Visions for the Civic Center

MadVlad

How with a straight face can you say they don't want the Hartford market to be Rangers fans? That's all they've ever wanted. The MSG argument is not a red herring. MSG being here is not in our best interest. MSG's best interest is to keep the Wolf Pack here and create new Ranger fans. It is not to help Hartford achieve a goal of getting another NHL team. Wake up, brother...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting back on track, the Civic Center mall was a large collection of boarded up stores with a few exceptions. The mall was losing money and the owner wanted to shut the doors. The city brought the mall from the owner, Aetna, and backed the new project. Any recollection of the mall as a "succcess" is revisionist history. The mall was on the way out because it was losing money.

Tycoon:

True it was the best franchise. I just hope we could reuse the Blizzard as a WNBA team (and the HellCats for an NBA team). I think a 23,500 - for hockey, more for basketball - seat arena would work. Other sports teams?

I'd love to see a Yale-UConn ice hockey (men's and Women's) game there.

JimS

Mikel:

For those of you who keep saying the current HCC is decrepid, falling apart, an eyesore, etc.

It is!! An Arena built in the 1970s is outdated.

You're wrong. The current building could have a good lifespan for years to come. It's in fine condition. The reason you want a new arena is because the greedy owners of the NHL and NBA all want a building filled with luxury suites etc.

Mikel, the lifespan for an arena built in the 1970s is past! It is not just GREEDY OWNERS (I am a greedy owner -- I got a share of Green Bay Football club. :)), but ask people who knows these things. The skyboxes are not in a good location and some seats at the HCC do have a great view -- of cement.

However, if you're a real sports fan, you'd prefer the current HCC to any new arena in the country. Go try and enjoy yourself at a Bruins or Celtics game today in their building, just try it, it's nearly impossible. The HCC puts you right on top of the action.

I'm a true sports fan -- I don't like the TDBANKNORTH GARDEN. I think when the HCC gets replaced -- LG will create an arena that has the noise of the old HCC with opening viewing for all.

I understand what you're saying but it isn't like 12-b is in another neighborhood. It is still considered downtown and the only reason it seems like a dead zone now is because it is a huge lot of nothingness. If something was built there it would (in theory) be integrated into the fabric of downtown and in my eyes, that is what makes the project so great. It would expand the existing footprint of what people consider "downtown." I agree with you that the current Civic Center location should house something that remains a draw and continues to benefit the city though.

I don't see why it's so hard to visualize. It's like a 2 minute walk. If you fill in the gaps left by the vacant lots it will seem alot more interconnected. Is it hard for you to see it due to people having to walk over I84? If Downtown is successful, it will be enough of a draw to entice many people to do so. If Downtown does not truly become successful as far as drawing new residents and retailers, all of these discussions are moot anyway in my opinion. If Downtown comes to life as promised, building the Arena in 12B would be a good move.

For once you're saying something right that I can agree with. At first MSG put in a couple Knicks and Rangers game, but the Knicks suck and I doubt they played anyone impressive, and the Rangers played the Bruins. How could any Whalers fan try to cheer for either of those teams? I think MSG has managed the Civic Center as cheaply as possible and turned off many potential fans to their constant plugging of the Rangers. I don't follow hockey anymore, but I still was a Whalers fan and will never cheer for the Rangers or for their team in Hartford. Also, the Wolfpack games are so lame I hate being there. The Whalers fans that made those games so exciting are just not there. They'd have to pay me to go there now.

UConn just built a new ice arena no less than 7 years ago, why would they play any games at a hartford rink? the idea of uconn hockey in hartford is ridiculous. uconn basketball is one thing, you will sell out the civic center, which has more seats than Gampell. UC Hockey is not going to sell out, and doesn't make sense save for major colegiate tourneys.

UConn just built a new ice arena no less than 7 years ago, why would they play any games at a hartford rink? the idea of uconn hockey in hartford is ridiculous. uconn basketball is one thing, you will sell out the civic center, which has more seats than Gampell. UC Hockey is not going to sell out, and doesn't make sense save for major colegiate tourneys.

blink....has nothing to do with positive or negative. I believe there was a question about hockey in Hartford. I remember taking a class in college on sports, attendance, and the press. It is a circle. No press, means poor attendance. Poor attendance means less press coverage, etc. I believe there is certainly room for the UConn hockey program to grow. I also believe that the reason UConn men's and women's hoops are so popular is due to press coverage. Just my opinion....others are entitled to theirs.

I think you need to have a "Nutmeg Cup" type tournament similar to the Beanpot with QU, UConn, Yale, and [?]. But I do think the NCAA tournament would be a big draw in Hartford. I also think that starting with one big UConn hockey game in Hartford...perhaps QU vs. UConn would draw people in. They could build on that.

blink....has nothing to do with positive or negative. I believe there was a question about hockey in Hartford. I remember taking a class in college on sports, attendance, and the press. It is a circle. No press, means poor attendance. Poor attendance means less press coverage, etc. I believe there is certainly room for the UConn hockey program to grow. I also believe that the reason UConn men's and women's hoops are so popular is due to press coverage. Just my opinion....others are entitled to theirs.

With all due respect to College Hockey, College Basketball is pretty popular across the country regardless of region. College Hockey is more regional in my opinion. Uconn Hoops gets press because they play and defeat nationally known teams who are all well followed. Nationally in the North, South, Midwest, and West, college hoops is big. So I would say maybe the national sports media has a hand in it, but to say it's due to a lack of local media coverage that Uconn Hockey is not wildly popular is a bit simplistic.

Archived