The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Just a few updates:

-Twigs will be putting in a store where Qi Mountain was located along Main Street in the West End. I imagine this is a relocation of their current store next to the Westin Poinsett.

-Several building permits have been filed for tenant spaces at McBee Station. One is for Great Clips and another is for the space next to Publix. I'm not sure what will be going into that space. Great Clips will be going into a different one.

-Interior construction has begun for the iplace store at Riverplace. Expect it to open sometime within the next 1-3 months.

-Interior construction is also underway for Liquid Highway along Main Street inside the Hyatt building.

Expect more announcements for retailers/restaurants coming downtown over the next several months. :)

Edited by citylife

-Interior construction is also underway for Liquid Highway along Main Street inside the Hyatt building.

A very welcomed addition to the north end of Main. I must say, their new stores are fun. Just went in one of their new locations last week when I was in Mauldin.....cool interior. :thumbsup:

Just a few updates:

-Several building permits have been filed for tenant spaces at McBee Station. One is for Great Clips and another is for the space next to Publix. I'm not sure what will be going into that space. Great Clips will be going into a different one.

-Interior construction has begun for the iplace store at Riverplace. Expect it to open sometime within the next 1-3 months.

Nice to see a Great Clips closer to my home. I'm a real cheapskate when it comes to haircuts. I noticed they are also opening one on Pleasantburg where Jeff Lynch used to be. :silly:

I was wondering about iPlace. Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

i do know there is Chiropractic office going into McBee Station, i do not know which space though.

FIlling McBee is very important in getting DT to spread more beyond main street! Good announcments guys, keep em' coming! :thumbsup:

I agree that Target Dt would be ok. Somehow target just doesn't stimulate the gag reflex that Walmart does (for me anyway) and it would seem to fit our DT much better. I still would not want it to endanger local retailers though. I imagine it will quite awhile before Target entertained building a store in DT however.

Edited by distortedlogic

FIlling McBee is very important in getting DT to spread more beyond main street! Good announcments guys, keep em' coming! :thumbsup:

I agree with that!

Onto another item...

Has anyone noticed the banner reading "Main St Executive Suites Comming Soon" on the side of the Bergamo Building facing the Piaza? This is pretty cool news, but I thought that building was on the verge of being condemed with all the backed up sewage and mold...

Just wanted to let you know that the space where my store was (Venti) has been leased. It is going to be a wine, cheese, gourmet grocery that rents bicycles as well. A girl from Easley is opening it. That information came from Hans (the building owner) so it should be accurate. I know you guys like to stay in the loop so here is the one tidbit that I have. :)

And no...my website isn't up yet. It has taken longer than anticipated :whistling: (didn't quite realize how much was left to do...there was a lot of merchandise to add). When it does launch (www.ventiweb.com) I'll let you know so you can tell all your friends ;) When I reopen the physical store you will be among the first to know as well. Thanks again for all of your support.

When that new business opens, support it! (<-- the wine/cheese/gourmet/bicycle store...I don't know what it will be called) Local businesses are good! The right mix of local and national retailers (ones who aren't already in Greenville) will be good as well IMO.

Edited by KristenL

Just wanted to let you know that the space where my store was (Venti) has been leased. It is going to be a wine, cheese, gourmet grocery that rents bicycles as well. A girls from Easley is opening it. That information came from Hans (the building owner) so it should be accurate. I know you guys like to stay in the loop so here is the one tidbit that I have. :)

An intriguing combination. What is the name going to be?

How about Cheese & Roll? There is already a Rising Roll though so that might be confusing.

Or Gourmet Cycle?

I kinda like the name Two Wheels and a Picnic. That is bound to get some people stopping in just to find out what it means :)

Sounds like the market for Main Street space is still solid. Someone new moving right in.

Good luck with your new direction and website.

Just wanted to let you know that the space where my store was (Venti) has been leased. It is going to be a wine, cheese, gourmet grocery that rents bicycles as well. A girls from Easley is opening it. That information came from Hans (the building owner) so it should be accurate. I know you guys like to stay in the loop so here is the one tidbit that I have. :)

And no...my website isn't up yet. It has taken longer than anticipated :whistling: (didn't quite realize how much was left to do...there was a lot of merchandise to add). When it does launch (www.ventiweb.com) I'll let you know so you can tell all your friends ;) When I reopen the physical store you will be among the first to know as well. Thanks again for all of your support.

When that new business opens, support it! (<-- the wine/cheese/gourmet/bicycle store...I don't know what it will be called) Local businesses are good! The right mix of local and national retailers (ones who aren't already in Greenville) will be good as well IMO.

Thanks for the update.

Excellent to hear that your old space rented so quickly.

Just a few updates:

-Twigs will be putting in a store where Qi Mountain was located along Main Street in the West End. I imagine this is a relocation of their current store next to the Westin Poinsett.

From my understanding they are planing on keeping the Twigs at the Poinsett and the new store in the west end will have a home furnishings theme.

Re: Target- with the closure of McAlister Square, decline of Pleasantburg Drive (and before, the closure of Belk's on Augusta Road and more), I think that central Greenville is definitely under-served by day-to-day retail; my parents live about 1/2 mile from downtown and they (and I, when I visit) loathe having to schlep out to Woodruff or Haywood Roads even just for a pair of socks or a trip to Target.

Charlotte got a Target, Best Buy, etc. all basically downtown (on the outskirts, but still walkable from the center of uptown) in a mixed-use development. I think that something similar would do fine in Greenville. So glad to see McBee Station, but even more retail like that would be great and would probably do well.

Re: Target- with the closure of McAlister Square, decline of Pleasantburg Drive (and before, the closure of Belk's on Augusta Road and more), I think that central Greenville is definitely under-served by day-to-day retail; my parents live about 1/2 mile from downtown and they (and I, when I visit) loathe having to schlep out to Woodruff or Haywood Roads even just for a pair of socks or a trip to Target.

Charlotte got a Target, Best Buy, etc. all basically downtown (on the outskirts, but still walkable from the center of uptown) in a mixed-use development. I think that something similar would do fine in Greenville. So glad to see McBee Station, but even more retail like that would be great and would probably do well.

If there were an urban style Best Buy DT I could bike/walk to work and probably go from two cars to one.

Wine, cheese, gourmet grocery, and...bicycle rentals? :dunno:

Will people be pushing used bicycles through aisles filled with vintage cabs and chardonnays? Will upper class wine aficionados and foodies have to walk through the bicycle helmets to get to their "section" of the store? So many questions. My head hurts. :lol:

Will people be pushing used bicycles through aisles filled with vintage cabs and chardonnays? Will upper class wine aficionados and foodies have to walk through the bicycle helmets to get to their "section" of the store? So many questions. My head hurts. :lol:

After they finish eating all of that fattening cheese, they're going to need a bicycle. :whistling: Just don't let them ride one after having a few glasses of wine. :lol:

It sounds like some kind of trendy Euro-Store, with the high class bikes next to the Red Zinfandel...