The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Hopefully the two stores will complement one another.

Yes, "hopefully." However, one should not be misled by the Beef Jerkey Outlet name. The stores carry, in addition to beef jerkey, elk, vennison, buffalo, turkey, salmon and other types of jerkey, as well as sauces, rubs, marinades etc., similar to House of Jerky. That looks competitive to me. In addition, Beef Jerkey Outlet may benefit by its location in Magnolia Park not far from the new Cabela's store.

Yes, "hopefully." However, one should not be misled by the Beef Jerkey Outlet name. The stores carry, in addition to beef jerkey, elk, vennison, buffalo, turkey, salmon and other types of jerkey, as well as sauces, rubs, marinades etc., similar to House of Jerky. That looks competitive to me. In addition, Beef Jerkey Outlet may benefit by its location in Magnolia Park not far from the new Cabela's store.

That does sound more competitive than complementary. I'll check it out sometime during a Whole Foods Market / Trader Joe's / World Market / REI / Cabela's trip. (Eek! That area is collecting enough residential complexes, hotels, restaurants, and magnet retailers to seriously warrant a more effective mode of mass transportation.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How was Black Friday downtown?  Now that it has mall-type stores in it, I'd expect that it would attract more traffic than before.

(Sorry, my post above was in the wrong thread.)

I shopped downtown on Black Friday and Small Business Saturday.  Crowds were large both days.

The new Olive oil place at the Hyatt was slammed with people when I stopped by on Friday.

It is a GREAT addition to our downtown shopping scene! Seriously, the streetscape in Downtown Greenville feels more like a pleasant, open-air shopping mall each year. The atmposphere is much more charming than any indoor mall I've visited and better (overall) than most town centers I've experienced.

• Like 1

It is a GREAT addition to our downtown shopping scene! Seriously, the streetscape in Downtown Greenville feels more like a pleasant, open-air shopping mall each year. The atmposphere is much more charming than any indoor mall I've visited and better (overall) than most town centers I've experienced.

Agreed.  The crowd downtown is definitely more appealing than the crowd at Haywood, too.

• 1 month later...

This is fun to see! I wonder where the land or building is? I assume it would have to be near McBee Station (maybe next to American Roadside?), unless they were willing to go past Academy in the other direction. I hope they find their funding and make it happen.

It's the white building between American Roadside and Church Street bridge.

2012 Gross Sales figures from the city.  Includes City Limits only

Downtown: $1,182 mm

Woodruff Rd.: $712 mm

Haywood Rd.: $582mm

Fairforest Way/ Mauldin Rd.: $489 mm

Pendleton St.: $23 mm

Stone Ave. $60mm

Wade Hampton Blvd: $88mm

Rutherford Rd. :$14 mm

Pleasantburg : $433 mm

Laurens Rd South (motor Mile, etc.) $534 mm

Laurens Rd North $182 mm