The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

Apparently some Atlanta guys are looking to open a baseball memorabilia shop downtown / West End. I can only hope the store goes in the Fieldhouse. Makes perfect sense.

Very interesting! That indeed would be a great location. Is it a franchise, or their own concept that they're pursuing? More retail, especially of the unique variety, is definitely welcome! I'm looking forward to hearing more about this...

Very interesting! That indeed would be a great location. Is it a franchise, or their own concept that they're pursuing? More retail, especially of the unique variety, is definitely welcome! I'm looking forward to hearing more about this...

From what I understand, they own a couple of Mr. Knickerbockers type places in Atlanta. I'll see if I can find out more.

WOW! Everyone hold on to what you've got, check out the old Kimbrell's building on South Main: DPC application

Carolina Ale House is the proposed tenant and will occupy the first and second floors of the art deco building. It will be set up like Cantiflas, with the entrance retracted into the building, allowing for outdoor dining. The renderings look VERY attractive! This is going to be such a great renovation and boost for this block! :shades: And, a retractable roof? I'm looking forward to this moving forward... :thumbsup:

You can check out the Carolina Ale House website here: Carolina Ale House It looks like a fun environment. Their 2 SC locations are in Columbia, and it mentions Greenville as "Coming Soon".

Edited by GvilleSC

WOW! Everyone hold on to what you've got, check out the old Kimbrell's building on South Main: DPC application

Carolina Ale House is the proposed tenant and will occupy the first and second floors of the art deco building. It will be set up like Cantiflas, with the entrance retracted into the building, allowing for outdoor dining. The renderings look VERY attractive! This is going to be such a great renovation and boost for this block! :shades: And, a retractable roof? I'm looking forward to this moving forward... :thumbsup:

You can check out the Carolina Ale House website here: Carolina Ale House It looks like a fun environment. Their 2 SC locations are in Columbia, and it mentions Greenville as "Coming Soon".

The rendering does look great! :thumbsup: I'm glad to see this building get new life, just wish it was something better. I've eaten at Carolina Ale House and both the food and experience were unimpressive, IMO. Very average at best.

Wow is right! This looks outstanding. They are taking a very bland building, and doing things with it that I never thought possible. I just hope the DPC doesn't view it as "too radical" (or worse, too much of a bar). Surely the DPC will approve this, right?

I have been to Carolina Ale House in Columbia (the one near Five Points). It was definitely older inside - not nearly as nice as ours will surely be - but I enjoyed my food. For standard bar fare, I thought it was fine. This will surely be a nice place to get a drink, too! I hope they will have plenty of live music acts on the second floor with the roof open! :thumbsup:

It's preserving the building's Art Deco deatures, it ought to go though the DPC like water through a duck. It will be good to see something in this building since it hasw been vacate for at least 10 years now, if not longer. Maybe Carolina First will sell the parking lot next to it. They could use the money.

I have been to Carolina Ale House in Columbia (the one near Five Points). It was definitely older inside - not nearly as nice as ours will surely be - but I enjoyed my food.

Five Points or the Vista? The one in the Vista used to be a hardware store. Never eaten there, but it always looks packed the couple of times I've passed by it. It will be just as popular in Greenville as well, I imagine.

Five Points or the Vista? The one in the Vista used to be a hardware store. Never eaten there, but it always looks packed the couple of times I've passed by it. It will be just as popular in Greenville as well, I imagine.

You know what? I'm thinking about Publick House. I don't know how I got these two confused. :P

New business in the West End? This DPC application is for signage for "On the Roxx, at the West End". DPC app

I never knew what Zaidee Estella's was, but it's taking the place of its sign. It sounds like an upscale bar, perhaps? The application is only for the sign and doesn't provide info on the business. anyone have info?

New business in the West End? This DPC application is for signage for "On the Roxx, at the West End". DPC app

I never knew what Zaidee Estella's was, but it's taking the place of its sign. It sounds like an upscale bar, perhaps? The application is only for the sign and doesn't provide info on the business. anyone have info?

Interesting. Looks like the place could go either way....could be good, or could be a big load of cheese. I'm always slightly bothered when stores try to change the spelling to be cute.....ie: Kozy Korner. Roxx spelled that way also takes me straight back to the 80's and makes me think of Roxxette, leg warmers and mullets. :lol:

I'll try to reserve judgment on this new place and wait and see.

Edited by gsupstate

Interesting. Looks like the place could go either way....could be good, or could be a big load of cheese. I'm always slightly bothered when stores try to change the spelling to be cute.....ie: Kozy Korner. Roxx spelled that way also takes me straight back to the 80's and makes me think of Roxxette, leg warmers and mullets. :lol:

I'll try to reserve judgment on this new place and wait and see.

I think the signage is neat, and am optimistic that this will be a nice place. :)

This section of Main Street has good potential, especially since it is located sort of "in between" Center City and the West End. If this small area of storefronts can sustain itself, the perceived gap between these two districts will be narrowed. :thumbsup:

Uh, this building is well inside the West End, connected to American Grocery Restaurant. The owner's name is interesting, Bada Bing LLC. Not sure what to think at this point, without any details.

Did anyone read the article in the paper a few days ago about the various projects making progress in downtown? One of the businesses mentioned is Rick Erwin's Nantucket Seafood Grill, which is planned for the first floor of the new Main @ Broad building.

Uh, this building is well inside the West End, connected to American Grocery Restaurant. The owner's name is interesting, Bada Bing LLC. Not sure what to think at this point, without any details.

Did anyone read the article in the paper a few days ago about the various projects making progress in downtown? One of the businesses mentioned is Rick Erwin's Nantucket Seafood Grill, which is planned for the first floor of the new Main @ Broad building.

My apologies, I thought On the Roxx was in the small section of storefronts on Main between Broad Street and the Reedy River.

It was good to read about the projects that are progressing downtown. :thumbsup:

Wasn't the Bada Bing the strip club/mob HQ on The Sopranos??? :)

• 2 weeks later...