Norfolk Nightlife

soloextreme

Wow, this club looks pretty awesome I must say. I still think that, given the crowds of people milling about when clubs open, there is much more room for additional clubs to open up in the Norfolk market. But I agree vdogg--- closing at 2 is ludicrous... I went out on Saturday and saw a bunch of totally s**tfaced people that were thrown out of the club and proceeded to get into cars. If the clubs stayed open later, I doubt people would leave just because the bar closed.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think clubs in NYCity are still open 'til 4am. I'm too old to check them out personally, though I closed many a bar in my young days. :lol:

Until quite recently, you could not buy a drink in NY on Sundays until 12Noon. Wreaked havoc with Sunday Brunch spots, but the law was changed not long ago.

Re: the 50/50 situation, I don't know how clubs and bars can legally claim it doesn't hurt them. No big, swinging club sells as much food of any kind to balance bar sales. They cook the books to get around this situation, IMO. And that means trouble down the road with ABC inspecctors.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe communities can petition the ABC board to extend drinking hours. At one time, Richmond thought seriously of asking for a 3am closing in the Shockoe Bottom area only. I don't think it went beyond the discussion stage, however.

Honestly no. The new clubs opening have been serving mostly the electronic music scene. Before Premiere opening there were zero clubs that catered to this in HR, mostly because they didn't think there was a market for it. After Premiere opened they realized that there was actually a relatively large market for this kind of club in HR and thus, as always, you have other people following suit. I'm not worried because the addition of these clubs makes Granby a far more diverse and "true" entertainment district (as well as a central entertainment focus for all of HR). Not everyone wants to drink beer to top 40 all of the time.

I know you guys have been focused on European/Club style spots but one place that is doing excellent is Club Reign. This is the spot that used to be Alice Mays. They switched from soul food to upscale. It appeals to an upper class urban crowd, kind of like many NY lounges. Saturdays are unbelievable and the cover is $20. It actually hits capacity every Saturday. DJ Bee from 103 Jamz is the DJ that night too.

I don't mind the 50/50 food beverage requirement because I think it's actually one of the few sane policies in force right now. I do mind the 2 AM closing times however, I believe they are nothing short of idiotic. People will not sober up in the 15 mins it takes from when the bar actually shuts down to when the club lets out. In D.C. the clubs used to close at 4 and sometimes 6. Thats 2-4 extra hours of which partrons are more than happy to actually spend inside a club rather than on the streets driving. To me it's a no brainer.

What any thriving club district needs is a good 24-hour diner. When you get out of the club you're often either (A) hungry because it's been hours since dinner and you've been dancing or whatev, (B) you need a cup of coffee to help sober up a bit, ( C) you want to see if the guy or girl you picked up at the club looks OK in a more well-lit place (cuts down on "buyer's remorse"), or (D) you just want to chillax b/c you're not ready to go home yet.

Has one of these opened up on or near Granby yet?

What any thriving club district needs is a good 24-hour diner. When you get out of the club you're often either (A) hungry because it's been hours since dinner and you've been dancing or whatev, (B) you need a cup of coffee to help sober up a bit, ( C) you want to see if the guy or girl you picked up at the club looks OK in a more well-lit place (cuts down on "buyer's remorse"), or (D) you just want to chillax b/c you're not ready to go home yet.

Has one of these opened up on or near Granby yet?

That's exactly what Granby needs and I don't mean another IHOP. Even though I go straight home (and I do not pass go), it would be nice to have the option to go somewhere after the club if I really wanted to. The only time I've ever gone to IHOP or the waffle house that late is when I'm in Richmond and I did not plan on staying the night.

• 4 weeks later...

A moving target

IF THE CIT CITY Y OF NORFOLK has a roadmap for the continued revitalization of downtown, must be dotted by mini Post-it notes scrawled with the words "proceed with caution."

Two weeks ago, City Council approved a measure put forth by the Planning Commission to establish a double standard for the occupancy rates at the recently renovated Granby Theater. When the theater functions as Premiere nightclub on Friday and Saturday nights, its maximum occupancy

• 2 months later...

Shooting at club Premiere

This crap p**ses me off. Premiere is probably the best nightclub we've ever had downtown and I attend that place religiously. If they get shut down because some idiot on an off night decides to bring a gun in and shoot the place up I will be extremely upset. This is not Picaso's. How did that even happen? That not only puts a blemish on the club but on the entire downtown scene. That club brings an extreme amount of business to downtown Norfolk and I would really hate to see something happen to them. They are not a nuisance club and anyone who has ever attended on a weekend knows that they do not typically have the type of clientele that would like to "shoot a place up". It's an upscale club for the love of God.

After watching Mr. Burfoots speech I was infuriated so I sent him an email. I think he is trying to get this club shut down to make an example out of it and it's a shame. The following is a draft of the email I sent. I probably could have worded it better but I was typing angry. :lol:

Attn. Anthony L. Burfoot:

Sir, let me start off by first informing you that I really sat the fence about emailing you this afternoon. As a Virginia Beach resident, I am fully aware that my words will not carry as much weight with you as one of your own constituents. As a young a professional black male who attends premiere on weekends religiously, and spends much of my hard earned money doing so, I feel you should probably take heed. Lets first start with what Premiere is not. Premiere is not Picassos'. You will not see row upon row of thugs, dressed in baggy jeans and gold chains, hopping around the club to hip hop music as you so indicated in your speech this afternoon. On a typical Friday night you will see many young people, black and white, whom are well dressed and enjoying electronic dance music. It is important for me to make this distinction because this is really the only place in the Hampton Roads area where we can do so. I myself stopped going to clubs because all they consisted of was either rap, rock, or hip hop which was none of the music that appealed to me. Then premiere came along. I'd say on an average night I spend 60-100 dollars on food and drink and perhaps visiting the movies before the club opens. Multiply that by upwards of 4-600 people a night and you can understand the positive economic impact that this club has. Sir, I say this in utmost seriousness. If it is your intention to set out on a witch-hunt to close down the Granby theater I will make a point to spend no more time or money in downtown Norfolk. I can assure that many other patrons and their friends will follow suit. There is a problem that needs to be addressed but it is not the Granby theater, it is the thug mentality in Norfolk. Another problem that needs to be addressed is how a convicted felon got a hold of a weapon in the first place. It is disturbing to me that a weapon did make it into the club. The security guard on duty should be fired. I however should not be punished nor should any of the young professionals who frequent this club for the actions of some random idiot who should've probably still been in jail in the first place. Punishing us is exactly what you would be doing if you shut this club down. I can tell you without a doubt that the dress codes on the weekends are strictly enforced, I cannot vouch for the weekdays however. Perhaps this is something you should bring up with the club owners. Work with the club, not against. I doubt my words will have any resonance with you but as a young professional black male I felt compelled to speak out.

What really sickens me about this whole event is that it just plays in to peoples stereotypes that downtown Norfolk is a dangerous place. Hopefully people are smart enough to view it as the isolated incident it truly is.

Archived