The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Does anyone know what's up with "Koi"? Open for a week, then closes with a yellow VIOLATION card taped to the door, now signs are down. Doesn't look good...

There was people working in there this weekend (construction type), then Sunday night a couple of people crowded around laptop toward the front of the restaurant. I cannot imagine they would make the decision to switch directions only being open for a week or two after the facelift.

Considering the current building has had a for sale sign posted outside for several months, this isn't a surprise. The old building on East McBee Avenue would be a good fit, although The Film House seemed interested in that place.

Having them closer to Main St. would be great. Right now it is a destination spot, but being walking from Main would probably bring them increased traffic.

Considering the current building has had a for sale sign posted outside for several months, this isn't a surprise. The old building on East McBee Avenue would be a good fit, although The Film House seemed interested in that place.

Yep, you beat me to it. Knew it was going to happen, now we know when. Hopefully it will reopen in a better location.

It would be nice to get them in the Arts District. I agree, they need to use The Orange Peel as a benchmark for shows and venue setup.

I thought this would be a really cool idea too. This type of thing would fit the vibe and be an incredible shot in the arm for the arts district. Not sure if there's any worthy buildings over there or not? Ideally anywhere it goes, an adaptive reuse situation would be best.

Edited by GvilleSC

Bankruptcy by whom?  The Handlebar?  I would love to see something like the Orange Peel or Washington DC's 9:30 club open in the area.  With the population density downtown potentially on the rise with all of the housing planned or underway, maybe we will finally be hitting a tipping point where we can support it.  

Big fan of seeing things over in the West Village, I see this area is our mini-Athens.  This would be a great spot for a larger music venue.  Someone should open a Taco Boy over there and while they are at it, a hipster beer joint, a wine cafe, and some art stores with broader appeal and accessibility  (furniture, custom bakery, dresses, nick-knacks, etc.)

Bankruptcy by whom?  The Handlebar?  I would love to see something like the Orange Peel or Washington DC's 9:30 club open in the area.  With the population density downtown potentially on the rise with all of the housing planned or underway, maybe we will finally be hitting a tipping point where we can support it.  

Big fan of seeing things over in the West Village, I see this area is our mini-Athens.  This would be a great spot for a larger music venue.  Someone should open a Taco Boy over there and while they are at it, a hipster beer joint, a wine cafe, and some art stores with broader appeal and accessibility  (furniture, custom bakery, dresses, nick-knacks, etc.)

Yes, The Handlebar has filed bankruptcy.

http://m.wyff4.com/news/handlebar-moving-to-new-location/24869512

What Skyliner said.  With a title/name that long, I am bound to screw it up.  Maybe an acronym, TVOWG, hmmm, nope, sounds too much like TRAV for me.

What Skyliner said.  With a title/name that long, I am bound to screw it up.  Maybe an acronym, TVOWG, hmmm, nope, sounds too much like TRAV for me.

West Village or The Village are the best. Either of these nicknames will probably stick to this area in the future.