The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

M.Judson's banners are up on the historic former county courthouse. They add some life to the face of the beautiful old building. And, the DRB got it right to have them orient the banners perpendicular to the facade. 

They have a preview party July 26, I believe. I can't wait to have a great bookstore downtown!

• 2 weeks later...

The Miniature World of Trains has closed.

Miniature World of Trains closed and ceased operations as of July 4. On July 24 the owners announced a sell-off of assets on the site through August 1, the date on which MWOT must vacate. According to the web site, "The reason for the closing was not only the end of the lease term, but the lack of parking availability in the West End / Falls Park area of downtown Greenville." The web site also reports that "While the BETA project in downtown Greenville was a test location for us and was always scheduled to close at some point after our testing was over at the end of our lease in January 2015[, w]e still consider what was accomplished a great success!"

Meanwhile, the owners are seeking a new location. One potential venue has been identified, but it comes at a high cost that necessitates aggressive fundraising. For more information: http://www.miniatureworldoftrains.com

Edited by RiverWalker

Sad to hear about the Miniature World of Trains.  I certainly liked it.  It really should retool to be part of a "real" railroad museum.  Spartanburg has a "real" railroad museum, and there is another one on the way to Columbia that has real trains to ride.  Perhaps Greenville could get a "real" railroad museum with real railcars, and what results could be even better than expected.

Or maybe it could have a model train store attached to it?  Having $5 admissions as the only source of revenue, for all I could tell, perhaps was a tough business model.

Edited by mallguy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to check out M Judson Booksellers today. This place is awesome! Exactly what downtown Greenville needed on the retail/book scene. There's a local flair to the literature offerings to go along with the incredible setting of the historic courthouse. Those taking part seemed to be enjoying the cafe offerings. I made a purchase today, but I look forward to going back and staying a while. Welcome downtown, M Judson!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ayers has now vacated their space, but moved just a few steps down to 24 West North street, across from Rush Wilson.   Ayers' new space is decent for their retail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brazwells website already shows Greenville as a location. Must be coming soon.

http://www.brazwellspub.com/

I'm pretty sure that work is going on at the Corner Pocket spot right now, so that's interesting that this going in elsewhere. Both are pretty great spots in my opinion. It will be interesting to see what happens.

On 9/13/2015, 5:31:50, gman430 said:

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet: the Playwright is now open!!!!

So has anyone been to the The Playwright? The atmosphere and interior design are excellent but I have been disappointed with the food every time. They need to get it together soon!

Also does their main sign bother anyone else? The Y and W in PLAYWRIGHT were installed backwards... the weighted side of the font is to the right and it should be to the left. If you're a font-nerd or graphic designer this will drive you crazy every time you drive past it. 

Edited by olrob

20 hours ago, olrob said:

So has anyone been to the The Playwright? The atmosphere and interior design are excellent but I have been disappointed with the food every time. They need to get it together soon!

Also does their main sign bother anyone else? The A and Y in PLAYWRIGHT were installed backwards... the weighted side of the font is to the left and it should be to the right. If you're a font-nerd or graphic designer this will drive you crazy every time you drive past it. 

I've been there to eat once recently, and everyone at our table was also unimpressed with the food. My beef stew was so salty it was barely edible, and the service was really slow.  Also, eating at the tables outside it's apparent what a huge waste of space the front landscaped area is.  All the tables are shoved up against the front of the building, and the big grass area is left unoccupied.  It becomes a big pass through space, with no reason for anyone sit out in the middle.  It would be so much better with a bigger plaza in front of the building surrounded by some shade trees. Hopefully this will all be redesigned better if the next phase ever gets built.

• 2 weeks later...