The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 2:35 PM, GvilleSC said:

I hate to see this one. While I have never walked in their store or made a purchase, I have always appreciated their storefront displays as being pleasant to look at. 

The Beija-Flor Jeans space has been leased to DZN Home for their second downtown location. I knew the space wouldn’t stay empty long. Prime space downtown for sure. Opening in July. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 10:30 AM, GvilleSC said:

Between the Chickfila window and the Spartina store, work has started on what I'm hearing rumors of being a national retailer. Has anyone else heard anything? 

No, but (1) the space is to be a retail store and (2) Hughes Development, which has a good track record bringing national retailers downtown, owns the space so you may well be correct:

9963?fileID=54673

Since this building was JCPenney, it would be nice to see the whole thing made into retail again.  Street-level office space is odd, and who would want to work either in the middle of the building, without windows, or along the street where anyone could look inside to see you at work?

• 2 weeks later...

O-Ku opens July 14th.

Kung Fu Tea is now open. 

217 North Main Street has finally been leased after being available for years and building permit has been issued.

The old I-Store is confirmed sold. It looks like they’re planning to reopen in November. 

BrickTops is now hiring for all positions. Looks like opening in August. 

There are now only eight available retail/restaurant tenant spaces available on Main Street from Beattie Place to Markley Street:

-Former Jersey Mike’s, 219 North Main Street across from the Hyatt, former Luna Rosa, two spaces at Camperdown, former Hennessee Haven, and two spaces at Homewood Suites. 

Edited by gman430
  • Thanks 3

New seafood restaurant for Gather GVL: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/food/new-food-concept-bringing-seafood-boils-to-gather-gvl-food-hall/article_55181486-20e2-11ee-b8e3-830999d63f21.html

Opening August 7th next to Sofrito’s on Main Street: 

https://thegoatgvl.com

Former Downtown Dental space at McBee Station has been leased. 

Bougie Lounge next to Lululemon opens July 28th.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

Berkshire Hathaway to replace former Ever Row. 

Vagabond Trader to close July 30th.

Papi’s Tacos is now hiring for their additional location. 

DZN Home is now open in the former Beija Flor space. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Here is what is going inside the former Barley’s space downtown: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/heres-whats-going-into-the-barleys-space-in-downtown-greenville/article_c0df8146-2627-11ee-889d-9353843903cf.html

In addition, Dozier is poised to open Cowboy Up in the former Addy’s space at 17 Coffee St. in downtown Greenville this fall. He will open The Cocktail Company at Camperdown in late August/early September also. 

Edited by gman430

34 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Here is what is going inside the former Barley’s space downtown: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/heres-whats-going-into-the-barleys-space-in-downtown-greenville/article_c0df8146-2627-11ee-889d-9353843903cf.html

In addition, Dozier is poised to open Cowboy Up in the former Addy’s space at 17 Coffee St. in downtown Greenville this fall. He will open The Cocktail Company at Camperdown in late August/early September also. 

I don't understand how this guy has the time and mental energy to open all these places all at the same time lol.  It's good to see that the Barleys space had a competitive bid situation and that he had to pay over asking to get it.. it's a continued good sign for our market.

19 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

This is the new storefront being built right? I'll never buy anything from there but that's a solid land hah. I've always liked how their stores looked.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

On 6/29/2023 at 10:30 AM, GvilleSC said:

Between the Chickfila window and the Spartina store, work has started on what I'm hearing rumors of being a national retailer. Has anyone else heard anything? 

Re: Warby Parker -- that was the rumor that I was hearing and referencing above. Good to see smaller format storefronts getting created and/or lease by strong retail tenants. 

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

Wow, that’s a big win for downtown.  And the critical mass of A-list stores is now so big that surely more will come.

I will certainly look to buy things there.

Haywood Mall doesn’t seem to be luring big-name stores.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

Former Luna Rosa (confirmed) and possibly former Jersey Mike’s (not confirmed) leased. The number of available retail and restaurant spaces on Main Street is now down to six or seven. 

By the way, there were a dozen offers for the Luna Rosa space. Tells you how much retail and restaurant space is in demand downtown right now. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4