Target coming to Rogers?

mcheiss

ArkansasBusiness seems to think that Target is planning to build a location in Rogers. They say that it could be somewhere along the I-540 corridor and either at the Pinnacle Promenade or Pleasant Crossing!!!!! Usually, when Arkansas Business reports on a potential store or something, they're usually right. They've released "potential" tenants and stores such as Sportsman's Warehouse, PF Changs, Sharper Image, etc all in Rogers months before any annoucement. My personal guess is that Target will come to the Pinnacle Promenade since the Promenade has plenty of tenant space under construction. I bet that one of those empty shell buildings under construction is a Target. Pleasant Crossing doesn't seem possible to me since Wal-Mart is already there. Hopefully we will find out more later.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ArkansasBusiness seems to think that Target is planning to build a location in Rogers. They say that it could be somewhere along the I-540 corridor and either at the Pinnacle Promenade or Pleasant Crossing!!!!! Usually, when Arkansas Business reports on a potential store or something, they're usually right. They've released "potential" tenants and stores such as Sportsman's Warehouse, PF Changs, Sharper Image, etc all in Rogers months before any annoucement. My personal guess is that Target will come to the Pinnacle Promenade since the Promenade has plenty of tenant space under construction. I bet that one of those empty shell buildings under construction is a Target. Pleasant Crossing doesn't seem possible to me since Wal-Mart is already there. Hopefully we will find out more later.

I'll humbly accept credit for this breaking news since I posted the "rumour" that Target was coming to Rogers around 9 months before ArkansasBusiness did:

A co-worker just told me the manager of Home Depot across from Pinnacle Promenade told her that a SuperTarget is going to built next door. If anyone can please help verify this information... my Googling isn't finding anything. If this is true then this is HUGE news for Pinnacle Hills as it'll be the first SuperTarget in Arkansas.

Actually, my Googling found this from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

"Target has 37 SuperTarget stores in 12 states, and plans to open 30 more SuperTargets this year. The company expects to open 200 SuperTarget stores by 2010, although some believe the figure could be as high as 400."

It would make sense that Target is "targeting" NWA for a SuperTarget and where else than Pinnacle Hills.

Yeah it's always nice to have an alternative. If I had to guess it will probably just be a regular Target. I'm not sure they consider NWA large enough for a Super Target. But we can always hope, it would be nice to see one of those in the metro.

FYI: Wichita, KS has 2 SuperTargets... you know the city whose baseball team we're taking? Wichita's metro isn't much larger than NWA, so 1 SuperTarget should be expected here, especially since Target is planning on opening 200 SuperTargets by 2010. I don't know where people keep getting NWA isn't big enough for these things. NWA isn't a small metro by any means and may well break into the "large metro" status within the next 10 years. Expected long-term growth in NWA is the highest in the country.

FYI: Wichita, KS has 2 SuperTargets... you know the city whose baseball team we're taking? Wichita's metro isn't much larger than NWA, so 1 SuperTarget should be expected here, especially since Target is planning on opening 200 SuperTargets by 2010. I don't know where people keep getting NWA isn't big enough for these things. NWA isn't a small metro by any means and may well break into the "large metro" status within the next 10 years. Expected long-term growth in NWA is the highest in the country.

I would expect to see NWA and LR area Targets remodeled to offer groceries and converted to SuperTargets over the next decade. The ridiculously busy one in West LR was clearly built with plenty of room to expand, though the new ones in Bryant and Conway weren't built with grocery stores, kind of bunking that.

I agree with that. They may build the Rogers Target to be expandable to a SuperTarget when the metro is larger, although I think the chance of the Fayetteville Target being converted is greater. I don't think Rogers' being in Wal-Mart's backyard will affect their decision to convert it to a SuperTarget since most of Wal-Mart's vendors and even a lot of their H.O. employees would readily shop at a SuperTarget over a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Wal-Mart doesn't have nearly as much clout in Rogers as they do in Bentonville, which is why Bentonville still lacks any retail stores at all other than Wal-Mart, while Rogers already has nearly as much retail square-footage as Fayetteville.

The number one reason a SuperTarget is likely in NWA is the lack of competition here. Besides Harp's and Wal-Mart's there's nothing in the way of a real grocery store. That should be a huge magnet for a SuperTarget, especially when they're planning such a large expansion in the next few years. In other words, expanding a Target in the Dallas area to a SuperTarget wouldn't be nearly as effective as one in NWA, since Dallas already has a very competetive grocery market.

I agree with that. They may build the Rogers Target to be expandable to a SuperTarget when the metro is larger, although I think the chance of the Fayetteville Target being converted is greater. I don't think Rogers' being in Wal-Mart's backyard will affect their decision to convert it to a SuperTarget since most of Wal-Mart's vendors and even a lot of their H.O. employees would readily shop at a SuperTarget over a Wal-Mart Supercenter. Wal-Mart doesn't have nearly as much clout in Rogers as they do in Bentonville, which is why Bentonville still lacks any retail stores at all other than Wal-Mart, while Rogers already has nearly as much retail square-footage as Fayetteville.

The number one reason a SuperTarget is likely in NWA is the lack of competition here. Besides Harp's and Wal-Mart's there's nothing in the way of a real grocery store. That should be a huge magnet for a SuperTarget, especially when they're planning such a large expansion in the next few years. In other words, expanding a Target in the Dallas area to a SuperTarget wouldn't be nearly as effective as one in NWA, since Dallas already has a very competetive grocery market.

I completely agree.

That kind of makes it bizarre that Target has been so eager to get in the grocery market in DFW, supposedly the nation's most competitive, but not in places like NWA where they could immediately take a big piece of the market share. Again, I bet distribution and supply are probably playing more of a role than we realize.

I managed to score a list of Target Distribution Centers. As well, Target doesn't recieve it's grocery items from any Target Distribution Center. Instead, they recieve groceries from companies that they have pared with. I do know that the produce in SuperTargets comes from Supervalu, which is another grocery store chain. It's a bit odd that they do it like that, since Wal-mart has seperate Distribution Centers from General Merchandise and Grocery.

Huntsville, AL

Maumelle, AR

Phoenix, AZ

Fontana, CA

Rialto-Ontario, CA

Rialto, CA

Shafter, CA

Woodland, CA

Pueblo, CO

Midway, GA

Savannah, GA

Tifton, GA

Cedar Falls, IA

Dekalb, IL

Indianapolis, IN

Topeka, KS

Kalamazoo, MI

Fridley, MN

Woodbury, MN

Amsterdamn, NY

Wilton, NY

West Jefferson, OH

Albany, OR

Chambersburg, PA

Lugoff, SC

Midlothian, TX

Tyler, TX

Stuarts Draft, VA

Suffolk, VA

Lacey, WA

Oconomowoc, WI

That's the strongest argument against a SuperTarget locating here. It doesn't help that NWA is so isolated from any major metro like "most" other booming mid-size metros. NWA is a good 90-miles out of the way of Tulsa, but not on any major interstate artery.

Archived