The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I rather like the upstairs location, as it's a great lounge atmosphere.....a good place to hangout and chat with people. :thumbsup::thumbsup: O'Cha does have a very loyal following, it just needs a MORE of a loyal following.

I like the upstairs location as well, but I don't have much confidence in the general public to be observant enough to know it's there. :P

I rather like the upstairs location, as it's a great lounge atmosphere.....a good place to hangout and chat with people. :thumbsup::thumbsup: O'Cha does have a very loyal following, it just needs a MORE of a loyal following.

I like it too, especially now that my son is old enough to walk up the stairs on his own. We went in yesterday and the place was PACKED (mostly Delta Gamma sisters from Furman and high school kids that were out due to the holiday, but it was still busy). I just love sitting in the window and watching the pedestrians and cars go by down below.

One thing I noticed is that O-Cha does have a sign down on the sidewalk, but it's of the type of construction that would easily blow over, so it's turned flat against the building. They'd do better to put a heavier sign down there and put it out facing pedestrian traffic, IMHO. That might get them some more attention.

I thought one of my wife's favorite stores (Eden) had closed, too, but it looks like they're only remodeling and will be reopening on January 27th.

An ice rink at Piazzo Bergamo would help A LOT! Unfortunately it hasn't panned out. With the total make over of the West Washington/Richardson/Main/Piazza Bergamo block should help attract more people to the North Main area. It has potential for a neat space and an attraction of some sort (hopefully NOT just a carousel). This project should provide that draw and we'll see if it does just that.

And it is funny to think that pretty much ALL of our downtown construction over the last two years atleast have been entirely in the West End. It's healthy. Our originally revitalized section of Main won't lose its luster just yet. It's still the only portion of Main with a true continuous tree canopy. The matured trees will keep people coming and the businesses will stay where the people are. ;)

That is an interesting idea. I like it, but I wonder how it would stay frozen with the warm winters in SC. I heard that the Rockefeller Center ice rink in New York has had to close during the day because its been too warm.

Working on main st for the past 8 years I have noticed a huge downturn in the buzz that used to swirl around downtown over the past year.

I can speculate at the reasons but I have no evidence to back that speculation up.

For one thing, several of the shops that closed, closed because they were bad business ideas or were run poorley.

The two clothing stores were specific to a very select market and to be honest the product was just not what the people wanted. Bently's Books was a great store for browsing but I was never really sure how they made their money. So I dont see these store closings as indicitive of downtown Greenville. But, the palpable excitment that used to be in this place is not there at the moment and I attribute it to Greenvilles clamp down on entertainment and nightlife, not the lack of major retailers.

Lets face it, Downtown Greenville will never be a place you will come just to buy stuff you need. It will always be a destination location. You are either here to work or have fun and in my opinion the City of Greenville has been paying for to much attention to local condo owners and condo developers and far to little attention to the people that brought downtown Greenville to the dance.

Not allowing any new bars to open up, making them close earlier and earlier, and doing away with smoking in the city limits. These things drive away young people and the youth are the ones that bring a buzz. People might still come on a pretty sunday afternoon for the park or to eat a Rick Erwins, but trust me its the exitement and the buzz that they want and will bring them back. I have felt it all the time I have worked downtown and often been amazed that I never got tired of it or used to it and its absence echo's every time I walk out into the street from my office now.

Make no mistake, this is a serioiuse problem and it needs to be corrected quickly. Greenville needs an injection of energy and a dose of cool in a bad way but I dont see anything on the horizon that will bring that.

Bring back the fun and the retailers will come.

You have a lot of solid statements here. But I have to respctfully diagree with your statement that Downtown will never be a place you come to buy stuff you need. That is not entirely true. I think that over time, as more and more residents move downtown, you will see more of a demand for "regular needs" types of stores (drug stores, corner markets, etc.). People want these types of stores near their house. Some of this will depend on the success of the new Publix.

Has there ever been a drug store in the CBD or some other kind of store of this nature that is convenient to downtown workers? If I worked downtown it would be very convenient to be able to have this type of store nearby. If I went to lunch downtown it would be just as convenient. Just a thought.

I agree that Greenville needs more bars/nightlife places that can stay open late. Its rediculous to not do that. You need only look at any other succesful urban entertainment district in the region to see that. I hate to bring up Columbia, because its not a fair comparison as they have USC, but when I think about that city's nightscene, I think of tons of places to go out at night. I can't say the same for Greenville. That said, the many places Greenville has are excellent.... we just need more! The City needs to wake up to this fact of life. I like the idea of turning Stone St into more of a nighscene entertainment district. I would also suggest the West End too. It has a tighter street grid, and you can more easilty spread out in a non-linear fashion there.

