The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

We were in Charlotte yesterday at South Park Mall and went into Joseph-Beth Booksellers. As we were leaving I told my husband that it would be a perfect bookstore for Greenville. Instead of another Borders or Barnes and Noble, why not Joseph-Beth (*Davis-Kidd) Booksellers He just chuckled and walked me over to a board with comment cards on it. One of the top ones had a note asking them to please consider coming to Downtown Greenville, SC. It mentioned our Riverplace area that is still being developed and how great it would be for this type of bookstore. My husband looked at me and said "Sounds like someone else likes your idea, too." I told him it was probably someone who is on Urban Planet. So, has anyone been to this store? It is a great place.

*Our daughter was in Nashville for 4 years. She kept saying the store looked like a Davis-Kidd store. After doing some research I found out that the Davis Kidd owners sold their stores to Joseph-Beth in 1996 when they retired.

We were in Charlotte yesterday at South Park Mall and went into Joseph-Beth Booksellers. As we were leaving I told my husband that it would be a perfect bookstore for Greenville. Instead of another Borders or Barnes and Noble, why not Joseph-Beth (*Davis-Kidd) Booksellers He just chuckled and walked me over to a board with comment cards on it. One of the top ones had a note asking them to please consider coming to Downtown Greenville, SC. It mentioned our Riverplace area that is still being developed and how great it would be for this type of bookstore. My husband looked at me and said "Sounds like someone else likes your idea, too." I told him it was probably someone who is on Urban Planet. So, has anyone been to this store? It is a great place.

*Our daughter was in Nashville for 4 years. She kept saying the store looked like a Davis-Kidd store. After doing some research I found out that the Davis Kidd owners sold their stores to Joseph-Beth in 1996 when they retired.

Great idea!!

When I lived in B'ham, we would go to Nashville for the weekend and go in the Davis-Kidd store at Green Hills. Always loved that store. Much more indepth with hard to find titles than B&N. They would do well in downtown Greenville.

Yes - this would be a perfect fit for DT Greenville. Hopefully you left another comment card on the board. The more the merrier. :thumbsup:

Since we were on our way out the door when I saw the card, I didn't get to add one on this visit, however, I plan to go back in a couple of weeks. I will definitely add a card then. I've also thought about sending an email. I love the atmosphere there. It is different than any other bookstore I've been in. Anytime we visit somewhere different, we look for a bookstore, and love to find stores we haven't been in before. This is my favorite so far.

I find it encouraging that someone who provides such a service might find that the downtown daytime or regular population could warrant such a location.

Walking by this dentist office this morning, the paper was off the windows and the lights were on. VERY contemporary interior. Looked more like a lounge or bar. :lol: I don't know anything about this particular practice, but my guess is this will not be your typical family dentist. Bet you their marketing campaign will be about "tooth whitening" and "cosmetic dentistry", to appeal to the downtown office crowd and the evening going out crowd. No facts, just a hunch.

Walking by this dentist office this morning, the paper was off the windows and the lights were on. VERY contemporary interior. Looked more like a lounge or bar. :lol: I don't know anything about this particular practice, but my guess is this will not be your typical family dentist. Bet you their marketing campaign will be about "tooth whitening" and "cosmetic dentistry", to appeal to the downtown office crowd and the evening going out crowd. No facts, just a hunch.

Maybe but they probably don't want to be associated with those people who were doing teeth whitening at the mall either. I think the more dentists can make their places more like a lounge and less like medical place the better consider the fears a lot of people have of dentists. (including myself).

Maybe but they probably don't want to be associated with those people who were doing teeth whitening at the mall either. I think the more dentists can make their places more like a lounge and less like medical place the better consider the fears a lot of people have of dentists. (including myself).

The same philosophy is important for medical offices. The more calming and comfortable the waiting rooms and exam rooms are, the less nervous patients feel. Many will say that they actually look forward to their appointments and enjoy them. It's interesting how important environment is to our state of mind. :)

I heard that the Apple store is definitely coming to Greenville. It will be located in the Riverplace complex, just off Main St. My source is reliable.

Whoa, now that would be a great coup for the CBD! Great location for something like Apple, too. :thumbsup:

So just to refresh my memory, we first heard that Greenville's Apple store would be at Haywood Mall. Then we heard Magnolia Park. Now we're hearing the West End. Interesting...

Is 2009 still the target opening date?

Is this that 'local apple store' that people mentioned before?? They rumored Riverplace for it, but it's not a real Apple Store. Can anyone clear up this controversy?

I totally forgot about the iPlace store (currently located off The Parkway, I believe) which we heard would be relocating to RiverPlace. Hmm...

Edited by Greenville

It's the real Apple store.

WOW! Any idea when an announcement will be made?

I think this is HUGE. If a major national retailer, skips the existing mall (which is the ONLY enclosed mall and does well by retail standards), and the 'next big thing' retail project to go DT, that is REALLY saying something. It could lead to ohers too.

This sounds great, but I have learned not to get my hopes up, especially in this economy.

I am interested in knowing exactly where this would go. The office building's ground floor space is nearly full, if I am not mistaken. Perhaps The Terrace?

There's one retail location near the restroom in the RiverPlace Office building, but that seems like an oddball location for anything, to me. I'd certainly not put anything there myself, but maybe an Apple Store could make that location work.

Yes, if that is the location adjacent to the ladies clothing store and the ladies shoe store.

So this will front Camperdown Way, directly across from Oyster's on the West End?

It's across the lobby from the botique, actually. There's nothing left fronting Camperdown. It's above High Cotton and fronts the brick alley way between River House and 155 RiverPlace, I guess, if anything. They could probably hang a shingle sign and have it seen from down below on the RiverWalk.

Seriously - if any retailer can draw people into that oddball location, it's Apple. I don't think it's really suited to anything other than a destination retailer because it's so off of the beaten path.

Edited by RestedTraveler