Norfolk Nightlife

soloextreme

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole thing sounds very fishy to me. It seems almost as if that the closure and the clamp-down must have been in the works and they were just waiting for something to happen. Norfolk does have a designated nightlife zone that can accommodate an occasionally rowdy party: it's called Waterside. My guess is that they (the City) would like to see things centralized there, and reserve Granby Street for smaller clubs, restaurants and more upscale establishments that would complement the Ghent, Freemason amd downtown neighborhoods. I'd also venture to guess that they couldn't resist having the Granby Theater restored, so they went against their instincts and allowed a large nightclub, hoping for the best. It's a real shame to close that facility; some decent security would take care of the problems.

Make no mistake, I don't believe people like Waterside at all. A few years ago, when I took a new job one of my coworkers was away at a murder trial that started there in Jillians and ended up in a drive by shooting a block or two over. There used to be a boat + light parade to support waterside or something, and they yanked support for Waterside. Old people don't like partying kids... Well maybe some freaky ones do.

As far as hiphop, yea the clipse is a violent rap group. Not sure why anyone is surprised.

The real deal though, is NERDCORE hiphop! Check it out on youtube.

Make no mistake, I don't believe people like Waterside at all. A few years ago, when I took a new job one of my coworkers was away at a murder trial that started there in Jillians and ended up in a drive by shooting a block or two over. There used to be a boat + light parade to support waterside or something, and they yanked support for Waterside. Old people don't like partying kids... Well maybe some freaky ones do.

As far as hiphop, yea the clipse is a violent rap group. Not sure why anyone is surprised.

The real deal though, is NERDCORE hiphop! Check it out on youtube.

Has this incident caused any ripples at NorVa? I gather the two theaters attract completely different crowds and that NorVa is not a dance club.

There was a murder outside the Richmond Coliseum about a decade ago and as a result, hip-hop was banned there until just recently. In the long run, the saturation media coverage of the killing quieted down and business downtown was not appreciably damaged.

On the other hand, there was a shooting at a dance club called the Matrix Room (formerly Caffein's) in downtown Richmond about a month ago. No one was killed, or even hurt, but the club is now history. Two huge concert venues, Toad's Place and The National are preparing to open between June and September. I bet they are keeping informed of The Granby's travails and will be extra careful about rentals and bookings.

Here's wishing the Granby Theater/Premier reopens soon.

Has this incident caused any ripples at NorVa? I gather the two theaters attract completely different crowds and that NorVa is not a dance club.

There was a murder outside the Richmond Coliseum about a decade ago and as a result, hip-hop was banned there until just recently. In the long run, the saturation media coverage of the killing quieted down and business downtown was not appreciably damaged.

On the other hand, there was a shooting at a dance club called the Matrix Room (formerly Caffein's) in downtown Richmond about a month ago. No one was killed, or even hurt, but the club is now history. Two huge concert venues, Toad's Place and The National are preparing to open between June and September. I bet they are keeping informed of The Granby's travails and will be extra careful about rentals and bookings.

Here's wishing the Granby Theater/Premier reopens soon.

:lol: Haha. This one is too funny not to post

Growing up isn't easy (do you hear me Norfolk?)

Given how quickly Norfolk officials close down nightspots popular with the active-lifestyle people the city claims to be courting, maybe 'Life Celebrated Daily' was a bit too much of a slogan for us to sustain.

Perhaps we should go back to our old one: A discount buffet coupon in every mailbox.

The biggest issue from a business perspective was Granby Theater's liquor license exemption. In the most recent article, Fraim said it had been revoked, and couldn't think of a circumstance that would involve it being returned. Bars are required to have at least a 50/50 split per ABC with food and alcohol sales, and if you remember, Granby had no food. After the shooting, the city revoked the exemption. So even if Granby Theather opens back up, or has a new owner, anything, you guys are gonna be clubbing drinking Coke and Snapple. :alc: I don't see it happening...

One of my nephews designed and installed the sprinkler system in The Granby Theatre. He showed me the schematics of the building's interior and tried to explain the layout. I gather that there isn't really a balcony, but a steeply sloped floor with levels of risers. I think bars and restrooms are under them.

One of my nephews designed and installed the sprinkler system in The Granby Theatre. He showed me the schematics of the building's interior and tried to explain the layout. I gather that there isn't really a balcony, but a steeply sloped floor with levels of risers. I think bars and restrooms are under them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived