Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spartan

Top Ten Wish List for Spartanburg 2007

17 posts in this topic

Just like last year we have a wishlist for 2007! Be somewhat realistic, but we can dream to right? :)

My list:

1. More retail & restaurants downtown

2. Progress on the proposed road diet for E Main

3. More mixed-use downtown housing (esp. off of Main St)

4. Increased occupancy rates for downtown office space

5. Another large corporation downtown

6. More emphasis on City neighborhoods, city living, particularly south of downtown (Hampton Heights, S Converse) but also areas like the N Dean, Park Hills, and Overbrook neighborhoods.

7. New stores in the Hillcrest retail & restaurant scene

8. More bike lanes around town

9. Solution to the Duncan Park Stadium problem

10. ANY progress on the Renaissance Park property (besides the CAC)

Just like last year we have a wishlist for 2007! Be somewhat realistic, but we can dream to right? :)

My list:

1. More retail & restaurants downtown

2. Progress on the proposed road diet for E Main

3. More mixed-use downtown housing (esp. off of Main St)

4. Increased occupancy rates for downtown office space

5. Another large corporation downtown

6. More emphasis on City neighborhoods, city living, particularly south of downtown (Hampton Heights, S Converse) but also areas like the N Dean, Park Hills, and Overbrook neighborhoods.

7. New stores in the Hillcrest retail & restaurant scene

8. More bike lanes around town

9. Solution to the Duncan Park Stadium problem

10. ANY progress on the Renaissance Park property (besides the CAC)

1. Increased development on the Renaissance site

2. Charrette ideas get implemented, not just left sitting on the shelf

3. More rehab projects for downtown structures

4. A mixed-use midrise downtown

5. A hotel announced for downtown

I can't think of 10 things, so i'll shoot for 5

5. Dupree House Restored and moved out of the ghetto

4. Longhorn Steak returns

3. "Something" done with Beaumont mills (What's the deal with this?)

2. "Something" done with Arcadia mills (is something going on now?)

1. USC Upstate announces a plan for football (Keep in mind, this is a wish list)

Come on guys, it can't be THAT hard to come up with 10 things. <_<

USC Upstate has grand plans from what I understand (not just their published ones). I have heard thay they want to become a much larger institution and I expect that football would be in thier grand vision. Maybe not next year... but eventually. They admitted the largest freshment class ever this year at around 800... I think when I was a freshmen in college it was in the upper 600s, so the size of the student body is definitely going up. The just need to increase the number of students that stay on campus. I'm not sure if there are any NCAA requirements for having a football program or not. It would definitely be interesting to have two college football teams intown in the same division.

I have an excuse, as I'm not as familiar with Spartanburg as the natives/residents. :) But let me try to come up with 5 more.

6. A unique downtown attraction for Spartanburg

7. Intown neighborhoods see significant investment through public-private partnerships

8. Cooperation with the colleges resulting in some serious community/economic development

9. A city/county consolidation, or at least a consolidation of some city/county services

10. More downtown residents

1. The arts that Spartanburg has needs to be marketed and showcased better. (more $$$)

2. More performing arts groups and more plays/shows/performances per year. (more $$$)

3. Invest the money back into the community. (more street lights, maybe a nice landmark or work on the DuPre House, for example)

4. Here's an easy one; I want a Fazoli's. :-)

5. Widen Old John Dodd Road and actually paint a dotted yellow line on. Way too much traffic flows on that road for this to not already be fixed.

6. Make the 5-way stop on Belcher Road a 4-way stop and give the subdivision that's on River Forest Road outlets on Belcher Road, Old Furnace Road and possibly even Old John Dodd Road.

7. I would just LOOOOOOVE...... it if Computer Direct Outlet started doing business in Spartanburg.

8. For the talks of the Amtrak from Charlotte to Atlanta with a stop at the GSP Airport to finally produce some tangible results.

9. Get rid of the speed trap from Pine Street merging into Asheville Highway. (Preferably the solution would involve bumping up the Asheville Highway speed limit by 5 mph.

10. More restaurants that deliver in the Boiling Springs area. We have lots of pizza places, but no chinese, steak-out, etc...

Addendum:

11. Lay off the Waffle House's. We have enough. ;-)

That 5 way stop on Belcher Rd is confusing. A 4 way would be much better there...

