The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

8 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

...in New York City.  Walgreens closed most of its Walgreens-branded stores in NYC and now left only Duane Reades.

Duane Reade doesn't exist outside of the metro NYC area.

There are few stores that are on my "do not shop" list, but Duane Reade is.  Nasty cashiers, inflated prices, etc.   If one came downtown, I wouldn't shop there.

Exactly. Walgreens hasn't announced any plans to make it their urban format or expand it outside of NYC.  Not going to happen. 

Don't forget Publix  on McBee  has pharmacy as well as the Harris Teeter coming to Stone with a drive-thru pickup. DT will hardly be lacking in a pharmaceutical way.

Edited by vistatiger

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a news article somewhere that stated that Blue Ridge is still moving forward and that construction was temporarily stopped due to design changes. 

Pedal Chic now open at the bottom of Flats at Riverplace along the river walk. 

Edited by gman430

Curious about the demographics of downtown visitors:

I recall seeing a study that showed the per capita incomes of shoppers at Greenville's malls (when it had more than 1).  Does something like that exist today, showing per capita incomes of Haywood Mall shoppers vs. downtown visitors?

I went to Haywood Mall on Saturday, in the mall between an entrance near Dillard's and all the way to JCPenney, and then downtown.

This might just be my anti-Haywood Mall bias, but people downtown seemed to be higher-income.  The mall was filled with people, but they weren't dressed particularly well and didn't seem like they were there to shop (as the store I went into was pretty empty).   It seemed like a "working class" crowd.  The stores in the Dillard's wing didn't seem that upscale, either, which I was surprised at because I've always considered Dillard's an upper-middle level department store.

Downtown had better-dressed people, more likely to have white-collar jobs.  The stores downtown (at least on N. Main) were nicer than at Haywood, too.

Maybe Haywood isn't becoming the next McAlister Square; instead, it's becoming the next Eastland Mall (see the Wikipedia entry about the mall in Charlotte that became gangland)?

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

On 3/11/2018 at 7:18 PM, PuppiesandKittens said:

Curious about the demographics of downtown visitors:

I recall seeing a study that showed the per capita incomes of shoppers at Greenville's malls (when it had more than 1).  Does something like that exist today, showing per capita incomes of Haywood Mall shoppers vs. downtown visitors?

I went to Haywood Mall on Saturday, in the mall between an entrance near Dillard's and all the way to JCPenney, and then downtown.

This might just be my anti-Haywood Mall bias, but people downtown seemed to be higher-income.  The mall was filled with people, but they weren't dressed particularly well and didn't seem like they were there to shop (as the store I went into was pretty empty).   It seemed like a "working class" crowd.  The stores in the Dillard's wing didn't seem that upscale, either, which I was surprised at because I've always considered Dillard's an upper-middle level department store.

Downtown had better-dressed people, more likely to have white-collar jobs.  The stores downtown (at least on N. Main) were nicer than at Haywood, too.

Maybe Haywood isn't becoming the next McAlister Square; instead, it's becoming the next Eastland Mall (see the Wikipedia entry about the mall in Charlotte that became gangland)?

All of a sudden a "working class crowd" is now Gangland USA. :rolleyes: Those Apple stores are well known for that...

I made the mistake of going to Haywood Mall also Saturday. It was very crowded and all stores had plenty of people shopping. Apple store was covered up! I then made a bigger mistake by going to Magnolia Park. Talk about a nightmare!! It took me 20+ minutes just to get out of the parking lot to Woodruff Rd. There were lines/gridlock any way you wanted to go. I finally had to go behind Costco and finally got out that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...