The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 10:10 PM, gman430 said:

There is now a Boardman Group sign up at the cleaners building at Falls and E. Broad Street. What restaurant is planned for the building again? I can’t seem to remember. 

Anyone? Anyways, the old Coldwell Banker Caine space next to the Main Street bridge is getting a new tenant. 

• 3 weeks later...

Belladina’s Pizzeria 

9 West Washington Street | Greenville (Formerly home to Mustard)

Grand Opening Date: Late spring/early summer 2020 

Pizza Oven: Rare, old school deck oven

Indoor + outdoor seating for ~70 people (+ a live edge wood window bar) with a focus on carry out + pizza by the slice  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

City Council is working on a proposal to open the Saturday Market on June 6th today.

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/6973?fileID=33636

MARKET MODIFICATIONS

Proposed Opening: Saturday, June 6 8 a.m. – noon (setup at 5:30 a.m.) Main Street from Court Street to Washington Street

Vendors: Maximum # of Vendors: 40 Court Street to McBee Avenue: Maximum of 18 vendors McBee Avenue to Washington Street: Maximum of 22 vendors

Attendees: Based off ratio guidelines in maintaining social distancing (5 people for every 1000 sq ft), we would limit attendance accordingly: • Maximum of two vendors per booth = 80 participants • General Public = 80 participants • City Staff (Events, GPD, GFD) = Approximately 15 • Maximum = 175 individuals in the site at any given time

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2020 at 9:02 PM, Galley said:

Funnelicious hung in for much longer than I expected.

That location right next to the children's theater seemed great for them.  Sorry to see them go, and I ate way too many calories' worth of fried everything there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

From Facebook: Off the Grid Greenville -

FOR SALE:
Our good friends, the Zags have put the iconic Greenville Army Store on the market. The 6,000 square foot property on the corner of 660 S. Main Street has an asking price of $1.29 million. *We think it's worth more $$$ - but I guess you can't put a price on our love for this place.

The Greenville Army Store (the preferred name by the owners) has been open since 1946 a family-owned and operated retail establishment. Link in bio to learn more about Jeff Zaglin and an inside peek to its unique place in our community.

If you'd like to buy a piece a history OR this prime retail space, please contact Avison Young associates below:

John Odom, senior associate, 864.448.0619, [email protected] or Rakan Draz, senior associate, 864.448.0625, [email protected]

I have mixed feelings - the store added some character to that location, regardless of whether the storefront is aesthetically perfect. 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:21 PM, apaladin said:

Sad!!! Been there all my life. Remember being thrilled going in there and buying those little green army men to play with. 

They will be relocating once building is sold:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2020/07/02/greenville-army-store-relocating-after-74-years-west-end/3284393001/

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 8:09 AM, gman430 said:

It's not listed on the list of 38 closed stores available at Business Insider, but that means either 13 or 51 more.

The Gaffney outlet and Asheville location closed.  Hopefully Brooks Brothers figures that keeping the Greenville location is now necessary because people from western NC and upstate SC will have it as the only store within range now.  Hopefully Brooks Brothers doesn't close it as part of pulling out of the whole upstate SC/western NC market.

I'd expect to see the Northlake Mall one in Charlotte gone, since that mall hasn't panned out as expected, but I don't see it on the closing list.

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 4:13 PM, Cityplanner said:

Well, the full closing list isn't out yet, so I wouldn't celebrate quite yet.

It is surprising how immune Greenville has been from the "retail apocalypse"; the only large loss I'm aware of is Sears, and it survived for a long time.  But we'll see.

Unfortunately I can think of a lot of things that have closed in Greenville  or in process including Kmart, ToysRUS, Pier One, Dress Barn,ACMoore, Gymboree, Crazy 8, Michael Kors, Coach, multiple restaurant chains.

Edited by vistatiger

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

Unfortunately I can think of a lot of things that have closed in Greenville  or in process including Kmart, ToysRUS, Pier One, Dress Barn,ACMoore, Gymboree, Crazy 8, Michael Kors, Coach, multiple restaurant chains.

Most of those chains went completely under though. Every city lost them. Has nothing to do with how good or bad the retail market is in this area. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

Most of those chains went completely under though. Every city lost them. Has nothing to do with how good or bad the retail market is in this area. 

Yes I know. They are still losses.  Add another retailer to list that may be  closing all stores.  I believe NY&C has a store at Haywood.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/07/13/new-york-co-store-closings-rtw-retailwinds-pandemic-bankruptcy/5427367002/

• 4 weeks later...

The final bidder for the Brooks Brothers chain is a venture backed by Simon (owner of Haywood Mall).

Uh, oh.  I'd think that Simon's goal would be to prop up Brooks Brothers stores that are in Simon malls, and move stores to Simon malls with vacancies.  I hope that the downtown store's lease can't be broken easily.

1 hour ago, Cityplanner said:

The final bidder for the Brooks Brothers chain is a venture backed by Simon (owner of Haywood Mall).

Uh, oh.  I'd think that Simon's goal would be to prop up Brooks Brothers stores that are in Simon malls, and move stores to Simon malls with vacancies.  I hope that the downtown store's lease can't be broken easily.

Don’t expect Brooks Brothers to leave downtown for the mall. Simon tried real hard to land them at Haywood but Hughes gave them a lease offer they couldn’t refuse. 

2 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

Agree bottom line BB is bankrupt . I read speculation  Simon would probably save and operate only 125 stores others could close. No doubt they are trying to spare vacancies in their shopping centers the way they did with Forever21.  Probably does not bode well at all for stores located in non-Simon locations. Guess we will see. 

Edited by vistatiger