The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

On 1/15/2021 at 8:09 PM, vistatiger said:

Onward would be a good replacement for Brooks Brothers space.

It is my understanding that Onward is considering a relocation of the Clemson store to Greenville. It is unclear right now if they would end up downtown or on Woodruff. Personally, I think downtown is a no-brainer, but we'll see if they do end up making the move and which location they choose... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

It is my understanding that Onward is considering a relocation of the Clemson store to Greenville. It is unclear right now if they would end up downtown or on Woodruff. Personally, I think downtown is a no-brainer, but we'll see if they do end up making the move and which location they choose... 

That's great news (for Greenville).  I looked on the store list for Onward Reserve and it looks like it does locate in urban areas so maybe downtown is a better fit for its target location. Hopefully.

I'm still hoping that Brooks Brothers comes back to life.  That was such a beautiful store and the employees gave such excellent customer service.  Much better than the NYC flagship, which also closed.

18 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

DT in the BB space and also seems like the Smith and James space at GreenRidge would be tailor made for them  when S&J relocates to Verdae. Probably wouldn't have to spend a lot of money to change up the interior much in either location.

Edited by vistatiger

3 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

DT in the BB space and also seems like the Smith and James space at GreenRidge would be tailor made for them  when S&J relocates to Verdae. Probably wouldn't have to spend a lot of money to change up the interior much in either location.

I'm used to their former DC location's vibe, as well as their Atlanta location at Ponce City Market where things are more rustic than either of those spaces. I think they'd be more on-brand to locate in an older storefront with exposed brick walls. Of course they've also located in new buildings and in strip malls (Charlotte) in the past -- I imagine those spaces take a lot more time and money (wood paneling, faux brick, etc) to bring on brand versus a ready-made historic space.

20 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I'm used to their former DC location's vibe, as well as their Atlanta location at Ponce City Market where things are more rustic than either of those spaces. I think they'd be more on-brand to locate in an older storefront with exposed brick walls. Of course they've also located in new buildings and in strip malls (Charlotte) in the past -- I imagine those spaces take a lot more time and money (wood paneling, faux brick, etc) to bring on brand versus a ready-made historic space.

The Ponce City Market location reminds me of the plaza level at Camperdown.  One of the spaces below the apartment or office buildings would be great.  They could keep it as industrial as they want with the build out and they would have built in foot traffic.  

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Never heard of Onward before. Sounds like a bad Disney movie. ;) 

I hadn't until recently, but it looks like a super-expensive version of Southern Tide or Harold's (sadly, RIP).  Seems like an ideal fit for the space. 

I hate it when stores close, particularly as the ones I like the most always seem to go out of business, but that's life, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

I am told that Brooks Brothers closed simply because its new owners refused to pay back rent.  Landlords that accepted that and waived back rent kept their stores.  Landlords that wanted back rent paid lost their stores.  Shame.

Smart, so they still didn’t get the back rent and no future rent. 

38 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

I remember reading that the City is actively marketing the Brooks Brothers space.

Probably be another women’s boutique or ice cream/cookie shop. Downtown needs a few more of both. :rolleyes:

Edited by gman430

The Brooks Brothers space is a prime retail space: at a corner in a new building on the main drag in town.  Hopefully a comparable tenant will be found.

And since malls have owners that own malls around the US and can leverage that market power to get tenants and keep them, hopefully downtown has something similar to be luring new stores.

If a Simon mall has a tenant that is going under, Simon just buys the tenant so it remains, and if a Simon mall needs a tenant, Simon can tell its tenants in other malls to locate in the mall that needs a tenant, or else.  Maybe downtowns around the US need a similar nationwide management company, with similar power?

47 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The Greenville Army & Navy store will be relocating to Laurens Road.

Good news. That corner deserves something more appealing to the eye. It's also good for a long time Greenville institution that has a loyal following. I hope business is good at the new location. 

• Like 2

Target just announced one of its small format stores is coming to King St. in Charleston. This concept would do well in downtown Greenville too. https://www.postandcourier.com/business/target-to-open-small-format-store-on-king-street-in-downtown-charleston/article_2938b66e-8dae-11eb-ac42-afc8e1704344.html

Edited by gman
  • Like 2