The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

-What’s going inside the old American Grocery restaurant downtown?

-It looks like the old restaurant space between Dark Corner and the new crepe place has been leased.

-Wu’s is now open in the former Green Room space.

-Oakbkue Kitchen is officially closed and now for lease. 

Edited by gman430

Bellacino’s to close downtown.  Lots of restaurants closing downtown including Oakblue, Diner 24, Brazwell’s, American Grocery, Breakwater, etc. 

However, there are others opening including Husk, Maple Biscuit, Famous Toastery, Otto Izakaya, Limoncella, etc. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Bellacino’s to close downtown.  Lots of restaurants closing downtown including Oakblue, Diner 24, Brazwell’s, American Grocery, Breakwater, etc. 

However, there are others opening including Husk, Maple Biscuit, Famous Toastery, Otto Izakaya, Limoncella, etc. 

I’m sad that Bellacinos is closing. Dang. My wife and I were counting down the days for Oakblue Kitchen to close. I told my friends “at least they renovated for the next tenant.”

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

Is Diner 24 permanent?  Was hoping they'd change management and continue....that's a good location to be wasted.

Edited by cabelagent

18 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

I’m sad that Bellacinos is closing. Dang. My wife and I were counting down the days for Oakblue Kitchen to close. I told my friends “at least they renovated for the next tenant.”

We are sad too. Breaks my heart to see any business have to close. We were one of those couples that made Bellacino’s a destination restaurant. I guess we will be driving to Easley for our grinder fix. I love the veggie grinder. 

8 hours ago, gman said:

We are sad too. Breaks my heart to see any business have to close. We were one of those couples that made Bellacino’s a destination restaurant. I guess we will be driving to Easley for our grinder fix. I love the veggie grinder. 

The grinders were the best! I actually first tried them at the Easley location when I used to work out there. We need more good pizza and grinder places downtown. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed that all of downtown's traditional jewelry stores have closed?  Even in the '80s and '90s, when downtown was dead, there were multiple ones, which seemed to do a good business.  Are there any new ones moving in?  The story in today's Greenville News about the clock on S. Main, and the photo of Hale's, made me wonder if perhaps it would return downtown.  Seems like an untapped market;  wouldn't the ladies shopping in all of the high-end clothing stores downtown need a jeweler?

4 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Has anyone else noticed that all of downtown's traditional jewelry stores have closed?  Even in the '80s and '90s, when downtown was dead, there were multiple ones, which seemed to do a good business.  Are there any new ones moving in?  The story in today's Greenville News about the clock on S. Main, and the photo of Hale's, made me wonder if perhaps it would return downtown.  Seems like an untapped market;  wouldn't the ladies shopping in all of the high-end clothing stores downtown need a jeweler?

Rents and competition from internet retailers. Not coming back anytime soon.

5 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

They can barely stay open even in malls. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to be  a pessimist here, but how has Greenville--and downtown in particular--survived the "retail apocalypse" so well?

Downtown department stores are closing in droves (with Indianapolis now losing one), yet Greenville has one that seems to do ton of business.

Apparel stores seem to be hard-hit, yet downtown has landed a slew of A-list national chains, and none have closed.

Even Staples, which isn't doing that well as a chain, is still there, despite numerous rounds of store closures nationally.

Are sales per square foot at Brooks Brothers and the other chains downtown THAT strong?  Or are retailers seeing Greenville's fast population growth and figure it's worth sticking around even if stores don't perform that well right now?

It also seems as though downtown is upscale to the east but downscale to the west.  I'd think retailers would want locations that are surrounded by affluence on all sides (like SouthPark in Charlotte).

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Not trying to be  a pessimist here, but how has Greenville--and downtown in particular--survived the "retail apocalypse" so well?

FOOT TRAFFIC! Staples is probably close to the end of their lease and on the way out. I work in an office in the area and I have been one whole time.