I want to be back downtown

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm out in Cascade too Budgie. It does SUCK! However, we are still in limbo as to whether we'll be employed after the holidays. My company is either closing it's doors completely or another guy is buying us out and may still need my services. If so, I'll probably be able to work from home in Heritage Hill.

If we close up completely, I'll be seriously looking for something downtown--but given the job climate will pretty much have to take whatever I can get.

I'm out in Cascade too Budgie. It does SUCK! However, we are still in limbo as to whether we'll be employed after the holidays. My company is either closing it's doors completely or another guy is buying us out and may still need my services. If so, I'll probably be able to work from home in Heritage Hill.

If we close up completely, I'll be seriously looking for something downtown--but given the job climate will pretty much have to take whatever I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a job two months ago in Holland which is pretty rewarding plus I work with a former boss who I respect. Working out there makes me apprieciate Grand Rapids even more however. Its not a knock on Holand by any means but being out of the city makes me more excited about being here and living near it. The thirty minute commute one way is a drag but I could never leave the GR area.

Working downtown would be a dream come true for many people. I long for the day where I can walk from work and do most of my shopping on foot or bicycle.

I took a job two months ago in Holland which is pretty rewarding plus I work with a former boss who I respect. Working out there makes me apprieciate Grand Rapids even more however. Its not a knock on Holand by any means but being out of the city makes me more excited about being here and living near it. The thirty minute commute one way is a drag but I could never leave the GR area.

Working downtown would be a dream come true for many people. I long for the day where I can walk from work and do most of my shopping on foot or bicycle.

Budge asked for reasons...

1) "City sidewalks, busy sidewalks, dressed in holiday style..."

2) Street performers

3) Conversations with other pedestrians, drivers, my UPS guy, former city buddies, da po-lice...

4) Olive Express (I take a vacation day Friday and again on Monday. Guess where I will be found!!)

5) Display windows like Little Bohemia's and the luggage store

6) Interesting sidewalk textures

7) Sidewalks

8) Tall buildings

9) Interesting architecture compiled over many decades, instead of the homogenized plastic sign late 20thC sprawlmart can-be-found-anywhere mediocrity. (Greater Houston looks the same as Grandville as Effingham as Memphis as Carbondale.)

10) Density benefiting many. One pass with the snowplow helps thousands of folks. (Yep, I too was motoring in it yesterday.)

11) Main library is the coolest in the system.

The Holland area in some ways reminds me of Annapolis Maryland. I love the downtown part of the city and the beach is nice and isn't too crowded in the summertime.

The drive sours me more than anything else but it is worth it for me considering who I work for, etc.

Yes, I'm on the southwest corner of Cherry & James, technically I guess it's 3 houses east of Heritage Hill proper but it's easier when trying to explain where I live to friends who aren't familiar with the neighborhood boundaries - they know "Heritage Hill" plus I'm in a huge old Queen Anne Victorian so it's still in keeping with the historic designation. Someone else I was talking to the other day referred to my actual Cherry Hill neighborhood as the "Valley of the Kings" which really cracked me up, James, Henry, Charles - one of my best friends lives at Charles & Wealthy.

Archived