The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Benetz is moving to the West End too.

What's everybody got against N. Main?

Benetz is currently in the orange building that will soon house Dunkin' Donuts right? Where will they locate in the West End?

With all the West End momentum, I'm surprised we haven't seen more developments pop up with proposals or construction recently. There's only so many storefronts to occupy or revamp...

Haven't seen anyone report this. Walked by Munchies last night and they were carrying out the candy racks. The store was pretty well gutted out. :(

Spill the Beans is fully moved to their new location. We stopped in... it looks great! ... tastes good too! :lol: They should do very well here.

I had heard the new SPill the Beans would be a news stand, but that does not appear to be the case.

A few questions regarding retail:

-how is work coming on the Terrace at Riverplace's artist studios?

-what's the low down with the iPlace store (upfitting, open, empty?)

I was downtown a couple of weeks ago (to go to O-CHA - love their new space and location!) and noticed that the new section of art studios are open. I did not stop by, but noticed that others were going in and out. :)

I am not sure about iPlace.

I was downtown a couple of weeks ago (to go to O-CHA - love their new space and location!) and noticed that the new section of art studios are open. I did not stop by, but noticed that others were going in and out. :)

I am not sure about iPlace.

Interior construction is currently being done on the future iplace store.

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...

Great pics. You forgot a few though from iplace to McBee Station. :P Has anybody noticed that there is no for lease/available sign on the old Munchies building? I noticed workers working on the interior of the building the same day there were workers working on the sales center for Chicora. Hopefully this is a good sign that something is moving in. :)

Are both Evolve Male and Reys Market & Deli located in the West End? I am intrigued by both. :)

Thanks for the update pics. :thumbsup:

Evolve Male is on West Washington Street across from Wild Wing Cafe while Reys Market & Deli is located where Venti used to be on North Main Street. There is also a new cuban restaurant on East Broad Street in that 1-2 story building next to the Elliott Davis building.

Edited by citylife

I am not surprised the the debate rages on between local tenants and national chains downtown. I am all for supporting stores that are local and good, but I refuse to feel obligated to support something simply because it's local. The reverse is also true. I will not go to a national chain simply because it's recognizable; it must also be good. Isn't that how most people are?

I totally understand the concerns of local businesspeople, but in any city - even the largest ones - some of the most successful businesses are owned by locals who have succeeded in their niche market. And they have likely been so successful partly because they are local. Visiting their store/restaurant becomes one of those "things to do" when you are in that city. The word-of-mouth and, at times, even regional exposure these places get is unbelievable. National chains can't touch local businesses who are great at what they do.

So I say all of that to say this: if a local retailer is good at what they do, and offer consumers something they really like, they don't have to worry about national chains. It's the local retailers who don't really have a good product and/or have not marketed their product well who should be concerned. And is it really our job to intervene?

I am not surprised the the debate rages on between local tenants and national chains downtown. I am all for supporting stores that are local and good, but I refuse to feel obligated to support something simply because it's local. The reverse is also true. I will not go to a national chain simply because it's recognizable; it must also be good. Isn't that how most people are?

I totally understand the concerns of local businesspeople, but in any city - even the largest ones - some of the most successful businesses are owned by locals who have succeeded in their niche market. And they have likely been so successful partly because they are local. Visiting their store/restaurant becomes one of those "things to do" when you are in that city. The word-of-mouth and, at times, even regional exposure these places get is unbelievable. National chains can't touch local businesses who are great at what they do.

So I say all of that to say this: if a local retailer is good at what they do, and offer consumers something they really like, they don't have to worry about national chains. It's the local retailers who don't really have a good product and/or have not marketed their product well who should be concerned. And is it really our job to intervene?

I completely agree...

You know, I've never understood why Coffee Underground would be worried about Dunkin Donuts across the street. They get so much business and have a lot of support already...the customers, especially the loyal ones who are there a lot, aren't going to start frequenting DD all the time. (of course there will be a little more competition now with Liquid Highway open!)