Greenville's 2007 Top Ten Wish List

GSP Tiger

I agree. :thumbsup:

Another spot that I've always thought would add to the midtown feel, is the small plot of undeveloped land with trees at the corner of Pelham and Haywood (across from Exxon). When you are at this intersection the view is great...Verdae...Laurens....etc. Imagine the views from an 8 or 10 story condo. Could be a sliver building as this is a small plot of land.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have often considered what a great addition an observation tower would be to our list of attractions in downtown Greenville. I would love to see something "similar" to the Eiffel Tower in Paris - on a smaller scale of course. But a nice signature restaurant somewhere inside or on top would be just perfect. One thing Greenville does as well as any city is provide lots of thriving dining options in and around downtown. Since they are so successful overall, I would imagine one fitting my description would become a premiere place to dine downtown. Perhaps the restaurant could be lower than the actual observation deck on the pinnacle - like the Eiffel Tower. Wait a minute... what about a cool signature observation tower/artistic structure on top of Paris Mountain? COOL! :shades:

1. Funding for lightrail from Downtown to Simpsonville becomes a reality.

2. Developers add density to North Main from Academy to Stone...midrise 6,7,8 story buildings with retail on ground floor to fill in the parking lots along North Main and extend the downtown Main Street feel.

3. An observation tower on Roper Mountain.

4. Construction to begin on the 2nd "Collaboration" village at CU-ICAR.

5. A West Coast nonstop from GSP.....US Airways to Phoenix or Las Vegas hubs......United to the Denver hub.........Delta to the Salt Lake City hub.

6. Construction of the Federal Courthouse to begin.

7. Funding for high speed rail along the 85 corridor, along with construction of a new intermodal terminal in downtown (high speed rail, light rail, GTA transfer point, etc).

8. Development of the block with the existing GTA transfer station into a high rise.

9. Continued development around Haywood, so this area becomes a true midtown.

10. Addition of national retailers downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

All of the ideas here are great, I just have one I would like to add. I would love to see the city

make it more attractive for people to use N.E.V.s {Neighborhood Electric Vehicles}to do

in town running around. It would be neat if you could drive your N.E.V. From your house

on north main to the BiLo, Publix,Ballpark or one of the parking garages and have a way

to charge your car. Maybe some of the condos could offer their residence parking spaces

with power outlets. Just a thought.

All of the ideas here are great, I just have one I would like to add. I would love to see the city

make it more attractive for people to use N.E.V.s {Neighborhood Electric Vehicles}to do

in town running around. It would be neat if you could drive your N.E.V. From your house

on north main to the BiLo, Publix,Ballpark or one of the parking garages and have a way

to charge your car. Maybe some of the condos could offer their residence parking spaces

with power outlets. Just a thought.

• 5 months later...

This was my wishlist:

1. The Camperdown to start construction -- ahem, we'll ignore this one. <_<

2. City Hall Plaza to announce plans for new mixed use development and to begin construction -- it's been announced and plans have been made public and now it's just waiting for construction.

3. The West End's revitilation to continue with the opening of new retail and resturants farther into the district -- It's happening...

4. The 8-story West End residential tower begin construction due to high interest -- it's possible to begin this yea. atleast it's not dead.

5. Riverplace to start on atleast one new building in addition to completing the Terrace at Riverplace. -- the Terrace is nearing completion and The Journal reports that more could occur at Riverplace soon...

6. Some sort of progress be made with the new federal courthouse, whether it be a design competition or a near DEFINITE time table. -- Well, the best news about this one is that it's not happening at the Gateway site and another proposal upwards of 10 stories is in the works. I'll take it.

7. Announcement of atleast one new tower and the announcement of plans for Main at Washington/Piazza Bergamo/Bank of America... -- <_< still waiting at this point.

8. Magnolia Park Town Center construction to occur fast and residential interest to be high. -- i'll trade McChesney for this one since residential is gone. I really could care less if Magnolia happens now. Without residential, it's little more than sprawl...

9. TR-Greenville tram service to begin and be extremely successful to reach its full potential

10. Greenville and Greenville County to experience more smart growth and dense infill.

Archived