The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Ink and Ivey first look

Looking forward to this opening up and also the diner across the street. 

Can't help but remember all the angst on here about the city doing the Brown Street work, yet this building and other building at the corner of E. North and Brown are now getting total renovations  It was clearly a great idea that didn't cost that must to begin with. 

I don't know how true this is but I have heard that the city has been pretty direct with the owners of Sharky's, City Tavern, Rey's and On The Rocks that if they don't change their business model they will be targeted with sled and things like that because the city does not feel they fit the mold anymore. I feel bad for them. It's like the city used them to get everybody coming down there and have it be a fun place and the minute they don't need them anymore they want to throw them away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

And the the number of empty spaces on northern part of Main Street continues to grow. Sad: 

-The two spaces next to Pure on Main are empty.

-Chocolate Moose has now opened their new location inside M. Judson. Their old space is for lease. 

-Sales have started at Charleston Cooks.

The city needs to take action like they're doing with affordable housing before this continues to get worse. On the flip side though, Main Street south of McBee and Augusta Road seem to be doing really well. No new empty spaces in those areas and the current ones seem to be getting filled.

Edited by gman430

43 minutes ago, btoy said:

City doesn't need to get involved here, there are way to many tenants look for spaces on that end of town to be concerned.

That's good to hear there are lots of tenants looking at the spaces. :) Hopefully they sign leases and the problem corrects itself without government intervention. 

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

And the the number of empty spaces on northern part of Main Street continues to grow. Sad: 

-The two spaces next to Pure on Main are empty.

-Chocolate Moose has now opened their new location inside M. Judson. Their old space is for lease. 

-Sales have started at Charleston Cooks.

The city needs to take action like they're doing with affordable housing before this continues to get worse. On the flip side though, Main Street south of McBee and Augusta Road seem to be doing really well. No new empty spaces in those areas and the current ones seem to be getting filled.

Like how- requiring landlords to rent spaces at below-market rents to mom & pop retailers, perhaps? Those are all very good locations and are likely having turnover in part because rents are rising so much, which indicates a lot of demand.  I have confidence that private-sector landlords and private-sector tenants will be able to handle filling retail spaces in good locations much better than government bureaucrats can.

Yeah the reason those spaces are empty is because they can command higher rent. I can't say where but I know of a location that closed and immediately there was ridiculous demand to rent it and they weren't even looking to rent. People came to them. I'm getting random strangers coming to ask me to sell my houses and I'm in no way interested in selling but they won't stop. That's just the kind of demand that's down there right now and the market will dictate prices. Quite frankly I don't really have any use for green and pink clothing boutiques and all that other weird stuff. I'm looking forward to things moving in that people really want that can pay the rent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I don't think all of these closings are a bad thing. With the exception of Charleston Cooks, I wouldn't say any of the other retailers/restaurants were huge additions to Main. In my option, this side of Main is about to see some serious and needed upgrades.

In regards to the two locations next to Pure on Main… the developer of that building who recently remodeled all of the apartments above is planning to upgrade the retail portion as well. They are planning streetscaping to mimic the Hyatt plaza across the street. 

• 3 weeks later...