The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, olrob said:

Another great institution closing downtown. Sad. It will probably be replaced with an ice cream/coffee shop, women’s boutique, or some high end overpriced steak restaurant. We need a few more of all three downtown. Miss having affordable options. Now the area only caters to rich people and their spoiled kids.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Another great institution closing downtown. Sad. It will probably be replaced with an ice cream/coffee shop, women’s boutique, or some high end overpriced steak restaurant. We need a few more of all three downtown. Miss having affordable options. Now the area only caters to rich people and their spoiled kids.

I’m glad that you haven’t changed at all.  Let’s continue to focus only on the negative, and make only unsubstantiated pessimistic statements about Greenville.  Excellent!

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, gman430 said:

Barley's has been going downhill for a bit unfortunately from what I can glean from one of my friends in the restaurant industry the owners were not fun to work with and there was constant drama.

I think Todaro's fills the niche of cheap decent pizza, but it's on the other side of downtown. Bertolo's is alright and only a little bit more expensive and it's a two minute walk from  Barley's. I do agree, downtown needs to keep the plethora of different cost restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I hate to see this one. While I have never walked in their store or made a purchase, I have always appreciated their storefront displays as being pleasant to look at. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 12:53 AM, gman430 said:

Carmella’s is now open at Camperdown: 

https://carmellasdessertbar.com/locations/greenville/

I was wrong. They’re not open yet. Hope it didn’t stall. I haven’t seen any work being done on the space for a while now so I am thinking it has unfortunately. 

Edited by gman430

32 minutes ago, gman430 said:

I was wrong. They’re not open yet. Hope it didn’t stall. I haven’t seen any work being done on the space for a while now so I am thinking it has unfortunately. 

Past couple times I've walked by the framing is all still open and the electrical looks half finished. I was wondering if they are waiting for something to come in.  Either electrical or plumbing

Edited by NewlyUpstate

1 hour ago, NewlyUpstate said:

Past couple times I've walked by the framing is all still open and the electrical looks half finished. I was wondering if they are waiting for something to come in.  Either electrical or plumbing

I hope you’re right. The general contractor sign is still up on the window so that might bode well.