The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I have to say that if any high-rise should be developed anywhere downtown, it should be on this Washington & Main site first and foremost. It's begging for one. A big-draw ground floor anchor retail tenant such as Borders would just be icing on the perverbial cake.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I have to say that if any high-rise should be developed anywhere downtown, it should be on this Washington & Main site first and foremost. It's begging for one. A big-draw ground floor anchor retail tenant such as Borders would just be icing on the perverbial cake.

I have no idea how much office, residential, and retail TIC Properties has planned for the development, but a highrise of 10-15 floors shouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility. The only reason it wouldn't happen is because they have so much land to work with. Given the fact that they have nearly an entire city block to work with, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I will be really disappointed if it is merely a bunch of 3-5 story brick buildings with ground floor retail, condos above, and some office space - plus an open area for a park. BLAH.

My expectations (whether realistic or not):

-NO BRICK. Greenville has really pretty use of brick throughout downtown. But we have enough. This development needs different materials - something to make it pop.

-Make it a legitimate DESTINATION. It needs at least one national retail anchor like Borders, Barnes and Noble, or Best Buy. They should be considering a small movie theater or IMAX. It needs an urban Walgreen's. It could also use a national restaurant chain or two like Cosi, Au Bon Pain, or Chipotle. They could even consider something like Dunkin' Donuts.

-MAKE IT COUNT! This project is either going to be average, or it is going to change downtown Greenville. I truly hope they will go all out on this project, especially since so much time and effort (and money!) have gone into making this development a possibility.

Does TIC Properties do good work? Can we expect something awesome here, or will it be another example of local developers not having a clue as to the possibilities?

I have heard rumblings that Borders will indeed be a main tenant in the Main and Washington development, but I'm not sure how legit that is.

That would be awesome. I've been waiting patiently for Borders to open up a full scale store in SC somewhere. I think they have an express store somewhere (maybe in Greenville?).

I will be really disappointed if it is merely a bunch of 3-5 story brick buildings with ground floor retail, condos above, and some office space - plus an open area for a park. BLAH.

If there's going to be a tower it would be ideal to have exactly that, but with a tower set back off of the street. I'm talking general form here... the material makes no difference to me so long as it looks good.

I like your assessment, Greenville. I agree. Relatively speaking, this is the center of our skyline, if looking from either the east or west. There's no reason it shouldn't have a building to serve as a pinnacle of sorts and relate the North Main buildings to the those of South Main by filling in that gap between Bank of America and Wachovia (or taller: Poinsett Plaza). Ideally it would be the city's tallest given the location. Nonetheless, we definitely need great street level interaction, national retailers, and a destination aspect.

And yes, I believe there's a Borders Express in Haywood. correct?

That would be awesome. I've been waiting patiently for Borders to open up a full scale store in SC somewhere. I think they have an express store somewhere (maybe in Greenville?)...
Borders Express is in the Haywood Mall. It is small, but packed. I have been there numerous times, though its size is its downfall for my regular business.

Towers built along Main will have to be offset. I hope that carries through to the rest of the new development as well, like you mentioned.

Borders Express is in the Haywood Mall. It is small, but packed. I have been there numerous times, though its size is its downfall for my regular business.

I agree with you about the size, I like Borders but the size of the Haywood store does not make it a "comfortable" experience and certainly not a destination or a reason that ever brings me to Haywood. Now a nice urbanized 2 story Border with huge windows opening to both Main and Washington Streets and perhaps a side entrance spilling out into a courtyard that feeds the piazza de bargamo with a large coffee bar, THAT is something I would leave the house for.

Towers built along Main will have to be offset. I hope that carries through to the rest of the new development as well, like you mentioned.

I thought that our DPC was insisting that for our large scale buildings near main to absolutely have frontage to reinforce the walkability of our Main streets. Any major tennants would also want to have frontage on Main to have the more prestigous "Main St) moniker in their buildings address. I belive that BOA has had battles with losing their Main St. address due to the Piazza de Bergamo's design and placement.

Edited by gvegascple

I thought that our DPC was insisting that for our large scale buildings near main to absolutely have frontage to reinforce the walkability of our Main streets. Any major tennants would also want to have frontage on Main to have the more prestigous "Main St) moniker in their buildings address. I belive that BOA has had battles with losing their Main St. address due to the Piazza de Bergamo's design and placement.

There is a city ordinance specifying how far from the curb buildings must set back from Main Street. That's what Skyliner was referring to.

BOA is known as "101 North Main" now - I think the re-addressing is complete for that building. All that remains now is for the demolition work around the Piazza to begin so that the building's orientation toward North Main is more obvious.

Jittery Joe's is looking for a spot downtown or in West End.

http://www.jitteryjoes.com/index.php?section=26

There's a parcel on Pete Hollis Boulevard just north of Stone Avenue that is going to have a pharmacy and coffee house. I wonder if the coffee house would be Jittery Joe's? Given Jittery Joe's involvement in professional cycling and the presence of the Hincapie presence in the vacinity, this somehow wouldn't surprise me.

There's a parcel on Pete Hollis Boulevard just north of Stone Avenue that is going to have a pharmacy and coffee house. I wonder if the coffee house would be Jittery Joe's? Given Jittery Joe's involvement in professional cycling and the presence of the Hincapie presence in the vacinity, this somehow wouldn't surprise me.

Which parcel?

Which parcel?

They're right across the highway from that Spinx parcel and just a little to the North, actually.

If you look on the GCGIS tax map, they're 0028000102100 and 0028000102000 (0028000102100 would be the Walgreens/CVS/whatever and 0028000102000 would be the coffeehouse). Both are owned (as well as two other parcels on the same block) by CDI HOLDINGS LLC.

Could be a Starbucks or a PCJ or a Brickhouse - but seems an odd location to me for Starbucks or PCJ...maybe Brickhouse or Jittery Joes or another.

Edited by RestedTraveler

The area is somewhat disconnected at the moment; however, if things go as planned for the Hollis Gateway area, it will be part an integral part of downtown sooner rather than later...much like what has become of the West End.

Thats cool. I'll go with the local preference, but I think its a bit of a stretch to call that "downtown." I've always considered the Rutherford/Buncombe split to be the edge, based mainly on the 'feel' of the area.

Thats cool. I'll go with the local preference, but I think its a bit of a stretch to call that "downtown." I've always considered the Rutherford/Buncombe split to be the edge, based mainly on the 'feel' of the area.

Yes, I'd agree that's a fair assessment as well. I've always viewed passing the Stone Avenue intersection as that "you're now leaving Downtown Greenville" line, myself.

I was thinking that we had discussed this, but maybe not... I think it's tragic that unique places are going out of business. The market will work things out. If they weren't making enough to pay the rent, then they probably weren't contributing to the livelihood of downtown (other than curious people or window shoppers). I mean that in terms of drawing people just to visit their store, etc... Hopefully someone is already planning to lease the place

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but another place in the Fieldhouse is occupied. "Sarah's" I think it's called. Looked like another women's boutique store :sick: . It won't draw me downtown to shop, but it's good nonetheless to have the space filled. I with them luck. :good:

Great...another "Pink and Green" boutique. Haven't we met our quota?

There's now a ratio of 2:1...two of these stores for every Augusta Road woman.

:rofl: hilarious. yes, downtown will soon be giving the Augusta Rd shopping district a run for its money in terms of women's stores of stuff they don't really need...