The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

34 minutes ago, bikeoid said:

Great American Cookies coming to the former Pedal Chic space by the end of this month.

Isn't that the Atlanta-based chain that Every.Single.Mall. in the country has?

I guess that speaks well of downtown's foot traffic.

I would expect a TJ Maxx in the Staples space.  I have absolutely zero inside information and have seen nothing on point, but that would make sense to me.

17 hours ago, gman430 said:

Are they moving from where they’re currently located on Main Street? 

From what I heard is that this will be a second location and the current Marble Slab will remain. We are not hurting for ice cream shops. :D

1 minute ago, gman430 said:

Terrace has closed downtown. Well, that was quick. Yikes.

Wow. I guess I'm not surprised though, it was always empty when I went by.

11 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Terrace has closed downtown. Well, that was quick. Yikes.

Sorry to hear that - I thought they were among the best all-American/new-Southern menus.   But they weren't generally busy when I was there.   Just yesterday a local was directing visitors up the street to them, remarking that they only heard good things about them.

3 hours ago, bikeoid said:

Sorry to hear that - I thought they were among the best all-American/new-Southern menus.   But they weren't generally busy when I was there.   Just yesterday a local was directing visitors up the street to them, remarking that they only heard good things about them.

We are not surprised. How do you not know how to cook a pancake. #wack

6 hours ago, bikeoid said:

I never even got a chance to try it. Doesn’t sound like I missed much. 

3 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Sort of but do we need another drugstore?  The CVS seems to always have customers in it, but it's not packed.

I think one in the West End would do well. Hoping one comes soon somewhere. It’s nice to have a place you can grab allergy medicine, water, energy drinks while you are downtown but the CVS is so far removed from Falls Park and the West End. 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, johnpro318 said:

Is it weird that there still isn’t a Walgreens downtown yet? Am I the only one who has thought about this lol

I would think the Rite Aid/Save-a-Lot at N. Main and Stone will become a full fledged Walgreens soon now that the Rite Aid store ownership transfer to Walgreens is in progress.  One would think that's the one store left in the Greenville area they would want to keep since it's not close to another Walgreens.  Not sure how the Save-a-Lot and Rite Aid co-branded/ sub lease deal they experimented with here in the Greenville area will complicate things.  I talked to an employee there months ago and they seemed to think Save-a-Lot will get the boot as soon as Walgreens takes over the Rite Aid stores.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:53 PM, vistatiger said:

I would think the Rite Aid/Save-a-Lot at N. Main and Stone will become a full fledged Walgreens soon now that the Rite Aid store ownership transfer to Walgreens is in progress.  One would think that's the one store left in the Greenville area they would want to keep since it's not close to another Walgreens.  Not sure how the Save-a-Lot and Rite Aid co-branded/ sub lease deal they experimented with here in the Greenville area will complicate things.  I talked to an employee there months ago and they seemed to think Save-a-Lot will get the boot as soon as Walgreens takes over the Rite Aid stores.

I believe this is already in the works for the North Main Rite Aid, hearing from some local businesses in the area.

11 hours ago, Gville2012 said:

I believe this is already in the works for the North Main Rite Aid, hearing from some local businesses in the area.

Our company services Walgreens, Rite-Aids etc. The word we have is that any RA within a mile of a Walgreens will close. The ones with Sav-a-lots which are only in Greenville area will not change right away due to the contract with Sav-a lot.  

On 2/10/2018 at 6:49 AM, Upstatescre said:

Word was Duane Rade (Urban Walgreens) https://www.walgreens.com/topic/duane-reade/duane-reade.jsp was going into the bottom of Camperdown under the hotel (on sidewalk level, closer to park) 

Duane Reade is a New York City drugstore chain that was bought by Walgreens.  Walgreens seems to slowly be transitioning the brand over to Walgreens.  I'm not aware of any Duane Reades outside of NYC.  I'm not sure why Greenville would want a Duane Reade anyway; Greenville's customer base is not particularly like NYC's.

1 hour ago, Upstatescre said:

Its their urban concept

...in New York City.  Walgreens closed most of its Walgreens-branded stores in NYC and now left only Duane Reades.

Duane Reade doesn't exist outside of the metro NYC area.

There are few stores that are on my "do not shop" list, but Duane Reade is.  Nasty cashiers, inflated prices, etc.   If one came downtown, I wouldn't shop there.