The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Hey, don't knock it. The ladies like to shop and if there are a bunch of stores around they can spend all afternoon looking around. That makes the restaurants happy too. That's one way downtown becomes a destination.

And if there is a sports bar around the guys they drag along can duck in to watch the game for a few minutes. "Just one beer and a couple wings, I promise"

While stores like The Map Shop and Earshot are cool, there was obviously a problem or those places wouldn't have gone out of business. I don't see a need for a map store or music store downtown if people won't support it. Conversely, if people support the local boutiques, then they are needed.

We'll know that our city is ready to progress retail-wise when there are enough residents willing and able to support the stores mentioned above.

While stores like The Map Shop and Earshot are cool, there was obviously a problem or those places wouldn't have gone out of business. I don't see a need for a map store or music store downtown if people won't support it. Conversely, if people support the local boutiques, then they are needed.

We'll know that our city is ready to progress retail-wise when there are enough residents willing and able to support the stores mentioned above.

I agree. Both of those stores are great ideas for e-commerce stores. EarShot may have been something viable in the 80's but it because irrelevant after music downloads on the Internet and the iPod and other mp3 players became popular. Also while the Map Shop was a unique idea I'm not sure downtown Greenville was the best place. I think the Map Shop would be great if it was in a location where people needed maps are maps that fit a niche like along the Appalacian Trail, Rivers or other places where newer tech like GPS or even street signs is not available. The Map Shop owners actually ran two businesses out of that location. The other one was called, Agency Services which did a lot of custom graphics (usually map based or themed) for other companies). I think they might have done better cattering to doing demographic map work for other companies and moving the Map Shop online if that was their thing. (Actually I think that is what they may be doing now) I admit I liked to go in and look around but I was never moved to buy any "map products".

I wish that the Bohemian Cafe and the music store next door would move closer to the action. One day Stone avenue will be in the mix of things, but I guess I'm just impatient. I guess that's what the trolley is for, actually. Does anyone actually ride it that far up??

Not sure if anybody else mentioned this, but O-Cha is now open at RiverPlace. I was out of town during the opening, so I missed it until this past weekend.

It's much smaller and more quaint than the other location, but there is some huge potential there to do a lot of out-the-door business once the weather warms up. I bet a walk-up window would work nicely there in the front, too, where the sidewalk comes up along the front window.

I'll definitely be taking my kids back throughout the summer. The wife, unfortunately, isn't a huge fan. She loves her coffee.

Some seem to still be having difficulty adopting the idea, though. As I was going to O-Cha, I saw some people on bikes sitting and looking over at the door rather perplexed and one said "the sign says 'tea bar' ... what's that?" I replied, "Go in and find out - you won't regret it!" They smiled and rode off.

Some seem to still be having difficulty adopting the idea, though. As I was going to O-Cha, I saw some people on bikes sitting and looking over at the door rather perplexed and one said "the sign says 'tea bar' ... what's that?" I replied, "Go in and find out - you won't regret it!" They smiled and rode off.

I didn't realize that a tea bar was such a foreign concept for some. Do they expect to walk in and get iced tea (sweetened with loads of sugar, of course)? :lol:

Anyone heard anything about a new micro-brew planned for downtown? Something is brewing (no pun intended).......don't know much more.

Nothing to add here, but it sounds great. Keep us informed...

Has anything come of the Tequila Bar you or someone mentioned a while back?

Edited by GvilleSC

Nothing to add here, but it sounds great. Keep us informed...

Has anything come of the Tequila Bar you or someone mentioned a while back?

The Tequila Bar is some locals, and I haven't heard anymore. Need to see what I can find out.

The micro brew is a national, upscale chain that is looking at Greenville, from what I know. It has supposedly been looking at few a suburban developments, but I just heard yesterday that the company will not commit to the development(s) yet as they are also looking at a downtown / West End location. I don't know anymore. I think I know who the chain is, but my source would not give out the name. I think someone on UP here knows (and you know who you are). :)

I have my fishing gear out.........

Edited by gsupstate

The Tequila Bar is some locals, and I haven't heard anymore. Need to see what I can find out.

The micro brew is a national, upscale chain that is looking at Greenville, from what I know. It has supposedly been looking at few a suburban developments, but I just heard yesterday that the company will not commit to the development(s) yet as they are also looking at a downtown / West End location. I don't know anymore. I think I know who the chain is, but my source would not give out the name. I think someone on UP here knows (and you know who you are). :)

I have my fishing gear out.........

My guess is Gordon Biersch. Their first (and currently only) SC location will be opening in Myrtle Beach on April 3, so their location in Greenville would seem realistic. They are also located in Atlanta, Miami, Virginia Beach, the DC area, and 9 other states.

My guess is Gordon Biersch. Their first (and currently only) SC location will be opening in Myrtle Beach on April 3, so their location in Greenville would seem realistic. They are also located in Atlanta, Miami, Virginia Beach, the DC area, and 9 other states.

That'd be great, if it were them. I ate at Gordon Biersch in Palo Alto a few months ago and the food and beer were both EXCELLENT.

I know there is already a "Hops" franchise in Irmo, SC - http://www.hopsonline.com/home/openmenu.asp, it's a chain microbrewery. I've wondered if they would ever move up to Greenville.

Could downtown support two microbreweries, including Blue Ridge Brewing Company? I guess it could.

Did we not have a Hops at one point in time? I feel like I've seen that logo somewhere around town... :dontknow:

There are no longer any Hops locations in South Carolina. There were at one time two Hops locations within 100 miles of Greenville: one down in Irmo and one over in Spartanburg. Both have long since closed. The one down in Irmo near the Home Depot is now a Hooters, if I'm not mistaken. I had eaten there many times when it was Hops because Hops is one of those Orlando/Tampa-based chains that my wife and I loved and missed from Orlando. They are a chain that is slowly fading into obscurity, I'm afraid...at least here in South Carolina. Even some of the "home turf" locations that we used to frequent in Orlando are now closed.

Also - downtown can definitely support more than one microbrowery. Keep in mind that the Liberty Tap Room in the Fieldhouse at Fluor Field is also a microbrewery.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I wish that the Bohemian Cafe and the music store next door would move closer to the action. One day Stone avenue will be in the mix of things, but I guess I'm just impatient. I guess that's what the trolley is for, actually. Does anyone actually ride it that far up??

I like it where it is :D . It's a one minute walk from my house so it's pretty convenient!

Speaking of downtown retail, does anyone else find it odd that a Dentist is setting up shop in the middle of Main Street in Eden's old space?

I don't find it odd at all. At one time, there were doctors and dentists on the 2nd floor of many of the retails spots downtown. I'm with GvilleSC - I, too, find it encouraging to see that there is enough of a population downtown to warrant it again.