Has there ever been a drug store in the CBD or some other kind of store of this nature that is convenient to downtown workers? If I worked downtown it would be very convenient to be able to have this type of store nearby. If I went to lunch downtown it would be just as convenient. Just a thought.

The lack of a drugstore puzzles me. If there is any kind of national retailer that would prosper downtown, a drugstore. By their nature, they are convenience-oriented. I know I routinely visit one of any five drugstores, depending on when the need arises. An accessible one downtown would easily steal most of those visits.

My hunch is that we get one sooner rather than later, especially after McBee Station gets up and running.

There used to be a Walgreen's or something on Main Street when I was a kid. There was also an Eckerd's at Bell Tower Mall (not considered part of the CBD back then).

The Woolworth's was also good for drugstore-type items before it closed in the early '90s.

Edited by mallguy

That is an interesting idea. I like it, but I wonder how it would stay frozen with the warm winters in SC. I heard that the Rockefeller Center ice rink in New York has had to close during the day because its been too warm.

Doesn't Atlanta have an outdoor rink? I'm not positive, but if one could survive there, Greenville should have no problem.

I think I might have not been really clear on what I meant by comeing downtown to get what you need.

I live over near Cherrydale, and I dont ever forsee myself driving downtown to do our grocery shopping, or to have the Oil Changed in the car or all the other things that surburbanites need to have done.

I do think a drug store downtown makes a lot of sense and I thought that a drugstore was making a push but was rebuffed by the city. How much truth there is in that i dont know.

There is an outdoor rink in Charlotte that is open for about two months - December and January.

And I still think that Shops at Greenridge are shutting down what's left of downtown retail.

An outdoor rink would only be needed for the winter months downtown, anyway, wouldn't it? If the city could take bids from someone for something to be included in Piazza Bergamo and ask that they design it to be used as an interactive fountain during the warm months and an ice rink during the cold months, that'd work out great.

If you think Greenridge is what's hurting downtown, then I don't want to see the impact that Magnolia Park Town Center would have.

Edited by RestedTraveler

Well, sadly, in spite of the large crowd at O-Cha yesterday, it appears that they're either going to sell or close. I was part of an e-mail blast that went out today from the owners:

After much thought and heartache we have decided that we have to try to sell O-CHA tea bar. If we cannot find a potential buyer in the next month then unfortunetly O-CHA will not be open for February. We have so many great customers and hate to see our dream die...but we simply arent making enough money to keep the doors open. We could use your help in two ways....1)ask everyone you know if they know anyone who would like to own an established tea/coffee shop/restaurant in downtown Greenville...2) come support us until we close to say goodbye, help us financially, and get some great deals on sale priced items near the end of January.

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS for keeping us in business for 1 1/2 years!!!

Mallie and Mike

An outdoor rink would only be needed for the winter months downtown, anyway, wouldn't it? If the city could take bids from someone for something to be included in Piazza Bergamo and ask that they design it to be used as an interactive fountain during the warm months and an ice rink during the cold months, that'd work out great.

If you think Greenridge is what's hurting downtown, then I don't want to see the impact that Magnolia Place would have.

Magnolia Place? Where's that at? :dontknow: I thought it was called something else. :lol:

Edited by g-man430

Well, sadly, in spite of the large crowd at O-Cha yesterday, it appears that they're either going to sell or close. I was part of an e-mail blast that went out today from the owners:

Perhaps a dedicated group of buyers can purchase O-Cha and improve upon the current business model. I have no doubt that such a tea bar can not only survive, but thrive.

If downtown is compared to elsewhere in Greenville, the picture isn't so bleak.

It seems as if downtown's overall retail base is increasing in size, if the West End and McBee Station are considered. Retail on Laurens Road seems to have shrunk over the past decade, despite a start at bouncing back and Pleasantburg Drive has lost a lot of retail space. Even Haywood has had some issues in strip centers, and Greenville Mall went bust.

I am. I wonder how much I can contribute on my yearly income of about negative $30,000 per year? :lol:

What? You didn't follow Izzy's (Grey's Anatomy) lead and pose half naked to pay your way through med school? :rofl:

Whoa did this new interface throw me for a loop. Now if I can just find the "Add Reply" button...

Ah ha! There it is!

I am. I wonder how much I can contribute on my yearly income of about negative $30,000 per year? :lol:

Follow my thinking here...

Tea is holistic, good for the internal organs......you'll be Dr.Greenville (the internist)......you buy the spot and set up your practice in the space with a healthy teabar in front. I'd say that's a win/win. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Medical retail....it's a trend! :)