The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Pink Azalea has closed. Everything else downtown from what I could tell minus the stuff I posted in the West End thread still looks open. A few downtown restaurants that were under construction but stopped due to the pandemic have resumed construction. 

It was actually really crowded today downtown too. Lots of foot traffic and the restaurants/retailers that were open looked packed. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

37 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Definitely unfortunate to have a street-level vacancy downtown, but that's a prime location and if I recall right, before becoming the Carolina Ale House, it was a furniture store that had survived downtown's bleak days in the '80s.  Isn't there a parking lot next to the building?  I wonder if someone would come in and just buy the building and the parking lot and redevelop it.

2 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

Definitely unfortunate to have a street-level vacancy downtown, but that's a prime location and if I recall right, before becoming the Carolina Ale House, it was a furniture store that had survived downtown's bleak days in the '80s.  Isn't there a parking lot next to the building?  I wonder if someone would come in and just buy the building and the parking lot and redevelop it.

The good news is that the Carolina Ale House is still open. 

1 minute ago, gman430 said:

I hate to see that -- they were a good restaurant, and fun place to grab a drink before a ball game. They were an early, and I suppose the longest lasting (edit -- forgot about Liberty Tap Room being at least the same vintage), pioneer around the ballpark. Hopefully they'll find a good replacement for that retail space. 

What kind of business do people think downtown lacks, but needs?

I’d like a Target and a department store.  
Ideally, a real higher-end department store that sells clothes and a range of pretty much everything else: imagine something like a Target but that has high-end clothes and a high-end range of day-to-day needs (does such a store exist anymore)?

And maybe a Lowe’s?

• 3 weeks later...

The Brooks Brothers flagship in Manhattan seems to be closing; the merchandise is gone and the store fixtures are all piled up on the ground floor.

Hopefully this isn't a repeat of Lord & Taylor's demise (the flagship closed, and then the rest of the chain) and hopefully the Greenville location will stay open.  It's such a beautiful store (the Greenville one, not the flagship) and seems to be busier than the flagship.

2 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

The Brooks Brothers flagship in Manhattan seems to be closing; the merchandise is gone and the store fixtures are all piled up on the ground floor.

Hopefully this isn't a repeat of Lord & Taylor's demise (the flagship closed, and then the rest of the chain) and hopefully the Greenville location will stay open.  It's such a beautiful store (the Greenville one, not the flagship) and seems to be busier than the flagship.

I think a joint venture with Simon acquired Brooks Brothers out of Bankruptcy. They probably didn't come to terms on the lease for that NY location. I guess it remains to be seen if they will keep the Greenville store where it is, move it to Haywood or leave Greenville all together.