The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

• 3 weeks later...

The new Cantinflas has opened on Main Street where Senor Wraps was located. The Liquid Highway going inside the old Port City Java space is scheduled to open in two weeks.

How does the new Cantinflas location look?

Any word on who will replace the old Cantinflas location?

How does the new Cantinflas location look?

Any word on who will replace the old Cantinflas location?

It looks just like the old location to me. Not exactly sure what the point of moving was. :dontknow: The new restaurant has the same color schemes and the outdoor deck on both sides of the entrance that overlooks the sidewalk. I'm not sure what if anything is planned at the old Cantinflas location.

It looks just like the old location to me. Not exactly sure what the point of moving was. :dontknow: The new restaurant has the same color schemes and the outdoor deck on both sides of the entrance that overlooks the sidewalk. I'm not sure what if anything is planned at the old Cantinflas location.

Perhaps they feel like the new location will give their business a shot in the arm, especially since it is closer to the falls. I agree with you though, it doesn't make much sense given the fact that the interior design, outdoor deck, etc. are seemingly identical.

Perhaps they feel like the new location will give their business a shot in the arm, especially since it is closer to the falls. I agree with you though, it doesn't make much sense given the fact that the interior design, outdoor deck, etc. are seemingly identical.

They didn't own the other building.

They didn't own the other building.

Can I infer from this statement that they do own the building where their new location is? I know they also owned Senior Wraps, but wasn't sure if the space was owned or leased. This was the last of the Senior Wraps locations, wasn't it? They're all gone now? Sad. :cry:

Can I infer from this statement that they do own the building where their new location is? I know they also owned Senior Wraps, but wasn't sure if the space was owned or leased. This was the last of the Senior Wraps locations, wasn't it? They're all gone now? Sad. :cry:

It is sad! I thought they had good food, I don't know why they never got any business. (at least not on evenings) I tried to go a few times at night around 9 and they always told me they were closed even though the hours on the door said 10... :dontknow:

I think the reason for the move is that Cantiflas leased their old space and it was up for renewal and they own the senor wraps building so they moved it in to the building they own

As I drove down Main today, I noticed several empty buildings that are prime locations for development.

286 N Main has been sitting empty for years now (The old New Orleans style restaurant,I cant think of the name), you would think that someone would take advantage of this building considering its location at the top of Main.

K-Wig Faishons still has yet to secure a tenant.

The old Kembrells building is still empty (I thought Spinx bought and or was remodeling this one)

450 Main (Next to Peace Center) with the fading "Roy M Gullick Architect" sign has been sitting vacant for years now

The "Hardware" store next to Pomegranate is sitting empty

684 S Main (Next to Rick Erwins) is empty

3-Story 688 S Main next to Army Navy has been vacant for years (Is it even for sale? This would be a prime location for a movie theater IMO)

These are just a few, there are many more, including 2nd level parcels. Before we look to build more, shouldnt we fill what we have?

ALSO

The Hotdog King was closed today, which is suprising. Will they close for good considering the owner died? I really hope that they can stay open, they are a downtown tradition.

The former "New Orleans" place you are referring to is Betty Pearle's Bourbon Street Bordello. I don't know if I agree about it being an especially good location, though. While it sees a lot of drive-by traffic at the "top" of Main Street's most popular stretch, it is also in an area that pedestrians tend to stop short of when turning around to head the other way. There isn't really much for the pedestrian past Betty Pearle's, unless someone is continuing on to Cafe and Then Some.

With that said, I really like the building's corner location. It is a great space, and would be a suitable location for something that can draw people in, as opposed to relying on people to be walking by. It's too bad that the Landmark Building kills the pedestrian experience on the next block.

As I drove down Main today, I noticed several empty buildings that are prime locations for development.

These are just a few, there are many more, including 2nd level parcels. Before we look to build more, shouldnt we fill what we have?

While I agree that filling vacant space is preferable to adding new space in another location, "we" don't have a vital say about the way in which these places evolve. Some developers prefer to utilize existing vacant space whenever available, while others are only interested in brand new construction. Other less visible factors play a role as well, including lease rates and owner restrictions, not to mention lots of code requirements.

According to DPC applications, Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant will move into the old Cantinflas location.

Someone is also proposing to create a "community garden" at the corner of South Main and Wardlaw Streets in the West End. It will grow vegetables available to the neighborhood residents. I find this to be very interesting. We'll see how it turns out.

Someone is also proposing to create a "community garden" at the corner of South Main and Wardlaw Streets in the West End. It will grow vegetables available to the neighborhood residents. I find this to be very interesting. We'll see how it turns out.

Do you have any more info on this, I know my wife and I would be very interesting in something like this. Kind of like a co-op huh?

According to DPC applications, Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant will move into the old Cantinflas location.

A community garden is a really interesting idea, however-- how do you regulate who comes and takes the vegetables? Would it be publicly accessible?

By the way, I just saw where Citylife posted the Guadalajara opening. Sorry for the repetition.

As for the Community Garden, it's on the City's upcoming agendas (Zoning perhaps?). I'm really not sure why a private party would want to open a community garden on a prime parcel of land...

By the way, I just saw where Citylife posted the Guadalajara opening. Sorry for the repetition.

As for the Community Garden, it's on the City's upcoming agendas (Zoning perhaps?). I'm really not sure why a private party would want to open a community garden on a prime parcel of land...

I agree. Save this for a side street that is not such a prime intersection.

A few updates:

-Mojitos is now open.

-Liquid Highway is now open in the old Port City Java space.

-Dunkin Donuts has stalled.

-A new restaurant called Enfuego will be opening soon at McBee Station.

-Renovations on the old Cantinflas space to make way for Guadalajara have started.

A few updates:

-Mojitos is now open.

-Liquid Highway is now open in the old Port City Java space.

-Dunkin Donuts has stalled. :(

-A new restaurant called Enfuego will be opening soon at McBee Station.

-Renovations on the old Cantinflas space to make way for Guadalajara have started.

Why has the DD location stalled?