The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, westsider28 said:

@cworld78mentioned Madewell coming to Greenville in the Haywood Mall thread, but some Googling suggests (via this store director job posting) that the store will be downtown.  Solid addition to downtown's retail offerings.  Any ideas where it will be?  I'll guess Camperdown.

Camperdown would be my guess as well.

14 hours ago, westsider28 said:

@cworld78mentioned Madewell coming to Greenville in the Haywood Mall thread, but some Googling suggests (via this store director job posting) that the store will be downtown.  Solid addition to downtown's retail offerings.  Any ideas where it will be?  I'll guess Camperdown.

You just made my day!  I am still in the dumps over the closing of Brooks Brothers, so it’s great to see that high-profile national retailers continue to come downtown.  Clearly the store is downtown, based on the listing.

With all of the higher-end national and regional chain clothing stores downtown, I'd think that by now, when a typical Greenville lady with disposable incomes thinks, "time to go shopping!", she'd think of downtown just as much as Haywood or elsewhere.  I would think that national chains like to be near similar national chains, and there are enough higher-end ones downtown, and so few higher-end ones at Haywood, that they will keep coming downtown, as long as foot traffic holds up (and I see no reason for foot traffic downtown to decline, given all of the new construction downtown).

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 6:16 PM, westsider28 said:

No mention of Madewell as coming soon in the Haywood directory.  Lucky Brand coming soon to Haywood and  Pei Wei Asian Diner.

• 2 weeks later...

Parsley & Mint has closed downtown. Didn’t they just reopen after renovations recently: https://greenvillejournal.com/eat-drink/parsley-mint-closes-downtown-greenville-sc-location/ 

Too many high-end niche overpriced restaurants downtown with the size of the Greenville market IMO and with more coming I don’t know how they all expect to survive. We need more retailers and fast casual restaurants like Chick-Fil-A and Chipotle downtown instead. 

Edited by gman430