildings in the complex.

Be sure to check back for part three on the Indiana Army Ammunition Plant that will detail operations of M-Day and post-World War II. You can follow Abandoned on Facebook and on Twitter for the latest updates, sneak previews and more!

A trip into West Virginia

I recently had to travel out to Charlottesville, Virginia for a conference and decided to swing by two large historical sites in West Virginia: Weston State Hospital and Sweet Springs Resort. I will be returning to these for more photographs in the future, so stay tuned.

Weston State Hospital is now known as the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, and is open for tours.

full_3_1370.jpg

full_3_2311.jpg

full_3_1252.jpg

full_3_1772.jpg

You can find more Weston State Hospital photographs after the jump.

Originally opened as a health resort, over the years it became a sanatorium, a hospital, and towards the end of its active life, a nursing home and drug treatment center.

full_3_2355.jpg

full_3_1245.jpg

full_3_200.jpg

One of the cottages was outward bowing and in danger of collapse in 2003.

100904_22.jpg

Fast forward to 2009, it is being stabilized.

full_3_2006.jpg

100904_25.jpg

full_3_1091.jpg

200-year-old cottage in 2003

100904_35.jpg

It is being restored in 2009.

full_3_1495.jpg

Another cottage in 2003.

100904_31.jpg

Fully restored in 2009.

full_3_1506.jpg

full_3_1524.jpg

Spring House, 2003

100904_36.jpg

100904_38.jpg

100904_39.jpg

100904_42.jpg

2009: The sections that were collapsing were knocked down. The brick has been salvaged for complete restoration for 2010 that has been funded by the state.

full_3_702.jpg

full_3_480.jpg

full_3_2260.jpg

You can find many more Sweet Springs Resort after the jump. A wayward note: the property is well watched and guarded, and the property was photographed with the express permission of the owners, who are working with the state to restore the resort. All of the buildings are secured, and some are occupied.

You can follow Abandoned on Facebook and on Twitter for the latest updates, sneak previews and more!

Enjoy these fresh photographs!

• 4 weeks later...

These image tags are fickle for me. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Here's an abandoned shed.

2930649750105765977S600x600Q85.jpg

And its abandoned house

2278126560105765977S600x600Q85.jpg

An abandoned house, which has had a roof collapse since last fall.

2556093700105765977S600x600Q85.jpg

That house at left and the shed at right

2521699940105765977S600x600Q85.jpg

And an old fence on the property.

2990024100105765977S600x600Q85.jpg

This house is right at the edge of town. At this point the road turns to gravel.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I paid a visit to Hayswood Hospital in Maysville, Kentucky. I headed down to the historic community of 4,000 a week ago to recapture many elements of the hospital, and to focus on the details that I overlooked previously. Along for the exploration was a friend from Cincinnati.

Resting atop Market Street, Hayswood overlooks the historic city, and it's a wonder why it hasn't been demolished or renovated into apartments since its closure way back in 1983. The first segment of the current complex was constructed in 1915, but was expanded in 1925 and 1971 to include a total of 87 patient beds. It was landlocked and geographically-challenged, and was relocated to the top of the hill.

full_3_1462.jpg

One of the only intact patient rooms. In fact, there wasn't much left to see after many years of abandonment. What hasn't rusted through has, for the most part, fallen to the floor and buried by mounds of ceiling tile mush and debris.

full_3_477.jpg

Children's Ward

full_3_2574.jpg

full_3_1249.jpg

full_3_2625.jpg

A surgery room. This would make for an awesome band profile photograph.

full_3_1555.jpg

full_3_2304.jpg

full_3_559.jpg

full_3_1744.jpg

full_3_2630.jpg

full_3_2206.jpg

What's more intriguing was the footsteps we heard slithering away on the floors covered in debris. While you realistically cannot walk about the hospital without making some sound due to the amount of debris in the way, it brought forth both caution and amusement.

Could it be The Cursed Wrestler, who wanders about town protecting the living from the spirits of Hayswood? Or could it be the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcB1Oj5s8kI, whose spirit supposedly still haunts this place?

Yeah, I'll bet it was The Cursed Wrestler.

Check out the Maysville, Kentucky Blog entry, Spooky Footage of Hayswood Hospital for more laughs. The comments are just as golden.

You can find more of my photographs from Hayswood Hospital at my article --

http://www.abandonedonline.net/index.php?catid=386

• 2 weeks later...

A tale of two houses.

When I lived in Lexington, Kentucky for five years, and was free from the restraints of an eight-to-five job, I frequently traveled the back roads of the state, finding new places to photograph and explore on an almost daily basis. There were times when I would pass by a location and say to myself, "I'll check it out on my next trip."