There is already Amtrak service from Atlanta to Charlotte and points beyond. Are you talking about the high speed rail?

I'm sorry, yes. The hi-speed rail. I see talks come up about it every now and then. I think it'd be great. I'd do a whole lot more shopping (and eating) in Atlanta if that finally came through. Not to mention the fact that people would be coming here too. ;-) We all win.

If HSR does come through the Upstate, a stop in Spartanburg will be necessary. A stop in Greer would be counter productive at best. The HSR should stop at every major city core (defined by the government as those with over 50,000 in their urban area) on the route. Spartanburg has about 150,000 in its urban area. Greer is a suburb of Greenville and even Spartanburg to a certain extent.

The theory behind the one HSR stop in Greer is that people will use it to get to the airport... they want to set up a bus that will transfer people between the airport and downtown Greer, where the rail stop would be. I think this is a horirble idea for many reaons.

First of all, the only people that use GSP are people in Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson. Its not a hub airport or a major destination airport.

Second, look at Europe and every major city in the USA and look at where its successful train stations are.... they are ALL in the city CORES. Not in the suburbs. There is a reason that Spartanburg's train station is where it is and not out at Drayton. Also Look at DC, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Paris, London, etc. for good train station examples.... this leads me to my 3rd reason....

Third, if we in the Upstate are really going to change the future we need to stop creating situations that force us to use the car. We need to have station stops in places that are served by mass transit, and Greer is jsut not one of those places. Greenville and Spartanburg are. People MUST have a way to get to where they are going when they get to their destination. Its true that we don't have the best set up right now, but it would be very shortsighted to think that people won't step in to fill the gaps once the infrastructure is in place.

That is t he end of my rant about why the HSR stop in Greer is a bad idea. The reality is that two stops are being looked at more seriously (in Greenville and Spartanburg) than the one stop idea in Greer, so no worries there :)

If HSR does come through the Upstate, a stop in Spartanburg will be necessary. A stop in Greer would be counter productive at best. The HSR should stop at every major city core (defined by the government as those with over 50,000 in their urban area) on the route. Spartanburg has about 150,000 in its urban area. Greer is a suburb of Greenville and even Spartanburg to a certain extent.

The theory behind the one HSR stop in Greer is that people will use it to get to the airport... they want to set up a bus that will transfer people between the airport and downtown Greer, where the rail stop would be. I think this is a horirble idea for many reaons.

First of all, the only people that use GSP are people in Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson. Its not a hub airport or a major destination airport.

Second, look at Europe and every major city in the USA and look at where its successful train stations are.... they are ALL in the city CORES. Not in the suburbs. There is a reason that Spartanburg's train station is where it is and not out at Drayton. Also Look at DC, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Paris, London, etc. for good train station examples.... this leads me to my 3rd reason....

Third, if we in the Upstate are really going to change the future we need to stop creating situations that force us to use the car. We need to have station stops in places that are served by mass transit, and Greer is jsut not one of those places. Greenville and Spartanburg are. People MUST have a way to get to where they are going when they get to their destination. Its true that we don't have the best set up right now, but it would be very shortsighted to think that people won't step in to fill the gaps once the infrastructure is in place.

That is t he end of my rant about why the HSR stop in Greer is a bad idea. The reality is that two stops are being looked at more seriously (in Greenville and Spartanburg) than the one stop idea in Greer, so no worries there :)

That's wonderful news, Spartan. I was afraid that part of the discussion was over. I had seen on the news about a month and a half ago and they were talking as though the GSP stop was just what was going to happen.

I'm excited to hear that they put the 'one stop each' idea back on the table.

I can imagine a businessman flying into GSP and thinking he can take the rail and stop at Spartanburg or Greenville. "Wait... What am I doing in Atlanta?" That would not be good.

I agree with you for the most part, the only exception being if they could have a stop directly @ the airport. Then and only then would the stop be productive. I know I would use it rather than pay $7.00+ a day to park my car!!!

A stop directly at the airport, along with Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson stops would be perfect! :thumbsup:

Clemson is where it would have be if they put one on the other side of Greenville... the rail corridor they want to use doesn't go to Anderson unfortunately.