We need one of these at UrbanPlanet

monsoon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teens were no better nore worse behaved back in the 50's when corpral punishment was politically correct than they are now. Sit down and have a heart to heart talk with your parents about when they were teens. I bet that like my parents, they are chuck full of stories about all the trouble they've gotten themselves into as teens.

Funny..but again this is yet another example of the media making mountains out of mole hills. Its only the bad stuff about teens that makes it on TV and never any good. Nothing has changed dispite all the so-called TV phyco-analiysts' nay saying. Back when my parents where kids, behavior depicted in the linked videoclip was not uncommon. Hooligan activities that today's parents and adults are shocked and awed by happened back in the good ol' days as well. The middle school in Los Angeles my Mother attended was so violent that the state had to dispatch National Guard units to guard the school and keep things under control. The violence was always there. The only difference is Media coverage over-emphasizing the negative.

Children of today.

See Kid learns some basic science..

most of the stuff that kids do that's stupid and put on the internet or picked up by the media represents only a very small fraction of kids, probably less than 10% (i'd even say less than 5%). the other 90% are generally better behaved and don't pull those stupid stunts.

most of the stuff that kids do that's stupid and put on the internet or picked up by the media represents only a very small fraction of kids, probably less than 10% (i'd even say less than 5%). the other 90% are generally better behaved and don't pull those stupid stunts.

^ Agreed. Kids today are no better or worse than they've ever been. Sure, there are the very rare sensational acts of violence that get splashed all over the media and scare everyone, but those have always happened. Look at statistics on school violence. Despite all the news of Columbine and such incidents, violence in schools overall is the lowest it's been in decades.

More on topic, devices like this strike me as bordering on an invasion of civil rights. If teenagers are breaking laws, call the cops like you would if they were adults. Otherwise, don't they have as much right as anybody else to be in a place open to the general public?

^ Agreed. Kids today are no better or worse than they've ever been. Sure, there are the very rare sensational acts of violence that get splashed all over the media and scare everyone, but those have always happened. Look at statistics on school violence. Despite all the news of Columbine and such incidents, violence in schools overall is the lowest it's been in decades.

More on topic, devices like this strike me as bordering on an invasion of civil rights. If teenagers are breaking laws, call the cops like you would if they were adults. Otherwise, don't they have as much right as anybody else to be in a place open to the general public?

It says that that device will cause teens to go away in 8 to 10 minutes, but I can tell you it will only take a couple of seconds.There is a computer in my class that makes that sound when the monitor is turned on and after 10 minutes of hearing that your head and neck start to hurt with a slight nausea.

But like it's been said not all kids are bad. I almost got kicked off for being too young, but luckily I was on long enough to prove my worth.

I think it's pretty clear to see that many of today's teenagers are heading down paths of self destruction for a variety of reasons: broken family structures, media glorification of violence, racism and other forms of prejudice. Occasionally, they bring their bad attitudes onto UP and make it annoying for adults to enjoy this forum. This is not to say that earlier times were Mayberry 24/7 but stats don't lie. I have reached the hoary age of 29 :) I was a teenager not THAT long ago and I can't believe how much worse everything has gotten since then :shok:

I'm not a teenager, and I KNOW I've had posts thrown into the trash :lol:

although I am not far removed from my teen years, and have received a full college education, I can understand why children age 16 and under shouldn't be allowed here, there are some controversial topics right in this very forum (Coffee House) topics about sexuality, and violence, and heated opinions on certain matters, it makes sense that some parents would come in here and be super-offended. while I know that I wouldn't be offended if my eight year old was reading stuff on here, I know that most people wouldn't think that way.

On the subject of "Teen Repellents"

They are useless. I've known of these buggers for a while, and I can tell you that kids have just used the noise as a cell phone ring so their authority figures wont know when kids are receiving phone calls, or other means of communication under the radar of adults.

I remember hearing (pun not intended) about these things oh 6 years or so ago, and I was 18 then but I couldn't hear them, so it must work only on teens aged 12-16 then.

My friend had that "silent" cell phone ringer on her phone and i couldnt hear it. Since it likely uses that same high pitched type of noise that the cell phone ringer uses, why can some people hear it and some cant?

Sorry, sorta off topic,

Occasionally, they bring their bad attitudes onto UP and make it annoying for adults to enjoy this forum. This is not to say that earlier times were Mayberry 24/7 but stats don't lie. I have reached the hoary age of 29 :) I was a teenager not THAT long ago and I can't believe how much worse everything has gotten since then :shok:

Archived