Too tired to exit the vehicle and investigate. Getting too dark outside. Classes in the morning. Always some excuse.

One house that I fortunately returned to after a several-year hiatus was the William Tarr House, located in Bourbon County, Kentucky. Constructed for A.J. Hitt in the mid-1860s, who owned a flour and grist mill in Millersburg, the house was sold to William Tarr at some time before 1877. Tarr was a farmer and distiller who operated the Old Tarr Distillery in Lexington, which is now the home of the city's up-and-coming Distllery District.

Tarr updated the original Federal-style residence with Italianate detailing. The main entry way featired fine Flemish-bond brickwork on the front wall, which was an expensive and laborious process to complete. The interior featured several surviving doors and other elements from the Federal-era, however, most were swallowed up in the Italianate improvements shortly after the Civil War.

A two-level ell was constructed in the rear, along with an expansion of the residence. The residence was surmised to have been last used in 1985.

Between my first visit and this trip, much has changed. The rear addition has had a major roof collapse, and the second floor has quietly slipped down onto the first.

full_3_2173.jpg

full_3_1929.jpg

Kitchen

full_3_924.jpg

2007 foyer

3_468_567.jpg

2009 foyer

full_3_649.jpg

Great plaster molding, one of the few remaining.

full_3_606.jpg

full_3_279.jpg

full_3_1358.jpg

full_3_1041.jpg

Player piano of an unknown date

full_3_590.jpg

full_3_1619.jpg

full_3_324.jpg

full_3_2178.jpg

Another residence was Duncan Hill south of Bloomfield, Kentucky. Constructed in the mid-1850s, it was owned by Major Green Duncan who served in the state legislature and was later a sheriff and depot agent. The residence featured brick walls four-deep that were manufactured on-site, massive timber beams, eight rooms with 13-foot ceilings, and a kitchen in an ell. Slave quarters were located across the roadway.

Duncan Hall was abandoned in the early 1990s.

When I first set my eyes upon this house, I abruptly stopped and pulled by car into a rutted dirt driveway. "No Trespassing" signs were abundant, but it was clear that no one really cared about this stately residence. Courier-Journal newspapers from the 1960s littered the front porch, and vintage products from the 1980s stocked the shelves in the kitchen. And it appeared that more vintage furniture and items remained inside, although I only got but a few glimpses from the exterior.

There was seemingly no way to enter the main residence, though. The flooring had rotted through to the basement from the ell to the house via a hallway connecting the two. The basement stair steps had collapsed. And the front porch was all but non-existent in front of the swinging front door.

I thought I would return soon, but its location was fairly isolated. I decided a few nights ago to do some research on what I called just the "Classic-Revival Mansion," with nay any information sans some photographs from my first trip. Unfortunately, one of my first queries for an abandoned residence near Bloomfield was a newspaper article that stated a "historic" 1850s residence was destroyed in a fire along Springfield Road.

My heart abruptly sank. Was this the same house I briefly encountered years past? I called the local fire department the next day, and it was confirmed that the house that I longed to enter was engulfed in a raging inferno on August 2. Not arson, but a lightening strike.

So as I dig through more articles and prepare for a trip down to Bloomfield to meet a descendent of Major Green Duncan for an interview, here are some photographs from that first trip.

3_465_776.jpg

3_465_197.jpg

3_465_481.jpg

3_465_789.jpg

3_465_556.jpg

Be sure to click through to the William Tarr House and Duncan Hill for more photographs.

• 4 weeks later...

Constructed in 1850 as the First German Reformed Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, the church served the West End, a German-American neighborhood. The congregation folded in 1970 as the population declined and the demographics shifted, although it soon reopened under another congregation and title before closing all together in 1975. A community center purchased the property in 1993, although it has been vacant and deteriorating since.

Oh, I miss those warmer evenings.

full_3_1044.jpg

The lighting on this very cold day wasn't all that great, but it works.

full_3_1060.jpg

full_3_685.jpg

full_3_2948.jpg

full_3_1290.jpg

full_3_2937.jpg

full_3_2313.jpg

full_3_2576.jpg

full_3_436.jpg

Many areas of the facility have floors that have completely rotted to the joists, which are in poor structural condition. The owner has applied boards and plywood over many holes to provide a workaround.

full_3_201.jpg

full_3_2561.jpg

full_3_2879.jpg

full_3_176.jpg

And from today, another very cold afternoon.

full_3_591.jpg

The ceiling over the sanctuary is supported by large cables that attach to the rafters.

full_3_1633.jpg

The stairs lead up to the bell.

full_3_750.jpg

Click through to First German Reformed Church for more photographs and history. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

The Cincinnati and Eastern Railway (C&E) was a railroad from Idlewild in Norwood, near Cincinnati, to Portsmouth, Ohio. At its western terminus, it connected with the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern (CL&N) and the Pennsylvania Railroad Richmond Division (PRR), and to a Norfolk & Western line at its eastern terminus.

