Norfolk Nightlife

soloextreme

Premiere's 1 year anniversary party is this Saturday the 24th. Hard to beleive its been open for a year already!

That place was so packed the fire marshall tried to shut it down. They stopped letting people in by midnight and the crowd/ line outside was so large it spilled out across Granby street and the police came in to help control the crowd. Needless to say, I think that is quite the succesful venue. :lol:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That place was so packed the fire marshall tried to shut it down. They stopped letting people in by midnight and the crowd/ line outside was so large it spilled out across Granby street and the police came in to help control the crowd. Needless to say, I think that is quite the succesful venue. :lol:

Yeah, it was a fun night! Tons of people. The music was not so great in my opinion. I've been there on regular nights where the music was much better. The laser light was something I've been telling Bobby he needs to have for some time now. Overall, very successful night for them. I think if they lowered the cover they would do much more business. I'd like for them to keep going strong! Did you get a load of what the "models" out front were wearing? Crazy!

Did you get a load of what the "models" out front were wearing?

Not much! :lol: Most of it was painted on. A good strong gust of wind or some heavy rain and they'd be damn near naked. I felt like I was in South Beach. The spotlight outside was a nice touch too. They were already over capacity though so I don't think that lowering cover will really make that much of a difference. $10 bucks is pretty standard fare around here now (though I got in for free). I think the dj did pretty good, i've heard better but I've heard far worse too (the guy with the bongo drums was kinda irritating though, I really was just interested in hearing the music). It's funny that you went to this, we probably passed eachother several times in that mayhem. All in all it was a good time (except for having to wait for an hour to get into the afterhours club down the street). The fire marshall showed up there too, he must've been bored. :rolleyes:

edit: That champagne/red bull drink they were serving there was very good. It's the first time i've had something like that. I hope that becomes a regular part of their drink menu and wasn't just for one night.

• 2 weeks later...

Euro Night Russia this Saturday. With all the Russian cuties around these days, it could be pretty authentic.

:shades:

Yep, i'll be there two. My friend who works there says they'll even be busing Russians in fromt he oceanfront. :lol:

Euro Night Russia this Saturday. With all the Russian cuties around these days, it could be pretty authentic.

:shades:

We have the same scenario here in the "Burg". Every summer we are populated (I'm not complaining) with Euro students who come for seasonal employment. :thumbsup: Believe me when I say it makes for great "sight seeing". :shok:

ps Yes, some of the local clubs here run a Euro night as well. :w00t:

What is Premier's capacity? Is it larger than Norva, and do both venues do turn-away business?

And what about Jillians and other spots at Waterside? Are they popular?

Reading this thread, it sounds to me Norfolk's nightlife outstrips Richmond's with its body-painted models and searchlights. :lol:

What is Premier's capacity? Is it larger than Norva, and do both venues do turn-away business?

And what about Jillians and other spots at Waterside? Are they popular?

Reading this thread, it sounds to me Norfolk's nightlife outstrips Richmond's with its body-painted models and searchlights. :lol:

They're about the same size. Premiere applied for higher capacity and was initially turned down because Norfolk was afraid (justifiably it would seem) that the crowds for such a club could be overwhelming at times. I think they compromised to 600 but on the night in question they had exceeded 800 and could definately have fit 1000 if the firemarshall hadn't threatened to shut them down. The Norva really doesn't cater to the clientele that Premiere does though they tried many years ago. Premiere is mostly a dance/techno club like you'd see in places like DC, Miami, etc. It is definately not the norm for Norfolk which is why I think it surprised so many people when the club did well. It's now one of the most popular night spots on Granby. I guess the more the city grows the more attitudes towards nightlife change and you get a more diverse and eclectic mix of offerings. Everyone wins when this happens. :)

edit:The Norva mostly does shows now for various bands and groups. These shows often sell out. As far as waterside, its still as popular as ever. This is not a case of one popular night spot robbing guests from others, its more the nightlife options expanding to meet the demand that currently exists.

Neat, vdogg. Great pics of Premier (is it also called Granby Theater?). It really looks like a swinging and very attractive place with gorgeous people. :yahoo: Wonder if they let old folks in just to watch? :lol:

Are there any pictures of Norva?

• 4 months later...

You can also visit their myspace, not that i have the link handy, but it's on their site as well. opening in february, accepting applications for employment now. I liked premiere before it got uber-trendy, now it's not even worth the hassle. This place, i'm on the fence, could be something, could be a disaster. The pics of the place on their myspace leave alot to be desired (they magnify having an elevator, when it can maybe hold 5-8 people. How's that gonna work on a Friday night?)

I agree on enough clubs. IMHO they should start focusing more on the retail aspect. While I am glad a B&N is being built (albeit a smallish one) there needs to be other things to do besides eat and club on Granby. Also, clubs only draw crowds at night and retail can draw folks out a lot more hours of the day which means more ped traffic overall for the area.

Archived