The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

On December 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM, vicupstate said:

High Cotton is being closing Jan 4 and reopening Jan. 22 as Halls Chophouse on Jan. 22

Interesting move, but one I feel is needed. I always enjoyed High Cotton in the past, both in Charleston and Greenville, but last time I ate at High Cotton in Greenville (about 1 year ago) I was disappointed. The food and service weren't as good as they once were. I have been to Halls Chophouse in Charleston and consider it the best restaurant in Charleston. It is definitely a step up in terms of quality compared to High Cotton, and the location and interior at RiverPlace will be perfect for Halls. This is definitely a net win.

Downtown stores were PACKED this weekend.  Brooks Brothers, Mast General Store, etc. were all mobbed!

One issue that I have with downtown is that the sidewalks, trees, outdoor dining, etc. were all set up when foot traffic downtown was far less than it is now.  Now that downtown is such a destination, it's difficult to walk at a decent pace, since there are swarms of people up and down Main.

I'd guess that there's nothing that can be done about it other than to perhaps reduce the restaurants' outdoor areas along Main, though.

And couldn't something be done about the loud motorcycles along Main?  They definitely detract from the nice ambiance.

• Like 1

On December 11, 2015 at 4:20 PM, greenjoesc said:

217 North Main Street property is being listed.  Anybody know if Blue Ridge Brewing is relocating in downtown??  I know they have or were talking about opening a location in Greer.

Yes, they are moving to Greer, in the old Cazbah location.

On 12/16/2015 at 7:04 PM, Galley said:

Yes, they are moving to Greer, in the old Cazbah location.

In Greer they have acquired sufficient space, in two adjacent properties, to have a bottling plant in addition to the brew pub. However, they are also expected to announced a new location in downtown Greenville before the end of the year

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that the Charleston Cooks owner is retiring.  Why don't owners sell their stores instead of just closing them, unless they aren't performing well?

I've never been into Charleston Cooks but it must have done fine in order to become a chain, and it has a great location and good reviews, so there must be something there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mallguy said:

I see that the Charleston Cooks owner is retiring.  Why don't owners sell their stores instead of just closing them, unless they aren't performing well?

I've never been into Charleston Cooks but it must have done fine in order to become a chain, and it has a great location and good reviews, so there must be something there.

I was wondering the same myself.  I hope the space stays retail at least. 

I was thinking that the first block of South Main (immediately south of Brooks Brothers, down to McBee) hasn't really seen the influx of higher-end stores that the rest of downtown has; it's more like downtown was in 1992.  I wonder if higher rents will result in changes there (in addition to one or two restaurants closing lately), or if the buildings on that block are too old for national chain retailers (which seem to go to new spaces downtown, not old ones)?

On March 27, 2016 at 10:49 PM, btoy said:

Rental rates have almost doubled over last two years, there are going to be tenants that just can't afford to renew.

I know the popularity of downtown has increased somewhat over the past two years but to warrant a doubling of rent rates is truly baffling and shocking to me. O o 

Edited by gman430

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

I know the popularity of downtown has increased somewhat over the past two years but to warrant a doubling of rent rates is truly baffling and shocking to me. O o 

I believe the city feels the same way, but that is how the market works. It will readjust. Hopefully it won't take too many businesses leaving in the meantime. 

The addition some more retail units should also help. 

Edited by ausrutherford

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

Often the lease terms are 5 or more years and in that amount of time, the market can change quite a bit. It may be that the number of leases coming up right now is coincidentally high right now.