The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

The new name is 'Koi' and the place looks great from the sidewalk.  Apparently the management and menu are new as well.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20140116/ENT/301160075/Koi-re-envisions-its-take-modern-sushi-restaurant - Excited to check it out. Looks like same great Red Fin with some new additions to make it that much better.

• 3 weeks later...

I went in Joe's Place yesterday. I was really disappointed. I understand that they are not fully open yet (they are not serving drinks yet), however it seems like they are only going to be selling used books? And, not just used, but musty old used books. Meh. I was hoping for a great place to pick up some best sellers and discover new and local authors. If beverages don't keep them in business, then they won't make it on books alone. The News article mentioned Paper skyscraper in CLT, but this doesn't remind me of that at all. I really want to like it, but I just can't from what I saw yesterday. I'll give then another shot in a month or so.

• 2 weeks later...

A new store Is opening or has opened in the old Nuvox space where Ten Thousand Villages set up shop during the holidays. Looked like children's clothes? With the temporary setups for this space, I can't help but think this will be a next phase for One or another new development.

Edited by GvilleSC

I do miss the great home made art that used to display in the shop front before it was renovated to the Nuvox Building.

Anyone know what is going to happen to the Salad Place that has been closed for Renovations for months now next to Ayers Leather?

The building is definitely in a holding/transition phase, but do you know that he plans a demolition, as opposed to renovating and re-configuring the existing building (which was renovated not that long ago).

He plans to demolish the building and build a mixed use development on site in the next few years. That's why you're seeing only temporary tenants moving in.

Hughes Development Corp. also owns the former Windstream Corp. building at 2 N. Main St., the red brick building across the street from Project One. Windstream announced earlier this year plans to consolidate its office space in downtown Greenville, vacating 88,000 square feet and moving into the Landmark Building at 301 N. Main St.

Hughes plans to lease some of the space while it defines a full-fledged redevelopment plan for the building.

“We’re in the process of figuring out the best use of that site long term,” Hughes said. “We view that site as the best redevelopment site in downtown Greenville.”

Source: https://www.gsabusiness.com/news/46561-hughes-development-buys-bank-of-america-building

Edited by gman430

Are you going strictly on the article, or other knowledge you have?  To me 'redevelopment' doesn't NECESSARILY mean a demolition would be involved.  I assumed a conversion of the first floor from office into retail (open floor plan, storefront glass, etc.)  would be considered a redevelopment as  well.     

Are you going strictly on the article, or other knowledge you have? To me 'redevelopment' doesn't NECESSARILY mean a demolition would be involved. I assumed a conversion of the first floor from office into retail (open floor plan, storefront glass, etc.) would be considered a redevelopment as well.

Both article and knowledge. Just remember who got the groundbreaking dates right. ;)

Not sure when, but Talloni Shoes/Plaza Suite has closed at Riverplace apparently. I didn't even notice. :/

Beija-Flor operated a nice temporary boutique shop there during the holidays. Apparently it was a success and they now operate a full service store on Augusta Street called Denim Salon.