Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtown

Citizen's Band Radio

16 posts in this topic

Do any of you guys use CB radios? Ive got a hand held one that sucks, and it it pretty fun to talk to truckers and stuff. When i get a car, im definatly putting a CB in it.

Any body else think that CBs are fun?

My dad was a cross-country trucker, and I had a blast playing with his when I got to ride with him on trips. He also had CB's installed in both his pickup and mom's car. I had one for a while, but with cell phones, CD players, GPS, and everything else going on in the car, I've left the CB behind. Albeit in some remote areas they would be more useful if you were in trouble than a cell phone!

When I was in junior high school in the early 90s a handful of friends and I all got CBs and talked to each other from our homes. I remember being able to talk to surprisingly pleasant strangers almost anytime. I expect that CB use is down since then due to cell phones and internet chat.

I'm old. I remeber when GM offered them as an option on new cars. You could get an eight track player, too.

we used to have a ton of fun talking to truckers with the CB on long road trips. my father uses one to talk to his girlfriend who used to be a trucker. if you get a good one with a good antenna, you can usually chat with people that are pretty far away.

we also used to use them on boy scout camping trips when the whole troop would meet somewhere and then drive in separate cars. i'm anti-boy scouts now though.

I'm old. I remeber when GM offered them as an option on new cars. You could get an eight track player, too.

Ahh yeah. They got real popular when the national speed limit of 55 was imposed and people would use them to talk to the truckers and others to find out where the speed traps were.

Remember the movie Convoy? :lol:

My dad was a cross-country trucker, and I had a blast playing with his when I got to ride with him

If you get on the CB radio driving through Nevada, you can talk to some .. ah .. "independent business women". :lol:

haha! My friend said something about that the other day.

White leather! haha, very classy in its day, im sure.

Yeah, I had a Cobra 40-channel on my Mustang, I put it in in 2003 but sold the car early 2005. It was good fun and I picked up some interesting chatter on I-5 going back and forth to college...although, unfortunately, a lot of it was in Spanish.

I remember when 40 channel CBs were a big deal. The first ones were 21 channels, IIRC.

I also remember the first time I saw a Fuzzbuster. I think it was '75 or '76. Thing was twice as big as a Monsterburger box.

^ Yeah, when I was a kid everybody had to have a fuzzbuster and now no one does (or at least no one I know does).

Quick edit: When I was in high school I went up to Atlanta with about half my high school and a friend of mine had a CB. Life Lesson Number 26: Never joke around on a CB in Atlanta---they listen!!!