The C&E was chartered as the Cincinnati, Batavia & Williamsburg on January 11, 1876, but the name was changed and the projected route was extended to Portsmouth in May. In October 1876, the line was opened from Batavia Junction to Batavia, a distance of 15 miles, and by August of next year, the railroad had reached Winchester, a distance of 48 miles.

In June, a 5.5-mile western extension to the Miami Valley Railroad, later the CL&N Idlewild, was completed. It was constructed to the Miami Valley Railroad, who had promised a narrow-gauge connection via the Deer Creek valley to Cincinnati. When the Deer Creek tunnel project ran into financial difficulties, the C&E found that its connection to Cincinnati was completely useless for four years. The railroad soon went into receivership in January 1879 due to failures to collect stock subscriptions, but exited that in 1881.

At a meeting in November 1880 the shareholders voted to increase the capital stock from $500,000 to $2 million, and to authorize a bond issue to connect the railroad to Portsmouth and beyond to Gallipolis. In 1882, trackage rights were secured via the Deer Creek valley to Court Street in Cincinnati.

By the end of 1882, the C&E had reached Peebles, 72 miles from the Court Street depot. In May 1883, the railroad had reached Rarden, and Henley in late July. The C&E was completed to Portsmouth in 1884, with a 1,000-foot truss over the Scioto River as its centerpiece.

In 1886, the railroad was sold to the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton (CH&D), which defaulted and was sold to the Ohio & Northwestern Railroad (O&NW). The railroad went into receivership soon after, and in 1889, the railroad completed five miles of the long-projected Gallipolis extension from Portsmouth to Sciotoville.

In 1891, the railroad reorganized under the Cincinnati, Portsmouth & Virginia Railroad (CP&V), which merged with the Norfolk & Western (N&W) in October 1901.

In 1913, the Scioto River Bridge was replaced with a multi-span truss constructed by the American Bridge Company. Other trestle replacements included the construction of a girder span over Dry Run in 1941 by the Virginia Bridge Company.

In 1947, the N&W east of Peebles to Jaybird via Jaybird Creek was realigned when a quarry opened along Plum Run that required the railroad to be rerouted to the north and east. It included a new trestle above Cedar Fork and several miles of new trackage.

In 1982, the Norfolk & Western Railway consolidated with the Southern Railway to form the Norfolk Southern Corporation, and the railroad became the Norfolk Southern. The NS has railbanked the line east of Peebles to Vera Junction at Portsmouth.

Here is a sampling of photographs from Cincinnati to Portsmouth, flowing eastward.

full_3_528.jpg

A view of the small yard at Idlewild before its connection with the former Cincinnati, Northern & Lebanon.

full_3_2226.jpg

The track split from the Cincinnati, Northern & Lebanon to the Cincinnati & Eastern (C&E) at Idlewild.

full_3_686.jpg

One of two spans over Interstate 71 in Norwood, east of Idlewild. The line has been railbanked from Claire west to Idlewild.

full_3_692.jpg

The Cincinnati & Eastern (C&E) crosses over the Pennsylvania Railroad Richmond Divison (PRR). Behind me is the junction of the PRR and the Little Miami Railroad at Redbank, and to the east of Clare Yard, where the C&E and the Little Miami junctioned.

Since there is an image limit at this forum, pop on over to the full blog post for the remainder:

http://www.abandonedonline.net/index.php?q=blog&id=84

Thanks and enjoy! :)

• 1 month later...

Beautiful, warm weather, coupled with explorations of various historical and abandoned structures, always beats off the winter blues. In my trip to Parker Tobacco Company, I had also stopped at Vernon Manor in Cincinnati and Higginsport, Ohio School for additional photography.

full_3_1062.jpg

Vernon Manor.

full_3_2022.jpg

Derelict hallways.

full_3_2685.jpg

Elevator switches.

full_3_741.jpg

Emergency braking system for the elevator.

full_3_1455.jpg

Elevator motor.

full_3_1851.jpg

One of the tacky suites.

full_3_447.jpg

full_3_585.jpg

The stripping of the building's interior has already begun by contractors, who will gut the Vernon Manor in preparation for its conversion into an office tower.

full_3_1909.jpg

Kitchen.

full_3_516.jpg

Roof toilet.

full_3_2080.jpg

Typical bathroom.

full_3_2476.jpg

It was literally a red hallway.

full_3_2397.jpg

Fire hydrant on the roof.

full_3_763.jpg

Higginsport, Ohio School.