The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Is this the old Subway location on North Main?

I hope they add a shingle sign. Very few people (relatively) will ever read a sign that's plastered on the facade like that.

For those literal thinkers out there, know that I AM aware that the sign is not actually plastered to the wall. I'm referring to its flatness and intention of being read from the street or across the street. :silly:

Indoor putt-putt coming to the west end. They have started renovating the green building on the corner of Boggs street and Camperdown.

Next to Oysters on the West End for anybody who doesn't know. :) That area is starting to become it's own little fun area for kids and adults alike with Spill the Beans, Michelin on Main, Munchies, and now this.

Just realized that there is not one empty spot (with Dunkin Donuts and Rising Roll both opening soon) in this stretch of North Main.

That's a great sign for downtown. With all the turnovers that sparked this thread initially (all of which were basically contained to North Main), new life has filled these storefronts and North Main continues to keep its liveliness. :thumbsup:

Well, Columbia's planned downtown Dunkin Donuts' details were reported in The State. I originally thought that both city's downtown location would be similar, but according to the details, it doesn't sound much like what we've heard on our's. So, my point in sharing this is that Greenville's "flagship store" must really be just that. Not an above average store that you'll find in various cities, but a truly unique DD that people will want to visit, not just for food and drinks, but also for the experience. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we lost another good place downtown. I noticed that the Bistro Europa has closed and there are for lease signs up.

My wife and I will miss this place, we really liked their food, lunches especially.

Anyone have any idea what happened or if they intend on opening up eleswhere?

Looks like we lost another good place downtown. I noticed that the Bistro Europa has closed and there are for lease signs up.

My wife and I will miss this place, we really liked their food, lunches especially.

Anyone have any idea what happened or if they intend on opening up eleswhere?

I heard their lease was up and that their rent was going up drastically for the new lease. They closed for a week of vacation and did not reopen....walked away. If you look closely on the door, there is a court document with a case against them for "non-payment of rent". Don't know if they are going to re-open in another spot or not. I did like their food and will miss them. The spot should be a pretty easy spot fill though.

On that same block noticed that Loose Lucy's has opened their new store.

I heard their lease was up and that their rent was going up drastically for the new lease. The spot should be a pretty easy spot fill though.

With the current "economic downturn" and the high number of for lease signs that now dot up and down main street, it may not be so easy of a spot to fill. Having leased prooperty before, I always found that small incremental increases in rent where much more logical than a drastic one. The overhead involved in the latter, including preparation of the location for a new tennant, shopping a for a new tennanat, and all the months of zero income waiting for a new tennant took fovever to recoup vs just keeping my current rentor happy.

I hope someone does find a place, but not ANOTHER plain old sandwich shop though as I think that we have met our quota.

With the current "economic downturn" and the high number of for lease signs that now dot up and down main street, it may not be so easy of a spot to fill. Having leased prooperty before, I always found that small incremental increases in rent where much more logical than a drastic one. The overhead involved in the latter, including preparation of the location for a new tennant, shopping a for a new tennanat, and all the months of zero income waiting for a new tennant took fovever to recoup vs just keeping my current rentor happy.

I hope someone does find a place, but not ANOTHER plain old sandwich shop though as I think that we have met our quota.

I agree with you about no more sandwich shops.

The number of empty spaces for lease is actually down from this time last year, not up, I believe. There aren't that many. The block with Mast is 100% leased I believe, except for the spot Loose Lucy's moved from (where Dunkin will open). On the block with Bistro Europa, I believe it is only this spot, the old Drakes spot and the old Betty Pearls location. There are a good number of "for lease" signs for 2nd and 3rd floors, but street level retail looks to be about 85 to 90% full.

The number of retail/restaurant spaces on Main Street for lease are indeed down from last year. It won't take long for the current empty ones to fill with tenants from past experience. It's never a good thing when a retail/restaurant establishment closes along this corridor but seeing how rent rates are going up dramatically, don't be suprised if a few national retailers start to make their name known in the downtown area. With several mixed-use projects in the area currently on hold, several tenants are starting to take a closer look at downtown.

The number of retail/restaurant spaces on Main Street for lease are indeed down from last year. It won't take long for the current empty ones to fill with tenants from past experience. It's never a good thing when a retail/restaurant establishment closes along this corridor but seeing how rent rates are going up dramatically, don't be suprised if a few national retailers start to make their name known in the downtown area.

I hope you don't mean that I will see Lemongrass, Blue Ridge, Handi, and others replaced by McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendys.

I hope you don't mean that I will see Lemongrass, Blue Ridge, Handi, and others replaced by McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendys.

:lol: No. Definitely not. That would be :sick: if that were to happen. I'm referring to national retailers/restaurants such as Border's, Walgreens, Applebees, etc. not fast-food restaurants that appear on every corner. The restaurants you listed that are located downtown are doing very well and I don't expect them to close anytime soon if ever. It is easier for restaurants to pay rent over retail establishments. That is why you see the retail tenants not last as long as the restaurants downtown.

:lol: No. Definitely not. That would be :sick: if that were to happen. I'm referring to national retailers/restaurants such as Border's, Walgreens, Applebees, etc. not fast-food restaurants that appear on every corner. The restaurants you listed that are located downtown are doing very well and I don't expect them to close anytime soon if ever. It is easier for restaurants to pay rent over retail establishments. That is why you see the retail tenants not last as long as the restaurants downtown.

Borders - Big Yes

Walgreens - yes if tastefully done i.e. blend into existing architecture

Applebees, TGIF, O'Charlies, the Olive Garden, etc - I would really be sad if that happens. It would turn Main St Greenville into hwy 123, Easley. No thanks. Try to imagine how awful Market Street would be if many of the unique cafes closed and those chains above replaced them. I, for one, would stop going.

Borders - Big Yes

Walgreens - yes if tastefully done i.e. blend into existing architecture

Applebees, TGIF, O'Charlies, the Olive Garden, etc - I would really be sad if that happens. It would turn Main St Greenville into hwy 123, Easley. No thanks. Try to imagine how awful Market Street would be if many of the unique cafes closed and those chains above replaced them. I, for one, would stop going.

There used to be an Applebees on Market St.