The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

1 hour ago, SVL said:

The good news is that the space has already sold. I guess the Breakwater owners got an offer they couldn't refuse. 

Lots of new restaurants opening or coming downtown including one for the old 21 East space, Dixies Tavern space, Husk, Famous Toastery, Diner 24, Crepe du Jour, Tropical Grille, Blue Ridge, Basil, Terrace,  etc. Don't let two closings make you think the foodie scene downtown is slipping.

Edited by gman430

Agree we are continuing to get new restaurants but I don't think any of the new ones are really raising the bar, with the exception of Husk. You go to Charleston, for instance, and you could stumble into a restaurant that would blow your socks off by accident. I eat out downtown often and haven't been blown away in a while. Lots on inconsistency and most of the food really isn't that 'crave-able' --- Obviously this is just my opinion.

I hope Greenville gets some restaurants that raise the bar. We have some good potential... it just seems like they need someone to force them to be better and more creative.

1 hour ago, Gville2012 said:

Agree we are continuing to get new restaurants but I don't think any of the new ones are really raising the bar, with the exception of Husk. You go to Charleston, for instance, and you could stumble into a restaurant that would blow your socks off by accident. I eat out downtown often and haven't been blown away in a while. Lots on inconsistency and most of the food really isn't that 'crave-able' --- Obviously this is just my opinion.

I hope Greenville gets some restaurants that raise the bar. We have some good potential... it just seems like they need someone to force them to be better and more creative.

I don't think we will ever get on the same level as Charleston. That is a whole different animal in itself. Have you tried Jianna yet? I loved it. :) Really nice restaurant and some of the best spaghetti I have ever eaten. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

H&M is opening a 27,000 sf location in downtown Nashville.

Sounds like a feasible store for downtown Greenville, right?

The biggest problem would be finding a retail spot downtown that large. I could see them locating at Camperdown. 

The movie theater at camperdown would have been a total mess. There's no way for traffic to get in and out of there easily. I think it would work at the county development though because you have major roads coming in and out to it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Falls Place Retail spaces

Two Retail spaces being added facing the Park

Strange that this wasn't done before now.  

I've always wondered why this had not been done before. Did the office tenant on that level leave? If possible, I'd love to see a restaurant with outdoor dining take one of these spaces.

From the owner of Grill Marks and Larkin's, Limoncello to take over the former Playwright spot: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/off-the-menu/2017/07/21/italian-concept-take-over-former-playwright-restaurant-spot-downtown-greenville/501001001/

Yep...the restaurant industry downtown is doing terrible alright. :rolleyes: Oh and Famous Toastery opened today also. 

Edited by gman430

14 hours ago, gman430 said:

From the owner of Grill Marks and Larkin's, Limoncello to take over the former Playwright spot: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/entertainment/dining/off-the-menu/2017/07/21/italian-concept-take-over-former-playwright-restaurant-spot-downtown-greenville/501001001/

Yep...the restaurant industry downtown is doing terrible alright. :rolleyes: Oh and Famous Toastery opened today also. 

That's nice to hear! I love that location off the beaten path. Not to mention the scenery around it. I think Hughes would be wise to reimagine that plaza with more shade. I wish them luck!

Thought I would give a plug to Diner 24.

You won't leave hungry, the highest priced entree is 10.95 with most under $10.. Everything I have had there has been good with the Lasagna (Thursday only 4-10pm) and Chicken Fried Chicken being my favorites. Pancakes are huge and delicious. 

• Like 2

I've known about the Tapas place for about a month-and-a-half but because it wasn't public I didn't want to talk about it to respect a friend of mine. There's an interesting story behind the people opening this and why. One thing I'm aware of is there going to have a really unique set up for the bar on the lower floor.

I guess they're going to keep the second floor similar to what was there before which was almost like a little nightclub in the evenings. I think with the hotel opening down the street it should do okay but I know 21 East required a lot of promotion and effort to make work and if the right combination was not there it didn't work because of the location.

• 2 weeks later...