GvilleSC

The State of Downtown Retail

On 11/15/2017 at 7:00 PM, gman430 said:

Maple Street Biscuit Company now open downtown. 

Anyone tried it yet?  Wondering how they compare to Biscuit Head

Yes; it is comparable to Biscuit Head but a little more mainstream concerning both the food and the atmosphere. Still a quirky little biscuit place and was enjoyable. Will likely go back. 

• Like 1

-What’s going inside the old American Grocery restaurant downtown?

-It looks like the old restaurant space between Dark Corner and the new crepe place has been leased.

-Wu’s is now open in the former Green Room space.

-Oakbkue Kitchen is officially closed and now for lease. 

Edited by gman430

16 hours ago, apaladin said:

4 cranes up in downtown Greenville now.  Gman how about some pics? Appreciate it!

Hopefully this weekend. 

• Like 2

Bellacino’s to close downtown.  Lots of restaurants closing downtown including Oakblue, Diner 24, Brazwell’s, American Grocery, Breakwater, etc. 

However, there are others opening including Husk, Maple Biscuit, Famous Toastery, Otto Izakaya, Limoncella, etc. 

Edited by gman430

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Bellacino’s to close downtown.  Lots of restaurants closing downtown including Oakblue, Diner 24, Brazwell’s, American Grocery, Breakwater, etc. 

However, there are others opening including Husk, Maple Biscuit, Famous Toastery, Otto Izakaya, Limoncella, etc. 

I’m sad that Bellacinos is closing. Dang. My wife and I were counting down the days for Oakblue Kitchen to close. I told my friends “at least they renovated for the next tenant.”

Encore which is a late night dessert bar from the owners of On the Roxx for former American Grocery space. 

Edited by gman430

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

Is Diner 24 permanent?  Was hoping they'd change management and continue....that's a good location to be wasted.

Edited by cabelagent

18 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

I’m sad that Bellacinos is closing. Dang. My wife and I were counting down the days for Oakblue Kitchen to close. I told my friends “at least they renovated for the next tenant.”

We are sad too. Breaks my heart to see any business have to close. We were one of those couples that made Bellacino’s a destination restaurant. I guess we will be driving to Easley for our grinder fix. I love the veggie grinder. 

8 hours ago, gman said:

We are sad too. Breaks my heart to see any business have to close. We were one of those couples that made Bellacino’s a destination restaurant. I guess we will be driving to Easley for our grinder fix. I love the veggie grinder. 

The grinders were the best! I actually first tried them at the Easley location when I used to work out there. We need more good pizza and grinder places downtown. 

Has anyone else noticed that all of downtown's traditional jewelry stores have closed?  Even in the '80s and '90s, when downtown was dead, there were multiple ones, which seemed to do a good business.  Are there any new ones moving in?  The story in today's Greenville News about the clock on S. Main, and the photo of Hale's, made me wonder if perhaps it would return downtown.  Seems like an untapped market;  wouldn't the ladies shopping in all of the high-end clothing stores downtown need a jeweler?

4 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Has anyone else noticed that all of downtown's traditional jewelry stores have closed?  Even in the '80s and '90s, when downtown was dead, there were multiple ones, which seemed to do a good business.  Are there any new ones moving in?  The story in today's Greenville News about the clock on S. Main, and the photo of Hale's, made me wonder if perhaps it would return downtown.  Seems like an untapped market;  wouldn't the ladies shopping in all of the high-end clothing stores downtown need a jeweler?

Rents and competition from internet retailers. Not coming back anytime soon.

5 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

They can barely stay open even in malls.