The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

17 hours ago, gman430 said:

Was there a threshold of % vaccinated or daily infection rates or unemployment numbers that was met to merit this or are we just winging it in between passing firing squad and concealed weapons bills?  I am not saying its a bad decision, I am also not saying its a good decision either,  I am just wondering was there a process for this or was it even planned (other than the oblivious "we switching things so one day we will switch it back?"  It probably is a good Idea but how would we know ?  Was there any research to show that this decision will solve the issue? How has the issue that we are trying to solve been defined (in a measurable way)?  How will the rate of success of implementing this be measured for effectiveness?  

Edited by gvegascple
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gvegascple said:

Was there a threshold of % vaccinated or daily infection rates or unemployment numbers that was met to merit this or are we just winging it in between passing firing squad and concealed weapons bills?  I am not saying its a bad decision, I am also not saying its a good decision either,  I am just wondering was there a process for this or was it even planned (other than the oblivious "we switching things so one day we will switch it back?"  It probably is a good Idea but how would we know ?  Was there any research to show that this decision will solve the issue? How has the issue that we are trying to solve been defined (in a measurable way)?  How will the rate of success of implementing this be measured for effectiveness?  

Montana is doing the same thing but paying a $1200 "Return to Work" bonus. Wonder what SC is doing with the extra federal money? Returning it?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/06/politics/montana-pandemic-unemployment-benefits/index.html

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

Montana is doing the same thing but paying a $1200 "Return to Work" bonus. Wonder what SC is doing with the extra federal money? Returning it?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/06/politics/montana-pandemic-unemployment-benefits/index.html

Didn't India do something similar? Declare victory with only half the population vaccinated and then act like there was no virus and open everything up.   Not that Montana, Florida, and Georgia aren't great role models to aspire to :blink: I just hope that we don't screw things up and fumble on the one yard line with this.

Edited by gvegascple

12 hours ago, gvegascple said:

I doubt it is based on % vaccinated or daily infection rates, but based more on the percentage who have had an opportunity to be vaccinated by now.   Waiting longer will result in progressively smaller increases.   On everything else - whether or not it's based on actual data, it's a good move politically.

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, gvegascple said:

This makes sense for the aforementioned people who would be faced with returning to work at reduced capacity restaurants making $2/hr.  They would be screwed.  Seems like we have to wait until enough people are vaccinated to allow for enough consumer confidence before things return to normal.  When its safe and everyone is back dining,  there should be plenty of new workers ready to take anyone's (good) jobs if those on unemployment want to keep sitting this out too long.  I am more than ready (and vaccinated) for this to happen and my 5G reception has never been better :shades:

Idk.  I work at a restaurant.  There is a viscous cycle of having more customers than our kitchen staff can handle, which leads to the kitchen staff becoming burnt out and quitting.  Which means that we have to limit our menu and lengthen wait times to avoid overwhelming the remaining kitchen staff.  Which leads to customers getting annoyed at waiting an hour to be seated at a restaurant with a ton of empty tables, to then find that half of the menu is unavailable.  Which means that the servers who were able to get that shift won't have as many tables to serve.  Which means that they don't have as many opportunities to make tips. 

Despite this, most of the better servers average $20-$30 per hour after tips, and the really good ones can make $60-$100 per hour on good nights.  This is just at a $$ restaurant btw.  When I worked at a $$$$ steakhouse a few years ago (pre-Covid), it wasn't uncommon for multiple servers to make four figures in one evening shift.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

http://greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/8671?fileID=44551

Flock Shop imminent?  Fantastic food, but the market is starting to get a little saturated between Rocky's and YeeHaw.  I love hot chicken though...

Edit: NM, this looks like a new Dim Sum restaurant called Sum Bar.   I wonder if it's still a Cribb's concept.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wing place now open in old Funnelicious space.

Ground floor of Carolina Ale House space leased.

Men’s clothing store for old Core space at ONE. 

More on Group Therapy at Camperdown:  https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/2021/09/16/group-therapy-pub-playground-slated-camperdown-downtown/8358480002/

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SVL said:

That's a bummer.  BBQ is a tough market to succeed in with how many options there are; especially with having an exclusively indoors dining area.

What’s the future of the Old Cigar Warehouse? Well, now we know. Coming soon to the Old Cigar Warehouse space is New Realm Brewing. The new craft brewery + restaurant will feature a 5-barrel brewhouse, scratch restaurant, biergarten, dedicated stage + outdoor bar. New Realm plans to open in the fall of 2022.

• Like 1