Charlotte takes first steps towards Medical College

uptownliving

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually guys....this isn't really big news. It is a step, but from the looks of things, not much is changing. It doesn't talk about bringing a med school to charlotte, but just some more programs with 3rd and 4th year med students. They actually already do this. 3rd and 4th year in med school are out of the classroom. They are all based on rotations in different fields of medicine. In fact, i plan to do as many rotations as possible in charlotte when i start 4th year.

However, this could lead to the advancement of a future medical school on the cmc campus. To be honest, CMC is so huge (it does indeed have research labs), that the thing a medical school has on it is a couple of classrooms. All the state would have to do is put up some money (the facilities are already in place at CMC). This is interesting news nonetheless. Alright, i am off to the cadaver lab....finals coming up. ya'll have a good one.

However, this could lead to the advancement of a future medical school on the cmc campus. To be honest, CMC is so huge (it does indeed have research labs), that the thing a medical school has on it is a couple of classrooms. All the state would have to do is put up some money (the facilities are already in place at CMC). This is interesting news nonetheless. Alright, i am off to the cadaver lab....finals coming up. ya'll have a good one.

I'll bet this will raise the stature of the local hospitals, and the obvious benefit of increase the capacity for creating people with medical skills. But beyond that, the impact seems overstated. This will not create the multipliers that two major research hospitals and top tier medical programs that benefit the Triangle.

It is still an important first step to growing a programs organically. Everything must start somewhere.

I'll bet this will raise the stature of the local hospitals, and the obvious benefit of increase the capacity for creating people with medical skills. But beyond that, the impact seems overstated. This will not create the multipliers that two major research hospitals and top tier medical programs that benefit the Triangle.

It is still an important first step to growing a programs organically. Everything must start somewhere.

I too, read the article this afternoon and don't really see that much will be changing, at least at first.

All of the core (3rd year) rotations and many electives are available to UNC students at the CMC campus currently. What this article appears to indicate is possibly an increase in the number of students training in Charlotte, and possibly a program in place that allows students the option of completing their ENTIRE 3rd year and most of their 4th year (except for electives not available in Charlotte) at the CMC campus. This would be similar to what the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at UMDNJ does with its Camden campus.

I think all of this would be a wonderful addition to Charlotte, but from what I hear CMC and such are begging to people to come work, but rarely ever actually hire.

Beyond that, do we have what it takes to attract people to do rotations here? Are the hospitals "top notch" enough?

• 4 months later...

So where do you think this will go? The logical thought is on the CMC campus but currently there is not a facility or building there that can hold a med school. They are maxed out on space in existing buildings. They still have a decent amount of open space left whether you go with on Morehead with the one story offices, the parking lots on Kings Drive or the land around the Health Sciences College and Carolinas Rehab Institute. Personally, I think they should tear down the college and build a new one, utilizing the space better and keeping most all of the educational departments together.

My friend who's one of the administrators who will be overseeing this process and then be in charge of a lot of things on both campuses said nothings doing until they can get the state legislature to approve it and give some money. Then it's probably about 5 years down the road before they expect to open their doors.

I think all of this would be a wonderful addition to Charlotte, but from what I hear CMC and such are begging to people to come work, but rarely ever actually hire.

Beyond that, do we have what it takes to attract people to do rotations here? Are the hospitals "top notch" enough?

only 1st and 2nd year med students are actually in a classroom. 3rd and 4th year students have "rotations" through various fields of medicine. This already occurs at CMC (and from what i hear, more of that will occur as well). So in the big scheme of things, CMC already has everything except the larger classrooms. It already does have some classroom space (and probably could support a small medical school), but an expansion of those facilities would be needed. I have no doubt the expansion plans will come to fruition within the next few years. My logic for that? The growing medical crisis which our nation will see esp once the couple generations after the baby boomers hit retirement time.

I am well aware of their affiliation. I was trying to make a point.

The med students that rotate into CMC only stay for about 2 weeks. There is still a lot of classroom time as well as patient simulation labs that have to be done. CMC is currently not set up for this and does not have enough room. They have some patient sim labs but they are currently dedicated to the CRNA and RN programs.

I think I would have to shoot someone in the UNC system office if the medical program set up at CMC (lecture halls, etc) were attributed to UNC-Chapel Hill rather than the UNC system in general, a whole new college, or UNC-Charlotte. But, knowing our state, this is the most likely scenario. <_<

I think I would have to shoot someone in the UNC system office if the medical program set up at CMC (lecture halls, etc) were attributed to UNC-Chapel Hill rather than the UNC system in general, a whole new college, or UNC-Charlotte. But, knowing our state, this is the most likely scenario. <_<

Archived