The State of Downtown Retail

GvilleSC

I had never seen (or noticed) this before, but Loose Lucy's set up a table in downtown Clemson yesterday for the game, featuring their orange and purple merchandise. They seemed to be doing a pretty swift business. Hopefully this may get their name out there to some fans and students, and draw a few more people to downtown Greenville to shop...? Anyway, I thought it was a good strategy!

Benetz is closing. :(
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/West-t20...86#entry1085386 I am not as upset about Benetz closing as I am about The Healthy Lounge closing. That place is great and in a perfect location. At least it will be easy to acquire something else for that sweet spot along the river. I would also love to see something open in the vacant T@RP space next to the fountain. Not sure whether a restaurant would be best, or perhaps something else.

Why? :dontknow: Is there something wrong with the vacuum store? :huh:

No, there is nothing wrong with a vacuum store. The location though...that's what I don't understand. Maybe 50 years ago (or however long it was...idk!) when everybody lived closer to downtown and there were stores like JC Penny and all, but not now. People go to walmart, sears, target, etc where you could most likely by them cheaper. I have never seen anyone in that store. It doesn't fit into what our downtown has become at all! If you're walking down the sidewalk browsing shops and you walk by a vacuum store...who's gonna go in? Unless you need a vacuum, nobody. Has anyone here been in there or bought something there?

No, there is nothing wrong with a vacuum store. The location though...that's what I don't understand. Maybe 50 years ago (or however long it was...idk!) when everybody lived closer to downtown and there were stores like JC Penny and all, but not now. People go to walmart, sears, target, etc where you could most likely by them cheaper. I have never seen anyone in that store. It doesn't fit into what our downtown has become at all! If you're walking down the sidewalk browsing shops and you walk by a vacuum store...who's gonna go in? Unless you need a vacuum, nobody. Has anyone here been in there or bought something there?

I always stop in the vacuum store before heading out for drinks or to dinner or a party. Dust Busters make great party accessories! If going to High Cotton, I only walk in with a Dyson...nothing less! :P

A visit to Halfway to Habana's web site (http://www.halfwaytohabana.com) reveals this announcement: "GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! HALFWAY TO HABANA IS MOVING TO OUR NEW LOCATION ON SEPTEMBER 1..."

Apparently this project is delayed, as the September 1 target has come and gone without the promised opening, and the web site has been changed to read "...MOVING TO OUR NEW LOCATION IN SEPTEMBER..."

I was Best Man at a wedding held downtown this weekend, and I had wanted to bring the men in the wedding party to the new H2H for drinks and smokes after the rehearsal dinner on Friday. (The groom, in particular, would have liked that.) However, earlier in the week I had looked into the window to see that work was far from complete. I'll be surprised if the new location is finished by the end of the month.

Still, I think this should be a popular venue once it opens. There's a place in the downtown for both smokers and non-smokers, and, even though I generally belong in the latter group, I welcome this unique new enterprise that should cater to a well heeled, upscale clientele.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the silver/grey one that used to have brown paper all over the windows next to Cantinflas. 28 South Main Street if you want to look it up on http://maps.google.com

That's it. I show an old turn of the century photo of that building on my walking tours. There are 3 windows still there in the upper right of the building that reveal part of what the old building looked like. I've always been curious to see if and when the new tenant comes in if they will take off the silver/grey bricks and reveal the rest of the old building (if it is still intact under the current facade).

-The ugly blue building that houses the convenience store at the intersection of Main at McBee has been repainted a tan brown and looks ten times better than before.

-Halfway to Habana's new location is now open.

-A gem/mineral store has opened where Drake's Flowers used to be located.

-Renovations have begun on the building that used to house Cantinflas.

-A restaurant/bar is definitely going into the former K-Wig building.

-A new deli will be going in the former Cantinflas location.

-A red board of zoning appeals sign is up on the first floor of the four story yellow building on Main Street between the former Halfway to Habana building and Creative Health.

-A restaurant named Red Rock Cafe will be opening soon in the West End.

-Work continues for On The Roxx restaurant which will be opening soon.

-A tenant has been found for the old Benetz location in the West End. Don't know who it is yet. It might be Red Rock Cafe. Not sure.

Edited by citylife