The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

An article in the Journal says that CC3 LLC, the Covington local franchise, filed for bankruptcy on Nov. 5 and had between 50 and 99 creditors.

Seems another coffee company could move into the Wachovia Place location with ease. Such a great location.

Just as a casual observer but it looks like Liquid Highway has really been making serious in-roads in the past year with expanding locations, a new logo, events and good word of mouth via the social media.

Leopard Forest is great but I'm not sure if they have any plans for retail expansion as far as shops go. They almost didn't even have a cafe set up.

It seems like Coffee Underground if they did expand would need another underground location unless the new location was called something different or they at least redefined what "underground" meant.

An article in the Journal says that CC3 LLC, the Covington local franchise, filed for bankruptcy on Nov. 5 and had between 50 and 99 creditors.

Seems another coffee company could move into the Wachovia Place location with ease. Such a great location.

That is a great location, and I still think that the former Port City Java in the West End is a solid one as well. I am not opposed to a local coffee shop coming in, but I also think it would be great to see Caribou Coffee or Einstein Bros. in our downtown. :thumbsup:

Liquid Highway definitely seems to be doing well. The Main Street location was packed this morning.

Caribou or Einstein Bros would both be good. Einstein is doing that neat location in a historic building by North Greenville University. Hmmmm.......could be a winner.

On another note, noticed that work is well underway inside the new 2 level Main Street Dunkin Donuts location.

• 2 weeks later...

Bergens is one of the places my wife gets her Vera Bradley stuff. Too bad.

As for another coffee shop assuming the old PCJ location in Wells Fargo Place, I checked into Caribou Coffee a while back. Caribou requires a minimum commitment from the franchisee for 6 locations in a new market. That's a pretty steep entry fee/barrier (depending on your point of view) for a market the size of Greenville, already saturated with coffee shops. Liquid Highway already has a new location downtown in the Hyatt. I could see Starbucks easily opening a second location downtown and this would be perfect for them...but they're closing stores as it is. Perhaps it would just be better if something other than a coffee shop went in there?

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea which level or which space in Riverplace they'll open in?

I'm hearing they'll be located in Suite 203 inside the Terrace building: http://www.riverplacesc.com/pdf/Terrace920Level.pdf Middle ground floor space next to bike/walking path and Reedy River.

Edited by citylife

I thought that was going to be all artist spaces? Has that plan changed, or does it not take up the entire floor?

I thought it was going to be all artist spaces too, but they said suite 203. The only way I could be wrong is if they changed the suite numbers around. :unsure: Maybe they changed the plans for the artist spaces. :dontknow:

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked the Cantinflas patio area for outdoor dining. Also, I've always thought that the sidewalk at Senor Wraps was too cramped for the umbrellas they used. Anyway, I hope they do some work on the inside to make it more spacious and possible open up the upstairs for dining possibilities...? I love being in Chicora Alley and looking down over FAlls Park and Main Street. Hopefully a similar experience can be offered?

I always liked the Cantinflas patio area for outdoor dining. Also, I've always thought that the sidewalk at Senor Wraps was too cramped for the umbrellas they used. Anyway, I hope they do some work on the inside to make it more spacious and possible open up the upstairs for dining possibilities...? I love being in Chicora Alley and looking down over FAlls Park and Main Street. Hopefully a similar experience can be offered?

I agree. The Cantinflas patio has always been a great spot to spend a Saturday afternoon, kick back, drink and people watch. Hopefully the new location will have a good vibe. At the moment, I'm not very fond of Senor Wraps, or the building it is in.