The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

4 hours ago, wellen said:

I believe it was Anderson Stamp and Engraving until the mid to late 90's when they moved to Stone Ave.  I think it was Friedman's jewelry store, originally.

I think you're right about Friedman's. And that wasn't the only building with metal panels. The NE corner of Main & McBee had them too (not blue; if that building is even still standing). There may have been a couple others.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like work is underway on the former Subway in the West End, Dark Corner Distillery, and 106 West Broad Street (Poinsett Corners) spots.

Polished Man now open at ONE: https://amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/6002777001

Comet Agency now open on Main Street: https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/new-to-the-street/comet-agency/

ARCPoint Labs going into old iStore space at ONE.

Wing place now open in old Funnelicious spot. 

Better Than Sex now open: https://www.wyff4.com/amp/article/better-than-sex-greenville-restaurant/37885782

Work continues to Holy Molli, Southern Tide, and iStore.

Edited by gman430

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Looks like work is underway on the former Subway in the West End, Dark Corner Distillery, and 106 West Broad Street (Poinsett Corners) spots.

Polished Man now open at ONE: https://amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/6002777001

Comet Agency now open on Main Street: https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/new-to-the-street/comet-agency/

ARCPoint Labs going into old iStore space at ONE.

Wing place now open in old Funnelicious spot. 

Better Than Sex now open: https://www.wyff4.com/amp/article/better-than-sex-greenville-restaurant/37885782

Work continues to Holy Molli, Southern Tide, and iStore.

No- Holy Molli is open. I went yesterday. A Polished Man has been open for months.  Work is also underway at the former Cook’s Station location on Augusta. 

Sweetberry Bowls has temporarily closed. Not sure why. Covid maybe? 

looks like something might be going in next to the Vault at the old Cochram Jewelers space. 

Work continues on Chase. 

21 hours ago, Horatio Nelson said:

Do we know what is going in the Augusta Cook's Station space?

Not yet. 

Edited by gman430

20 hours ago, gman430 said:

This stinks... my guess is partially due to decreased lunch crowd w. more people working from home vs in office still.  I always felt like it had potential and filled a nice void downtown, but it was never consistent and pretty pricey for what it was. 

3 hours ago, Gville2012 said:

This stinks... my guess is partially due to decreased lunch crowd w. more people working from home vs in office still.  I always felt like it had potential and filled a nice void downtown, but it was never consistent and pretty pricey for what it was. 

I went about three months ago on a random weekday. They were slammed with a large, consistent crowd for the duration of my stay. The problem was that it took WAY too long to get my food (a salad). Perhaps it was a staffing shortage, but it certainly prevented me from going back when I didn't have 90 minutes to devote to a lunch. Anyhow, I agree with your assessment.

I always thought they should have really played up the "market" aspect of their name (more like Reid's). The residential population density in a one block radius of their location could really have benefited from and supported such a concept, IMO. A market is probably the largest hole in the offerings of the West End. Foxcroft at least offers wines, though they are very expensive. A place to get provisions seems like a no-brainer based on the number of residential units nearby. 

Liberty, Husk, Snack Works, Rick’s, Army Navy Store, Subway, Cook’s Station…the fall out continues. And that’s just in the West End. The City of Greenville just sits back and acts like there’s not a problem. 

Edited by gman430

11 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Liberty, Husk, Snack Works, Rick’s, Army Navy Store, Subway, Cook’s Station…the fall out continues. And that’s just in the West End. The City of Greenville just sits back and acts like there’s not a problem. 

For the sake of drama, you provide no context. You'd think downtown were dying, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Don't be so lazy. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

All of those places you listed closed because they just weren't good businesses... Cook's Station relocated/upgraded their location so I wouldn't include that.

• Like 1

Why in the world downtown not have more fast casual restaurants like Chick Fil A, Chipotle, Qdoba, Noodles & Co., Panda Express, etc is absolutely baffling. The last thing downtown needs is more coffee, ice cream, and cookie shops. The city needs to take a good long hard look at GSP Airport to see how it’s done. 

Current or about to be empty retail/restaurant spots on Main Street: 

-Former Liberty Tap Room

-Homewood Suites (2 spaces)

-Old Cigar Warehouse 

-Former Husk

-Former Army Navy store 

-Former Cook’s Station 

-Former Snack Works

-Former Subway 

-Former Coast store 

-Camperdown (2 spaces) 

-Bottom floor of Carolina Ale House 

-Former Dark Corner Distillery

-Former Brooks Brothers

-Former Tribus Interior Design 

-Former Lynn Strong

-Space between Savannah Bee Company and bluemercury 

-Former Southern Tide 

-Former Cochram Jewelers

-Spots next to Comedy Zone (2 spaces) 

22 total. If we can get this number down to 10 I will be happy.

Edited by gman430

14 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Considering that a brewery is proposed for the Old Cigar Warehouse, I’m not sure why it’s included. 
For perspective, this is over a ~14 block stretch of Main Street. 

I included it because the city hasn’t approved their plans yet and may not at all due to neighbor noise concerns. Yes it is 14 blocks but it’s also 22 spaces that the city is missing out on tax revenue wise. 

6 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Just like all of the freak out comments about GSP, you're ignoring a larger global phenomenon of the pandemic. This is not unique to Greenville, and not some isolated situation. The City is developing a retail recruitment strategy and wants those storefronts occupied more than you. However, things take time, rental rates must be right, and someone must be willing to assume the risk.

Greenville is actually very blessed to have such a well-rounded urban core. I can tell you that places like Washington, DC, where their downtown is 95% office space, the storefronts that survived the riots of 2020 did not survive the dearth of office workers during the pandemic. Talk about empty. It's an absolute ghost town.

I hope you’re right. I still would like to see the city issue a tax incentives package for retailers and restaurants to come downtown and fill some of these empty spaces like they are doing with the facade improvements one. I believe the city of Spartanburg has implemented something along these lines. 

• Like 2